Review Round 15, 2023: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 July 2023, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks come back to Melbourne licking their wounds after being soundly beaten by the Suns. It was a tight affair in the first half, with the Hawks taking a two point lead into quarter time, before the Suns took the lead late in the second quarter to head into half-time by a point, 8.3.51 to 7.8.50. However, after half-time the Suns ran all over Box Hill, kicking 10 goals to one in a pivotal third quarter burst that saw the Suns head into the final break 54 points to the good, 18.4.112 to 8.10.58. The Hawks steadied the ship in the final quarter but in reality the scoreboard probably flattered the Hawks a tad, with the Hawks kicking a few junk-time goals at the end of the match to bring the margin back to 64 points.

In the meantime, Box Hill's next opponent, Port Melbourne, tuned up by tonking the hapless Bombers by 53 points at North Port Oval. Somewhat similarly to the Suns-Hawks game, the first half was pretty tightly contested, with Port Melbourne leading by two points at quarter time (after the Bombers had hit the front in the first quarter). The Borough kept the Bombers scoreless in the second quarter, but only were able to add 1.2.8 themselves to their quarter time score. Gradually, however, the Borough asserted their superiority and broke the game open in the last quarter, kicking the final five goals of the game and seven of the last eight goals to run out comfortable winnings, 13.13.91 to 5.8.38.

Plenty of Port Melbourne players got the ball, with Harvey Hooper collecting 33 disposals, while Nash Holmes and Dylan Clarke each had 27 for Port Melbourne. Archi Manton was Port Melbourne's main avenue to goal, kicking three goals, while Kyle Viccars, Matthew Signorello and Felix Flockart each kicked two goals for Port Melbourne.

Despite their comfortable win over Essendon, it hasn't been a particularly successful season so far for Port Melbourne. In a tightly contested season, the Borough sit 15th on the ladder, with five wins and seven losses, while Box Hill cling to a top four position with eight wins and three losses. Port Melbourne's win over Essendon broke a three game losing streak, which featured losses to Southport, the Suns and Geelong.

The Hawthorn VFLW team is also hosting a game against the Southern Saints as the curtain raiser to the VFL game later in the afternoon, so if you have the capacity to do so, it would be good to get down to Box Hill City Oval to cheer on both teams. The Hawthorn VFLW team can secure a spot in the VFLW finals if they defeat the Southern Saints (who are on the same number of points as Hawthorn and trail Hawthorn by percentage only).

Gates to Box Hill City Oval will open at 10.30am and adult entry is priced at $10, concession at $5 and children under five attend free. Further, entry before 12.30pm will be free. For those arriving at the ground after 12.30pm and are Hawthorn members, they receive free entry to the ground.

If you're not able to attend the game and can get in front of a computer, you can watch a live stream of both games through the AFL.com.au website and through the AFL app. If that isn't possible and you're within radio broadcast range, 3WBC 94.1FM will have a live call of the game.

Teams to come.

Ins: C. Jiath, L. Bramble, J. O’Sullivan, J. Koschitzke, C. Mackenzie, C. Tucker, D. Murr (debut)

Outs: J. Ward, F. Greene, C. Wingard, F. O’Hara, J. Morris, H. Beasley, J. Rule

Squad: 1. H Morrison, 9. C Jiath, 16. L Bramble, 21. C Stephens, 23. J Koschitzke, 24. D Grainger-Barras, 27. N Long, 28. C Mackenzie, 29. J Serong, 32. F Maginness, 38. M Ramsden, 41. J Bennetts, 42. B Macdonald, 43. J O’Sullivan, 44. H Hustwaite, 45. C Tucker, 46. B Ryan, 50. D Mascitti, 55. C Porter, 57. J Thorpe, 60. E Phillips, 66. C Brown, 67. D Murr

Emergencies:
61. M Hall, 64. T Waack, 70. J Arundell, 74. L Coghlan, 78. K Agosta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting a lot of it but disposal poor. Big turnover cost a goal.
Needs to clean that up which was the issue at AFL level also.

Everyone has been poor with their kicking. CJ, aside from one horrible turnover, has been fairly good with his skills IMO. Maybe I've got rose coloured glasses though. His work-rate is a level above.

CJ too good for this level. I LOVE the fact that this commentator knows how to pronounce debut. The only sporting commentator in the country who does.

But I hate the fact that he is probably the most biased against BH of all the ones I've ever heard.

Liked Serong's game as a defender. Two or three strong intercept marks and good with his kicking.
CJ racking them up. Ball usage could be better but that can be said about everyone.
O'Sullivan just has something. A bit of composure and he'll be a diamond in the rough.
DGB forward is funny. He's hitting packs hard. Hasn't had much impact (none of our tall forward have) but took a nice mark and kicked truly.

Is this the first time DGB has started forward? I recall every other time he’s gone forward it’s been late in games when the game is largely over (but someone correct me).

With Kosi dropped DGB wouldn’t have to show a heap at BH to find a way into 22.

CJ too good for this level. I LOVE the fact that this commentator knows how to pronounce debut. The only sporting commentator in the country who does.

But I hate the fact that he is probably the most biased against BH of all the ones I've ever heard.
Then the other commentator says it dayboo. Great goal DGB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back