Official Match Thread Season 37 Round 18 - Gold City Royals v Ophidian Old Boys at The Golden Throne

Who wins this marquee matchup?

• OOB

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • OOB but in red

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • See results (but also OOB)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, LA Lakers, LSU Tigers
Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 11.14.11 am.png

Round 18
Gold City Royals v Ophidian Old Boys at The Golden Throne

Current Standings

1715648485006.png

Last Time They Met
=====================================
SIREN SOUNDS FOR THE END OF QUARTER 4
Ophidian Old Boys : 23.18.156
Gold City Royals : 20.15.135
=====================================

It was a fierce end to end stoush last time these two teams played, racking up 291 points between them, during which the Old Boys had a significant lead, but let their foot off the gas too early to watch the Royals come storming home and (almost) steal their thunder. Both teams are already locked into finals, and as seen by the standings are almost impossible to separate. This match is pure jousting for position and possibly home team advantage, but I can't see either team taking too many risks at the selection table or in the off field preamble.

Who to watch (on-field)
Harvey Man 0 8 0 0 1 3 2 6 2 63 Brenton Da 0 11 1 0 3 0 0 8 3 99
SarahSmile 0 17 0 18 9 6 0 0 1 130

To no one's surprise, an almost 300 point game had two stars at either end in Harvey Manfrenjensenden and Brenton Davy kicking goals for fun. A combined 14 goals were kicked, with the latter outscoring his opponent in the end. In addition, @SarahSmiles racked up 35 touches, including 9 tackles and a huge 130DT in the losing side. Surely the OOB will try a tag role on gameday there.

Who to watch (off-field)
The two biggest contributors off the field were DemurePrincess and Cadsky - some may surmise they were the greatest motivators for their respective teams, some might say the biggest sh*t talkers. I'll let you lot be the judge. Sometimes there is quality over quantity, and other times, well you might just find in 100+ posts you score a gem or two. Someone try to out yap DP this week, I dare you.

What it means
As mentioned above, both teams are already a certainty for finals, this is more about who finishes where, plus a nice additional psychological edge over the opponent, should they have to face off in finals.

Who takes the chocolates

The Royals have had 4 wins in a row, 3 of them with margins of 48, 51 and 51 points. Someone is sleeping with the simmer, they have found a rich vein of form at the right time and will be hoping to continue the trend. If GreyCrow hits both milestones this week, they're every chance to enact their revenge from last time this fixture was held.

As for the SFA's favourite team, Tigerturbulance and the OOB are well on their way to complete the #cuptospoontocup treble that has never before been completed*. After being near inpenetrable for the first two thirds of the season, 3 losses from 4 have the OOB sliding back out of first place they had held all season long. Finals guaranteed, sure, but they'd want to stop this slump and find some ways to hit the scoreboard with regularity if they are going to be taken seriously in finals.
*not fact checked

Prediction: Ophidian Old Boys by 30 points.

Captains, get your teamsheets in at an appropriate time, or if ClarkeM has given you a deadline - then do that :p

Oh hey! Is this going to be another match thread where we banter with ourselves?
That's the royals. We banter with ourselves. We find the oppo team list, put the all on ignore and then just chat amongst ourselves. It's usually a great week. Old boys is different though. We typically don't consider anything they do relevant enough to care.

giphy.gif

Good luck Old boys. Always fun fronting up against you guys for the week. (you're not the bombers.)

There’s at least 11 teams worse than us to post against. This place isn’t as nice as Spotswood but will do for now.

Oh hey! Is this going to be another match thread where we banter with ourselves?
Come back to ours it's way more fun. ;)
Oh Hello, to all you others. Wait there's no one here.
What sort of thread is this from the ladder leaders....oh I see you are not playing your home ground and the others got lost on the way...oh and you found the gates locked when you arrived too. Uh huh.
Well can I just say I hope you win here OOB's because then you will be happy to lose again next week at Rassdanage.
I am fighting the Wonders admin for the access to towels but so far they won't even spring for paper ones in the visitors changerooms. Not looking good in the home comforts department at all soz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well can I just say I hope you win here OOB's because then you will be happy to lose again next week at Rassdanage.

How does 2 wins from 2 for the OOB sound? Great, right?

If not - I suggest you close your eyes next week Pam :p

Hi my little Carlton mate, you have got us next week to finish the home and away rounds.
Hi Robertio,
how's the serenity?
Yes, we have and I'm going to be very embarrassed by the facilities on offer at the Coloseum.
I'm doing my best but with budget cuts to pay for C's anger management courses, yes yet another court mandated one came this week and the fines we are broke. Don't tell them I told you that. We might have to move the grounds to Victoria so we look solvent next year.

Last edited:
Hi Robertio,
how's the serenity?
Yes, we have and I'm going to be very embarrassed by the facilities on offer at the Coloseum.
I'm doing my best but with budget cuts to pay for C's anger management courses, yes yet another court mandated one came this week and the fines we are broke. Don't tell them I told you that. We might have to move the grounds to Victoria so we look solevent next year.
All you need to make us(me) happy is plenty of Guinness and don't worry about your captain, recent history suggests he won't be there next season anyway :p

All you need to make us(me) happy is plenty of Guinness and don't worry about your captain, recent history suggests he won't be there next season anyway :p
It's not El Capitano who's got the fines though.
He is a good steward of the Wonders ship..though we do have a sea lice problem that's true.
Ok I'm going to be hung drawn and quartered now...best be off.
Hope we pluck some feathers this Friday night. Cheers.

Hi Wiz, nice to hear from you.
2 from 2 I might just have to poke them out with a burnt stick if that's the case.

No worries - I can help poke them out for you it's not a problem at all :)

That's the royals. We banter with ourselves. We find the oppo team list, put the all on ignore and then just chat amongst ourselves. It's usually a great week. Old boys is different though. We typically don't consider anything they do relevant enough to care.

Checks out - waiting for Cadsky to show up and answer this

Is there a reason I can’t tag @sarahsmiles? Hmm

Pamcake1 heyyyyyyy girlllllll!

See! I told you there wasn’t much doing here 🙄😂
Where am I?
Wait I need to read the instruction manual as GPS doesn't work here in the backblocks.
Where is it. Oh got it, I'll be back after I figure out where I'm meant to be....
PENGUIN.jpg

Where am I?
Wait I need to read the instruction manual as GPS doesn't work here in the backblocks.
Where is it. Oh got it, I'll be back after I figure out where I'm meant to be....
View attachment 1988802
I might be able to help, been to Collingwood a few times.

Back