Autopsy Round 18: Collingwood 45-61 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s certainly possible. I would like to see a change in Assistant Coach or two. I feel like we need some fresh eyes, that and a decent run with injury.
Has there been a year in the last 8 or 9 when we haven't said that?;)

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree. The Experiment has not worked. He has never had a defensive mindset. It's been all about midfield and running all the time in both directions.
He should of started his career elsewhere and move to us after experience as a nobody.
Not had a defensive mindset? Are you kidding...
We are the best defensive team in the comp, and he has kept some of our v best players back there as he believes even “attack is driven from defence”. Not to mention defensive efforts all around the ground.

It’s his obsession with handball that has partly come unstuck, which wastes time and allows teams to set up quickly, which then exposes our other problem - F50 entries and strategy. But the biggest issue for me is still our substandard skills and decision making - outside of our back line kicks. Years ago he said that he isn’t going to teach a league footballer how to kick, which is either an insight into what is still hurting us now, or we just have too many poorly skilled and low IQ footballers, which other teams continue to expose. Or we do it voluntarily! I really want to know the answer to this, as development has gone backwards, with Grundy doing the simplest of skills poorly - jump timing and tap work... kicks and handballs to players feet time and time again... and only a handful of our stars being trusted to make the right decision 80% of the time. Either he is livid himself at some of these things, has tried but just can’t do the job for them - and won’t crucify them in interviews, or he hasn’t paid enough attention to it, and it’s still his Achilles heel. Honestly don’t know the full answer to this, but the continued selection of certain players, the failure to fix Grundy, and the higher level skills and decision making of The league’s top 5 teams, is damning vs what we have served up lately. Always like hearing unbiased opinions on this, as it wasn’t long ago that we smacked the dogs in rd 1... but the future success of our club depends on it imo.

mwhop

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Sier goes to the Bombers, we may as well pack up shop for the next 5 years. He is one of the few bright hopes we have who also strengthens an obvious weakness i.e. big skilled midfielders.
We have a few deficiencies that's for sure.

But I lost count last night at how many times I yelled "where is the crumber???"

For all our problems, this might be our biggest...even worse than our need for a key forward.

That said, surely it has to be more structural than anything else. I mean how hard is it to tell a player to be at the feet of a forward. Surely any half decent footballer can be taught basic positioning for a crumb. The big issue is that its not even poor positioning, there is literally no one there!

Tells me our smalls are getting sucked too far in or just have no idea where to be or who to crumb to.

This needs to be sharpened up. Maybe you need to sacrifice Treloar or Elliott in the midfield...or tell Stephenson to simply stay at Cox's feet. Maybe Daicos is the one. Thomas, Varcoe and Brown are never there and don't kick goals.
id love to see sidey as a 70% time forward

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not gonna lie. That presser was his worst for the year. Some of the comments were just putrid. We have the same issues every single week and never even remotely acknowledges them
Too harsh imo. He’s being measured and not publicly hanging his players. Club is an inner sanctum nowadays, outside of genetic snippets and feel good vision, that fans have demanded.. and got. Tough ask 10 mins after the siren. Our comments in this forum show that most wouldn’t be able to do that.

I don’t care what he says to media, but do care what he does. If the right messages and actual coaching doesnt get through to the players, then we have a problem...

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Too harsh imo. He’s being measured and not publicly hanging his players. Club is an inner sanctum nowadays, outside of genetic snippets and feel good vision, that fans have demanded.. and got. Tough ask 10 mins after the siren. Our comments in this forum show that most wouldn’t be able to do that.

I don’t care what he says to media, but do care what he does. If the right messages and actual coaching doesnt get through to the players, then we have a problem...
Maybe was a little harsh.. only a little though 😬

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every club in the comp seems to do this except us. We actually sit off the mark 2m - 3m metres instead. Shits me to no end...

Yep it's a really minor thing but manning the mark with intent can make a huge difference at times. Our boys generally stand on the mark like they're waiting for their morning coffee. A little intensity goes a long way.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I gave up as well same issues every week. Same presser every week. I believe bucks relaxed a bit in 2018 as he Needed to try a new approach( he actually said this) but I feel like he has got his grip on the team again as we have had the same issues every year except 2018

Not sure what it is, I just think he's lost faith in himself in that he can't find an alternate system that works. It's like he has the fastest car on the grid but his is electric and there's no where to plug in.

