Review Round 19, 2023: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, 29 July 2023, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people say this every week about a player that's just been dropped, but Jack Scrimshaw is too good for this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrimshaw was the Sicily of VFL, cut off so many attacks and set up attacking chains. BOG and too good for this level.
Jeka had a great game, overshadowed by Scrim. Took a handful of good marks and used his skills to rebound.
Long the dominant midfielder on the field again.
DGB had a great game with a handful of strong marks and plenty of aggression. I think we played him at AFL level too soon - let him build his confidence here. His lack of tank isn't as big an issue at this level.
Bennetts had an incredible Q1 where everything he touched turned to gold. Ended up having an above average game. I can see him being that high half-forward at AFL level.
Buts was OK but seemed to lack acceleration?
Kosi/Ramsden both indifferent games.
BMac showed he can take contested marks which is surprising. His run and carry is exciting to watch. He's projecting to be a second Impey.
Serong wasn't as prominent offensively this week but I thought he did a really good shut down job on Membrey.
Stephens was solid. I've been liking him across the HFF the last few weeks, this was a comparatively quieter performance.
Morrison continues to be a reliable contributor. Was noticeably angry at losing a few contests and I love seeing that passion.
Morris was better than previous weeks but only solid.
Greene had a handful of good moments but was mostly quiet. Fluffed two really gettable chances when St. Kilda were pressing.
Tucker is first year Reeves level of raw.

Watched the game from the start.

First two quarters were pretty even but eventually the better talent at BH won out.

Some of the BH listed guys were great - Arundell, Porter and Mascitti

Still can’t figure why Long doesn’t get a decent run at AFL level.

A few more similar performances by Jeka could get him another year on Hawthorns list as a defender!

Scrimshaw was the Sicily of VFL, cut off so many attacks and set up attacking chains. BOG and too good for this level.
Jeka had a great game, overshadowed by Scrim. Took a handful of good marks and used his skills to rebound.
Long the dominant midfielder on the field again.
DGB had a great game with a handful of strong marks and plenty of aggression. I think we played him at AFL level too soon - let him build his confidence here. His lack of tank isn't as big an issue at this level.
Bennetts had an incredible Q1 where everything he touched turned to gold. Ended up having an above average game. I can see him being that high half-forward at AFL level.
Buts was OK but seemed to lack acceleration?
Kosi/Ramsden both indifferent games.
BMac showed he can take contested marks which is surprising. His run and carry is exciting to watch. He's projecting to be a second Impey.
Serong wasn't as prominent offensively this week but I thought he did a really good shut down job on Membrey.
Stephens was solid. I've been liking him across the HFF the last few weeks, this was a comparatively quieter performance.
Morrison continues to be a reliable contributor. Was noticeably angry at losing a few contests and I love seeing that passion.
Morris was better than previous weeks but only solid.
Greene had a handful of good moments but was mostly quiet. Fluffed two really gettable chances when St. Kilda were pressing.
Tucker is first year Reeves level of raw.
Thanks Vando, do we leave DGB there till maybe Freo game or eevn end of season? Is it Bennetts or O'Sullivan ? No Hustwaite? Do we keep Long and Stehpans and lose Greene EOY? Thanks for the notes. Muchas.

Watched the game from the start.

First two quarters were pretty even but eventually the better talent at BH won out.

Some of the BH listed guys were great - Arundell, Porter and Mascitti

Still can’t figure why Long doesn’t get a decent run at AFL level.

A few more similar performances by Jeka could get him another year on Hawthorns list as a defender!
I dont think its because he's undeserving, just more bad luck in that the midfield is playing really well. So who goes out for Long to come in. If he's to come in, I'd like to see him actually play a full game through the mid, otherwise it just feels like a waste playing him in another position.

Great to see him come along so much with his development this year at box Hill.

DGB 5.

Scrim 32 and 14 marks. 1 goal.
32, 14 marks and a goal is one heck of a day at the office. Not sure Scrimmers could do any more than that.

Still not sure of the logic of replacing him in the senior side with Bramble.

Bramble is a very good VFL player but whenever Scrimmers plays VFL it's just so obvious that he is above that level.

I know people say this every week about a player that's just been dropped, but Jack Scrimshaw is too good for this level.

We have a bunch who are too good for VFL but struggle in the AFL - or in Scrimshaw's case play well in the AFL but not to the coach's expectation.

Howe was one on our list for years, but we still have Kosi, DGB (still quite young so there is hope), Scrimshaw, Morrison, Bramble and Jeka probably also like Kosi and DGB is still young.

But that is a lot of list spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back