Review Round 17, 2023: North Melbourne v Box Hill Hawks, 16 July 2023, 12.05pm @ Arden Street Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Very gutsy win - should have been 6 or 7 goals down at 1/4 time.

Long and Stephens were strong all day and a shout out to young Max Hall who was very impressive and stood up when needed.

Love the way Bailey MacDonald continues to take the fame on and Cam MacKenzie is the next dare I say it, Sam Mitchell - just needs to build his body up to supplement his inside work.

Terrific win - North had a very very strong side in.

Last edited:
Emerson Jeka was excellent in his key defensive post. Without the aforementioned Mascitti and Beasley, ‘Jeks’ stepped up to lead a backline needing just that: leadership. Eight of his 15 disposals came after a mark and just about every kick that left his boot found a teammate.

Realistically a preseason at minimum.
He flies really high in packs and when he puts the arms out he's quite difficult to stop. Strong contested mark.
He looks slow and gangly but is deceptively nimble when the ball hits the ground for a 200cm player.
Can get out-bodied 1v1 due to his frame.
Doesn't know the patterns so can get lost defensively.
Has a kicking action that either hits the target or goes 40 metres to the left. There's no in-between.

Could get a look in late in the season if we're exploring options but I think some time with a proper diet and hitting the weights is needed.
You make him sound like a young Matthew Richardson :drunk:

Butler and Bailey McDonald were great today and a lot of strong performances from the usual suspects. Long has to get a call up and stephens is playing well. Bramble had his best game in a while too despite me not being an advocate you have to give him credit he went into some contests. Really good performance very enjoyable compared to the game at Marvel.

Watched most of the replay last night. Ryan took 4 or 5 good grabs across the 2nd and 3rd Qs. Was impressive. I am hoping there is a play where he can develop into a 2nd ruck.

Tucker was promising at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back