Round 19, Box Hill Hawks v Coburg Tigers, 1.10pm, 4 August @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Final home game in the home and away season for the Hawks see them host the Coburg Tigers in a live televised game at Box Hill City Oval.

bhh-vs-coburg.gif

With the Hawks losing in disappointing fashion last week at home against Werribee, the Hawks will need to bounce back against the Tigers, who are no hope of reaching the finals this season with just four wins from 15 games. However, if Box Hill loses and results in other games go against Box Hill, there's a real possibility that Box Hill could slip outside the eight with only a couple of games left to play in the season. With trips away to Port Melbourne and Bendigo (plus a bye sandwiched in between), this is one game Box Hill can ill-afford to drop.

The seniors will play from 1.10pm with ABC1 providing live pictures if you're in Victoria and also you can follow the Box Hill Hawks at 94.1 3WBC or online at www.3wbc.org.au. The development squad will kick off the day from 10.00am.

Teams to follow.

Box Hill Hawks
B Mirra Gilham T. Murphy
HB Thompson Cheney Duryea
C Hill Jones Bateman
HF Ellis Pratt Muston
F Andrews Pattison Savage
R McCauley
RR Hallahan
R Schneider
Int Cust, Gilchrist, Lock
X. Murphy, Northe, Litherland
Bolton*, Wilsen, Tobin

No Wanganeen, Frank, Lowden or the forgotten man, Boumann.

Kelly & Langford named in the DS.

This is realistically a game Box Hill should win easily. We have a horror last three weeks of the season, with games against Port Melbourne at Port, a bye, and finally Bendigo at QEO, so this is a must win for the Stangers.

Coburg has some good talent with Graham, Derickx & Browne in the ruck, big Miller up forward, and, also, Webberley, Maric, O'Hanlon, Wheeler & Carnell.

Bateman is looking really good. His run and kicking skills are far superior to anyone on the field.
The chase down in the first quarter from Schneider was brilliant
The smother from Ellis (great to see him back) in the goal square was terrific also. And I think he has been pretty good so far

Bateman is looking really good. His run and kicking skills are far superior to anyone on the field.
The chase down in the first quarter from Schneider was brilliant
The smother from Ellis (great to see him back) in the goal square was terrific also. And I think he has been pretty good so far

Best you get your eyes checked mate. Bateman been awful. His kicks are shanks now. Id take Muston over Bateman.

X looking awesome. Might be an interesting one to play the sub role down the track.

Best you get your eyes checked mate. Bateman been awful. His kicks are shanks now. Id take Muston over Bateman.

X looking awesome. Might be an interesting one to play the sub role down the track.

Well from my view, he has been pretty good. His work rate off the ball is something most don't pick up on and has been really good I think.

Same thought I had about X. He couldn't do any worse than Savage at the moment.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pleased to see Ellis get through uninjured and show he has the talent to play AFL again. He was the pick of the HFC listed players by miles. Of the rest some of the younger developing kids showed a bit (Hallahan, Hill Schneider) and others (Litherland) did not. Some of the older guys did little to put any pressure on the selectors for the Port game. Against a pretty poor VFL team like Coburg, Gilham Murphy and Cheney didn't do much. In fact the BHH defence lowered their colours to the taller Coburg forwards. It is a bit of a worry when the senior team fields a short arsed defence and the BHH team is similar. Neither can take a contested mark which is not surprising as they all give away height and weight to their opponents.

Up forward ther is little coherent forward entry but compared to last week our goal kicking was ordinary rather than woeful.

to be honest the last two games have been so lack lustre it is difficult to gauge how some of the kids are coming along. Guys like Hill would find it a lot easier to get a kick in the senior team than at BOX Hill.

The boys will need a minor miracle to beat Port Melb next week.

Disappointing effort all up by Box Hill. At one stage, about half way through the second quarter, it looked as if we'd get up by over 100 points. A succession of behinds by BH was followed up by the last three goals of the quarter to Coburg. It was very even from then on in.

Given the ease with which Coburg has been beaten in recent weeks, the fact that they dropped a few senior players, and had less AFL talent in their side, this is a game we would have expected to have won a lot easier.

Box Hill Hawks 5.4 10.11 15.13 20.16 (136)
Coburg Tigers 3.1 7.1 12.2 18.4 (112)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Pratt 5 Jones 3 Muston 3 Schneider 2 Murphy 2 McCauley 2 Ellis 2 Bolton
Coburg Tigers: Miller 4 Elton 2 Derickx 2 Wheeler 2 Browne Carnell Maric Venditti Contin Clifton Graham Maric

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Jones Gilham Hallahan Pratt Bateman Murphy
Coburg Tigers: Fahey Browne Miller Maric Verrier Contin

Well from my view, he has been pretty good. His work rate off the ball is something most don't pick up on and has been really good I think.

