Preview Round 18 - Melbourne Demons vs Brisbane Lions • Friday 14 July 2023 • 7:50 PM • MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
feel sorry for those poor sods on the melbourne board

will have danster banging on for the next 3 months about how he was right about grundy being a fail trade and they should have chased an elite kpf despite none being on the market last year

will have danster banging on for the next 3 months about how he was right about grundy being a fail trade and they should have chased an elite kpf despite none being on the market last year

This is some good gear thank you

Looks like Grundy's definitely not playing:

Personally I think this makes them more dangerous but then I've always thought Grundy was massively overrated.

I think Demons are messing with us.

Let's wait n see what the lineup looks like later today.

Oh man I so hope Rayner has a bigger game than Spargo. He's been on that argument for a long time now

Oh man I so hope Rayner has a bigger game than Spargo. He's been on that argument for a long time now

A Rayner 20 touch 2 goal game is on the cards. I can feel it in my bones!!

Agree with others re Grundy out actually helping Melbourne.

Two rucks has not really worked. Gawn gets to go back to being the big dog. And JVR a much better forward than either of their rucks, an actual goal threat. Was dropped and out of the side for some sort of team rule issue if you read between the lines with Goodwin.

We should have the edge at clearances but then we killed the hawks in clearances and still got smoked overall. Young players running their guts out at the mcg. This should be top of mind for us to avoid - keep Fletcher in and tell the wings they will be working hard. Just as important for our half forward line to do the same though. Charlie did last time v the hawks, nobody else did. Linc should be fresh. Others need to step up. I would play Gunston a bit deeper and have Eric roaming and also trying to cover that run. There is just that extra space at the mcg to create overlap - if one player doesn’t cover it’s enough. We’ll get a really good look at whether Gunston has fitness back this week.

At least seems like the back 7 will be the fast unit we have had since the hawks game.

As to what we should exploit - Melbourne really struggle to kick a score. No side ever actually aims for a shootout these days, but if we can we want to avoid a dour grind. If Melbourne want an extra at stoppage let them have it - exploit them on the outside. Keep May honest but also keep the forward line open.

Hipwood has 8 goals from his last 2 mcg outings. He should have some confidence

Agree with others re Grundy out actually helping Melbourne.

Two rucks has not really worked. Gawn gets to go back to being the big dog. And JVR a much better forward than either of their rucks, an actual goal threat. Was dropped and out of the side for some sort of team rule issue if you read between the lines with Goodwin.

We should have the edge at clearances but then we killed the hawks in clearances and still got smoked overall. Young players running their guts out at the mcg. This should be top of mind for us to avoid - keep Fletcher in and tell the wings they will be working hard. Just as important for our half forward line to do the same though. Charlie did last time v the hawks, nobody else did. Linc should be fresh. Others need to step up. I would play Gunston a bit deeper and have Eric roaming and also trying to cover that run. There is just that extra space at the mcg to create overlap - if one player doesn’t cover it’s enough. We’ll get a really good look at whether Gunston has fitness back this week.

At least seems like the back 7 will be the fast unit we have had since the hawks game.

As to what we should exploit - Melbourne really struggle to kick a score. No side ever actually aims for a shootout these days, but if we can we want to avoid a dour grind. If Melbourne want an extra at stoppage let them have it - exploit them on the outside. Keep May honest but also keep the forward line open.

Hipwood has 8 goals from his last 2 mcg outings. He should have some confidence

Between Hipwood and Gunston whoever attracts Lever (asssuming May goes to Daniher) should be working up the ground. Should be always looking to drag them up the ground to weaken their intercept potential down the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just plain wrong. Go to the match replay 12.55 in the last quarter and watch Lyons applying phenomenal forward line pressure. He sticks a killer tackle, gets the free kick, we play on to advantage and Gunston goals. He does exactly what you suggest he can’t do. People need to let the facts get in the road of their group thinking sometimes. The Lyons can’t chase and apply defensive pressure groupthink is like Ryan Lester can’t run groupthink. Watch the vision and tell me what you think.

Finally got around to watching this. It's a good effort but yeah my thoughts are basically the same as the below:

Its good pressure, but not an example of what most people refer to as Lyon's weakness. This turnover is coming from static play from the back pocket with the Lions setup defensively and the ball infront of everyone, including Lyons.

What most people are concerned with re Lyons is his ability to match the movement away from the contest/clearance, or transition back from a turnover.

We need to see the same effort tomorrow night going back into defence to save some goals, not just set them up. We've seen Neale drop into holes several times this year, even Ashcroft in his first season, and Dev Rob does it all the time when in the midfield role. The challenge is now on JL to add this string to his bow, and prove the old dog can learn new tricks. Sounds like he'll get his chance.

