Review Round 11, 2023: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, 3 June 2023, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

This was one of DGB's best game was involved and provided some run along with defending well.

Sugar has a knack of hitting the scoreboard every week. His left foot snap in the first was a classy finish he is building into the season

Wardy had a tough day initially being tagged by Jones and roughed up a bit physically. Jones gave it to him a bit and probably won them the game in the last qtr. Needs another week yo find his feet given the form of others

We got monstered in the ruck and stoppages all game would have been handy for us to have Ned available as this game was heavily contested

Ramma had a quiet day and we really had no winners forward of center. Onto next week. We will get a few soldiers back

The 2022 draft will go down as one of our best ever: MacKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Bennetts.
Big call and really too early to tell. At the moment, only two are likely types, although I really do like all the others. Hope they can all get there and prove you right.

The 2022 draft will go down as one of our best ever: MacKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Bennetts.
2001 and 2004 set the standard. If any can reach the standard of Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead and Lewis we will be more than pleased.

This was one of DGB's best game was involved and provided some run along with defending well.

Sugar has a knack of hitting the scoreboard every week. His left foot snap in the first was a classy finish he is building into the season

Wardy had a tough day initially being tagged by Jones and roughed up a bit physically. Jones gave it to him a bit and probably won them the game in the last qtr. Needs another week yo find his feet given the form of others

We got monstered in the ruck and stoppages all game would have been handy for us to have Ned available as this game was heavily contested

Ramma had a quiet day and we really had no winners forward of center. Onto next week. We will get a few soldiers back
Were you there FLP? I ask because it may need some clarification on DGB's game. Stats-wise he had 19 possessions and 9 marks 10 mins into the third quarter. That is a big game up to that point. From then on he didn't get too many stats. Was he gassed by that point? May need to really focus on building his tank.

Big call and really too early to tell. At the moment, only two are likely types, although I really do like all the others. Hope they can all get there and prove you right.

Not often that all draftees get the opportunities they need to progress

Were you there FLP? I ask because it may need some clarification on DGB's game. Stats-wise he had 19 possessions and 9 marks 10 mins into the third quarter. That is a big game up to that point. From then on he didn't get too many stats. Was he gassed by that point? May need to really focus on building his tank.
I was there mate. The last qtr they absolutely dominated. The ball lived inside their forward 50 we might have had 4 to 5 inside 50s for the qtr. The made it a stoppage game and their bigger bodoes won out over the course of the game. Jones a former hawk got multiple clearances in a row playing on ward, porter and cooper. Thry deserved the win. DGB didnt really have a chance to impact. He did play well and defend well for the game

I was there mate. The last qtr they absolutely dominated. The ball lived inside their forward 50 we might have had 4 to 5 inside 50s for the qtr. The made it a stoppage game and their bigger bodoes won out over the course of the game. Jones a former hawk got multiple clearances in a row playing on ward, porter and cooper. Thry deserved the win. DGB didnt really have a chance to impact. He did play well and defend well for the game
I appreciate your analysis as mine was less reliable, I watched the game while watching the Hawks and talking to my son. Then with 10mins to go I paused the Box Hill game, came back, pressed play and the final score came up. :'(

Nice short summary T4P.

Tom Downie (30yrs) was BOG in this game by the length of a straight. Downie is a former AFL player with GWS and stepped away for personal health reasons, but his footballing quality has not decreased. Clay Tucker (19) got his first lesson on what he needs to improve to make it as an AFL footballer.

This was a contested game from start to finish which Williamstown players thrive on. The heavy ground under foot served the Willi boy‘s style of play (= push it fwd) and greatly diminished Box Hill’s style of movement (= move the ball around and create run).

Frankly, I was impressed that our boys, who are so young, had periods of dominance.

Bennetts again impressed with his cleanliness but my fav. JOS not so much. Ramsden was prominent in the fwd line but did not impact in that area yet was good when in the ruck. Harry was an everywhere link-up man but failed to actually create.
Finn was good but needs to work on his kicking (he should stop playing and spend 6 month solely working on his kicking).
Josh Ward was an OK linkup player. I kept thinking I wanted to see Ward do a slicing run through the middle but only saw chip kicks to the side. Cooper Stephens is a goer… nothing more to say on him as I see no highlights or lowlights.
Callum Brown is better than many players on most clubs lists. The Hawks needed other types but Callum should be on an AFL at some time in the future. Porter never stops putting in.
Beasly, Mascitti and Phillips were all major contributor.

The game was lost in the middle.

After the loss to Casey I was unhappy with the Hawks play. Not this time.

It was a good scrap against a team that scraps well. When the finals come around and Box Hill play Williamstown, I have no doubt the Hawks will win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if ball spent most of time in Willi’s forward 50 in last quarter DGB would have a heap of opportunities to impact?

Surely if ball spent most of time in Willi’s forward 50 in last quarter DGB would have a heap of opportunities to impact?
It was a contested game mate from stoppage to stoppage to boundary line throw ins. No real flow to the game. Cory Ellison ran hot in the last qtr his opponent was our Captain Beasley playing on him. DGB was on the bench for a while at the start of the qtr couldn't get on as the play was on the far side

A flooded backline and we still could not stop them marking the footy. Our defensive talls were poor. I suspect Serong had something to do with it. He was poor defensively all day.

A flooded backline and we still could not stop them marking the footy. Our defensive talls were poor. I suspect Serong had something to do with it. He was poor defensively all day.
It was Beasely on Ellison all day

Not a lot of pressure upwards from that game. Morrison pretty good a few turnovers but played deep defence against a side that defended and pressured well so to be expected. Denver solid stephens building and I really liked Bennetts there’s something to work with there. expect if he continues to develop he gets upgraded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back