Same thought I had about X. He couldn't do any worse than Savage at the moment.....

I watched the first half and thought Bateman was BOG. Thought his skills were pretty good as well. I think you will find both of these guys will be in the team by the end of the year. One as a sub.

Disappointing effort all up by Box Hill. At one stage, about half way through the second quarter, it looked as if we'd get up by over 100 points. A succession of behinds by BH was followed up by the last three goals of the quarter to Coburg. It was very even from then on in.

Given the ease with which Coburg has been beaten in recent weeks, the fact that they dropped a few senior players, and had less AFL talent in their side, this is a game we would have expected to have won a lot easier.

Box Hill Hawks 5.4 10.11 15.13 20.16 (136)
Coburg Tigers 3.1 7.1 12.2 18.4 (112)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Pratt 5 Jones 3 Muston 3 Schneider 2 Murphy 2 McCauley 2 Ellis 2 Bolton
Coburg Tigers: Miller 4 Elton 2 Derickx 2 Wheeler 2 Browne Carnell Maric Venditti Contin Clifton Graham Maric

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Jones Gilham Hallahan Pratt Bateman Murphy
Coburg Tigers: Fahey Browne Miller Maric Verrier Contin

From this write up, I gather Hill didn't do much?

Ellis was his usual creative self, but didn't have a heap of the footy. In saying that, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in against Port next week. He is just such a clever player, but he is running out of time to establish himself in our side for the finals.

Brad Hill looks more comfortable at AFL level, oddly enough. His pace was a stand out feature of his game today - his finishing not so much. The muddy ground and smaller confines just didn't seem to suit a player brought up on the hard and expansive grounds of the WAFL.

Cheney was a little disappointing. Didn't mind Hallahan. He appears to be over his injury worries and now has some continuity in his game.

Looking at the best players, I thought Jones and Pratt were very good, Hallahan and Bateman were good but unfortunately I think Changa's best is behind him. I also thought Ellis was good.
However, I did not think Murphy or Gilham were any better than serviceable in a defence that leaked 18 goals. I was also surprised that Gilham did not seem to be playing on Brad Miller who was their most dangerous forward.

I had better make an appointment at the ophthalmologist and get my eyes tested again. If they are that bad I will take up umpiring.

No Max. Apparently he was reported as being ill which seems odd as it turns out he was ill.

Chang ran hard and strong all day. Yeah he burns it but he runs to good spots and creates options. Watched him when he was off the ground. The guy was struggling to walk, his body looks to be failing him.

We had a defensive group that consisted of Gilly, Murph, Cheney, Duryea, Litherland and Kelly. Cheney seemed to be the best of an ordinary lot. At the 3/4Q time huddle, the coach was bemoaning that they had 12 goals from 30 inside 50s.

Of the mids, X was the pick of the litter. Ran to dangerous spots and should have ended up with 4 goals. Reckon he will get a call up sooner rather than later. Best game I have seen from Hallahan. Won a lot of close-in footy. Not a flashy player but probably worth persisting with.

Hill looked classy. The BHH oval is a slow track, not really suited to Hill. Good to see he was starting in the centre at times, he got pushed off easily but good to see his development is being seen to.

I saw Langford walking after the development game. Even better he was not walking to or from a medical facility.

Highlight of the game was that GH finally found a decent occupation... holding the rope at the quarter time huddle!

And did it with this weird smile too for some reason ;)

I will not comment on my occupation however, I am glad my face on tv provided you with some ammunition and definitely confirmed your sexual preference towards males for the BF world.

For next week, Ellis needs to play seniors, Shiels will get a week, so Ellis gets his shot in the AFL with medicos close behind him. Need some gametime for Ellis in the seniors to prep him for a starting spot in the last month of the season. Well done X.

Bateman was terrific today, some great gut running by the little grey haired man. Also his kicking and decision making was great.

Halahan was fantastic! a great month for the lad which will earn him a new contract.

Schnider was tough and was very impressed with his communication at the huddle.

Noted that Cameron Bruce has been added to the coaching staff at BHH.

Murphy (tom) looked disengaged at the huddles, like to hear more from him as a leader of our club.

The rope had really good tension as well. Arguably the tautest that it has been this season.

I wasn't sure if GH had been to Terry Wallace's solarium or whether he had turned into Ketut off the AAMI ads!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back