The problem Lyons brings is also a lot to do with team balance rather than just his lack of ability to spread/run defensively. The guy is an excellent footballer and 20ish years ago with the way the game was played then would likely be in the middle with Neale and Dunkley. Neale is currently playing taking the #1 mid role where there is less reliance defensively around the ground. You throw in Ashcroft who looks to be every bit as good as Lyons in the middle, albeit with some different strengths and weaknesses, it becomes clear that what we need in the middle with Neale/Ashy/Clugg etc is a Dunkley or Robertson type of player who runs well defensively and has real defensive intent. Our midfield is just stacked at the moment with guys who can play the role Lyons does best but are stronger in areas that aren't Lyons' strong suit allowing them to play supporting roles with better results.
Here, here! Well said!

Remember the people who pronounced Lester was slow, Lester can’t run, Lester butchers the ball (highest disposal efficiency at the club), Lester can’t intercept mark, Lester can’t tackle, Lester can’t play on stronger forwards, Lester is no good on the deck, Lester is ‘depth’ at best etc etc etc. Some people even appeared to greet Lester getting dropped with glee. Well they were not only wrong, but they were egregiously so.

Now we are getting much the same sort of group think around Lyons, who by every measure had a fantastic game last week and has been a key part of our revival since 2019. All the pile on of negativity against Lyons shows is that we have a lot of people on our board who really don’t have a solid enough grounding in AFL / VFL football.

Finally, on this, I don't think many of us are actually knocking JL's ability as a footballer. Certainly he was under par last year but once we became aware of his injury problems it actually made a lot of sense, a bit like the problems Joe had with his shoulder, and Harris had with his knee in 2021.

I think the issue a lot of us have is the fact that he is coming in for Dunkley, who brings a completely different mindset to the game. If Neale was injured and Lyons came in for him, okay, we're probably downgrading somewhat given we're losing a Brownlow Medallist, but at least we can see it's a bit more of a like for like in terms of ability and attitude towards going off and getting the ball.

So basically what p4p1 said. But, we'll see if JL's capable of bringing this tomorrow night. I think we'll learn a lot one way or the other.

By the way I think you will find I have rarely, if ever, criticised Ryan Lester, either during this season or before it. If I'd had my arm twisted I would probably have offered a preference for Gardiner in the past, but with no great conviction. Really pleased to see him playing some decent footy this year, as he did in 2020.

Between Hipwood and Gunston whoever attracts Lever (asssuming May goes to Daniher) should be working up the ground. Should be always looking to drag them up the ground to weaken their intercept potential down the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep. Lever also struggles to cover the ground well i reckon. Hipwood absolutely burned him in the semi final in the last quarter.

Lever is a bit of an odd player - awesome at his best when not too accountable and reading the play, especially with an opposition bombing it in. But can be really exposed 1-1 as he is not particularly strong nor quick.

Daniher needs to be on his absolute best behaviour this week - NO mark of the year attempts please, and NO faking in the ruck vs Gawn. Has been mostly awesome this year but does put in the odd shocker still. Thankfully he doesn't seem to do it out of the blocks these days but more ease in to a shocker - not get much of it early or kick goals, slowly gets frustrated, goes for screamers by the third quarter. The GWS game was great because he started doing this then went nah actually i can be better than that.

Gunners is going to rip the Demons to shreds. Insert 3kz fortune teller

donald trump applause GIF by franceinfo

Yep. Lever also struggles to cover the ground well i reckon. Hipwood absolutely burned him in the semi final in the last quarter.

Lever is a bit of an odd player - awesome at his best when not too accountable and reading the play, especially with an opposition bombing it in. But can be really exposed 1-1 as he is not particularly strong nor quick.

Daniher needs to be on his absolute best behaviour this week - NO mark of the year attempts please, and NO faking in the ruck vs Gawn. Has been mostly awesome this year but does put in the odd shocker still. Thankfully he doesn't seem to do it out of the blocks these days but more ease in to a shocker - not get much of it early or kick goals, slowly gets frustrated, goes for screamers by the third quarter. The GWS game was great because he started doing this then went nah actually i can be better than that.

Lever did tweak his ankle during the game last year which definitely helped Hipwood, though obviously Hippy probably would’ve played well all the same.

Agree on Daniher, May is very good at reading the play and ball in flight so Daniher needs to be up and aware and trying to body May to stop him from getting easy runs at any ball coming in. The midfield also needs to be smart in their kicking, as sometimes there’s nothing you can do if your midfield kicks to the opposition better than to you.

If Jarrod Lyons can reproduce his form v Eagles he will be doing just fine.
Demons will be more of a challenge though.
Lyons: 78% TOG, 29 disposals @ 72% (60% Def & 40% Fwd) 13 being contested, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 6 clearances, 8 score involvements, 21 pressure acts, 4 inside 50's, 3 rebound 50's and 383 meters gained.
This was his 1st full AFL game this season.

1689225049127.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back