Swooper18

All Australian
Dec 22, 2008
South Yarra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
In the final game of the regular season before the finals, Collingwood failed against Port Adelaide by 16 points and consigned themselves with a trip to Perth, with a week of quarantine in Joondalup upon arrival into Western Australia on Friday. The Magpies had periods of dominance which the Power would surpass with greater conviction and execution in general play before getting their rewards on the scoreboard at the right time when the Woods challenged and threatened to run away with the points on at least two occasions throughout the contest. Showing and displaying glimpses against quality opponents will not work for Collingwood. Heading into their next game, the Magpies will need to justify their capabilities for longer periods to outweigh their glimpses, otherwise the 2020 season will culminate in the blink of an eye if there's no action taken.

Collingwood's gains came from handballs by +17 (150 - 133), hit-outs were won by +15 (42 - 27), +3 for contested possessions (120 - 117), Contested Marks had a differential of +7 (11 - 4), while tackles had a margin of +11 (50 - 39), and Tackles Inside 50 were won by +6 (12 - 6). Port Adelaide won their categories from disposals by +6 (317 - 311), won kicks by +23 (184 - 161), uncontested possessions were won by +6 (200 - 194), while marks had a margin of +21 (83 - 62), with uncontested marks won by +28 (79 - 51). Clearances had a differential of +10 (39 - 29), with centre clearances won by +10 (14 - 4), while Marks Inside 50 were won by +3 (7 - 4), and +9 for Inside 50s (44 - 35). Stoppage clearances (25 each) was the only neutral category in dispute.

Tatylor Adams (26 disposals @ 62%, 485 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 11 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) worked extremely hard in the clinches, with his defensive work to tackle relentlessly inside the stoppages a real feature. Looked the most likely player to win a clearance for much of the evening without being overly effective.

Adam Treloar (24 disposals @ 71%, 9 contetsed possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 19 handballs, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) won plenty of possessions, but chose to dish off by hand too much. Find time and space to kick the ball, Adam. You've got pace to burn off your opponents. Utilise that strength more often to be of greater value to your side.

Scott Pendlebury (23 disposals @ 65%, 353 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 12 handballs, 6 tackles, 3 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 7 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) in his 314th game (a new club record), was the only midfielder creating scoring opportunities from his possessions when everybody else were below par. Pendlebury also laid plenty of tackles, and won his fair share of clearances.

Josh Daicos (19 disposals @ 74%, 303 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had a solid game again on the wing without being damaging. Spent most of the night maintaining possession or kicking long to a contest.

Brodie Grundy (18 disposals @ 89%, 9 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 36 hit-outs, 5 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) won plenty of possessions and taps that amounted to nothing. I'd like to see Grundy wind back the clock a bit and take the ball from ruck contests and kick the ball to a dangerous spot in his team's forward arc. Might as well win centre clearances yourself Brodie, given the midfield is not able to win them for the majority of the time, and don't just gift your ruck opponent (Charlie Dixon ) a very simple goal in the defensive corridor. I don't want to see that repeated.

Jamie Elliott (15 disposals @ 53%, 104 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 1 goal) had his poorest game of the season. No issues with finding the footy, just his inability to make reasonable decisions on the run. I'm a firm believer that Elliott needs to be rotated forward of the play for periods within quarters. The experiment of Elliott as a midfielder has been a modest success in 2020, and I don't think Elliott should be attending the majority of centre bounces in 2021. The list management team will need to find better alternatives once the season has culminated.

Jack Crisp (25 disposals @ 64%, 392 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 21 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 14 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) was forced to work significantly hard for his disposals behind the ball. Crisp was denied access to marks, which suits him and the team's brand of footy a lot more. Every possession that Crisp won was under pressure which made Collingwood's ball movement from defence that much tougher.

Brayden Maynard (18 disposals @ 83%, 479 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) had just 4 possessions in the first half, before generating significant rebounds and transition from defence in the second half. Improved starkly as the game went longer.

Isaac Quaynor (16 disposals @ 94%, 138 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had his line-breaking game taken away by the Power, and was forced to kick short or handpass to a teammate under pressure. Quaynor is a much more effective player when he is able to play off his opponent to receive handpasses and kick long or accurately to a leading forward. None of that happened against Port Adelaide. Hopefully, it will against the Eagles.

John Noble (15 disposals @ 93%, 319 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) spent all of the game linking up effective kicks to maintain possession or by kicking to long to a contest that would result in stoppages. His dash off half-back was largely diminished.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (10 disposals @ 90%, 111 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 goal assists & 5 score involvements) took his marks and created goals. That was basically it.

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 56%, 6 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 4 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 goals) chimed in with two goals without being influential.

Jaidyn Stephenson (8 disposals @ 75%, 118 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks & 1 goal) is currently out of sorts, which saddens me deeply as Jaidyn is my main man (favourite player). His decisions with the ball when he got dispossessed twice was atrocious, and despite kicking a goal to put the Woods in front during the third term, he conceded that his goal was touched, which was not reviewed at the time. I don't think having Stephenson on the wing will solve his issues. He is best suited as a high half-forward that leads at the ball carrier to take marks, or by beating his opponent out the back with his pace to kick goals. Neither of those aspects have been seen in his last two games, and it remains to be seen if he is able to play in Perth.

Jordan De Goey (7 disposals @ 71%, 172 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 2 score involvements & 1 goal) was extremely quiet and non-existent, despite kicking a goal in the last quarter that gave the Magpies a pulse that ultimately got snuffed out.

Mason Cox (7 disposals @ 43%, 199 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 6 hit-outs, 6 kicks, 5 marks, 5 Contested Marks, 3 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) was the bail-out option on the wing for the entire game and was able to take marks to keep possession and give Grundy a chop-out in the ruck, but that was where the story ended for Mason. No scoreboard impact from him which was very disappointing to say the least.

Collingwood's next game will be against West Coast on October 3 at Optus Stadium. The priority now is to keep 2020 alive for as long as possible. A loss against the Eagles would be as painful as losing an hour of sleep the following morning to commence daylight savings. Come on Woods, keep ensuring there is daylight left in the 2020 season against the rising tide of darkness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KJaY32

Debutant
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah centre clearances were dreadful have to agree there. Not sure what's going on with our stoppage coaching
I’d like to see some hard players in the centre and make sure we win the ball. Would love to see degoey and Maynard smash some bodies in there

TheWoodsOf72

All Australian
May 13, 2009
Elsternwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
German National Soccer Team
Not had a defensive mindset? Are you kidding...
We are the best defensive team in the comp, and he has kept some of our v best players back there as he believes even “attack is driven from defence”. Not to mention defensive efforts all around the ground.

It’s his obsession with handball that has partly come unstuck, which wastes time and allows teams to set up quickly, which then exposes our other problem - F50 entries and strategy. But the biggest issue for me is still our substandard skills and decision making - outside of our back line kicks. Years ago he said that he isn’t going to teach a league footballer how to kick, which is either an insight into what is still hurting us now, or we just have too many poorly skilled and low IQ footballers, which other teams continue to expose. Or we do it voluntarily! I really want to know the answer to this, as development has gone backwards, with Grundy doing the simplest of skills poorly - jump timing and tap work... kicks and handballs to players feet time and time again... and only a handful of our stars being trusted to make the right decision 80% of the time. Either he is livid himself at some of these things, has tried but just can’t do the job for them - and won’t crucify them in interviews, or he hasn’t paid enough attention to it, and it’s still his Achilles heel. Honestly don’t know the full answer to this, but the continued selection of certain players, the failure to fix Grundy, and the higher level skills and decision making of The league’s top 5 teams, is damning vs what we have served up lately. Always like hearing unbiased opinions on this, as it wasn’t long ago that we smacked the dogs in rd 1... but the future success of our club depends on it imo.

Not defensive mindset. Its about the entire backline. You cannot have a good defensive backline using obsessive handball. You are always under pressure and turn it over. I won't mention also the number of kickouts that have gone a stray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back