Review 2023 1st Semi Final, Box Hill Hawks v Footscray Bulldogs, 9 September 2023, 11.30am @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

credit where it is due. Bramble was awesome. I don’t want him on our list as he’s not a long term afl player in my opinion, but if he did anything like that each week he would be. Well done.
I thought it was a fairly even contribution after that which is great for box hill not so much the hawks. Hustwaite is in, BMac is in, for me they are the 2.
With out forward,one deficiency surely we offer buku khamis a contract. I said this months ago he’s a good third forward we could get for not much. Also loving jake Arundel rookie?
Go for a chat to Māori chol and fiorini to come over for pick 4!

Last edited:
Would love to know what the coaches think. He just can’t help himself. Needs to turn that into 20 touches and 4 fights. Sicily used to be the same when younger but still got the ball.
Not too worried about his game, wouldn’t be surprised if he kick 5 goals next week. Consistently will come.
I agree he reminds me of a young Sicily, but better. Sicily really took a while to get going and it was only when he was switched to the backline that his career flourished.

Just watched the replay, great to win a final especially at home for the faithful who go each week. We looked determined and we have to take that north for next week. Some great signs from our AFL listed lads. Got me pumped for next year. Side note like to hang on to Ned and Jeka if we can, just might make it in the ones?!….

What a great win. Some excellent performances. Really glad we have Ryan. Bennetts was great. Was disappointed in Stephens' decision making
Stephens changed the game in the 3rd Qtr. He was great.

But like you I think he should be better than he is…

VFL: Question: would you put Stephens on Lions in a hard tag knowing it is best for the team but may end his career.

What a great win. Some excellent performances. Really glad we have Ryan. Bennetts was great. Was disappointed in Stephens' decision making
His 3rd Q was really good. Some of his stoppage work is so quick it's hard to pick up.

We've got to really push him hard to get the best out of himself. He def has ability. Needs to get himself really fit to get his disposal numbers up higher and to stay in games for longer. I can def see him pushing up to the next level but reckon he is one of those types we need to ride really hard.

Stephens changed the game in the 3rd Qtr. He was great.

But like you I think he should be better than he is…

VFL: Question: would you put Stephens on Lions in a hard tag knowing it is best for the team but may end his career.
We are clearly trying to win this year over player development, hence Tucker is not playing. So, we do what wins us the game. Plus, Stephens is contracted for 2024 so it won’t make any difference to his career.

Josh Bennetts was definitely a welcome addition back to the team. His work rate is through the roof and according to ZLJ "his running numbers are now similar to Dylan Moore's".
DGB forward and Thorpe back seemed to work this week which was a positive. I enjoy Shaggy's aggressiveness which is something we don't have at times. He will only continue to get better with more time forward. The push is for him to become that swingman option which adds value to him in the team and squad.
Big challenge coming up this weekend for the team. They pushed the Suns last time for the first half - ZLJ will have the team primed

His 3rd Q was really good. Some of his stoppage work is so quick it's hard to pick up.

We've got to really push him hard to get the best out of himself. He def has ability. Needs to get himself really fit to get his disposal numbers up higher and to stay in games for longer. I can def see him pushing up to the next level but reckon he is one of those types we need to ride really hard.

Good to hear. Watched the first two quarters pretty closely, but dipped in and out of the third. Was disappointed as I am really hoping he comes on, so good to hear there are at least some green shoots!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too worried about his game, wouldn’t be surprised if he kick 5 goals next week. Consistently will come.
I agree he reminds me of a young Sicily, but better. Sicily really took a while to get going and it was only when he was switched to the backline that his career flourished.

Not sure about better than Sicily. At the same age as DGB is now, Sicily had a 30 goal season at AFL level (after dominating VFL finals as a teenager). That includes multiple bags at AFL level, 3 vote games (in a star studded team), etc. DGB kicked 4 goals at AFL level for the year.

When Sicily was 22 (DGB will be 22 around the start of next season), he kicked 13 goals up forward before being switched to the backline, where he was arguably the best defender in the AFL for the remainder of the season.

That's not to say that I don't think DGB can become a good player (he might) but I don't think suggesting he is better (at the same age or otherwise) or will be better than our current best player/AA/BnF winning captain is the correct call.

Josh Bennetts was definitely a welcome addition back to the team. His work rate is through the roof and according to ZLJ "his running numbers are now similar to Dylan Moore's".
DGB forward and Thorpe back seemed to work this week which was a positive. I enjoy Shaggy's aggressiveness which is something we don't have at times. He will only continue to get better with more time forward. The push is for him to become that swingman option which adds value to him in the team and squad.
Big challenge coming up this weekend for the team. They pushed the Suns last time for the first half - ZLJ will have the team primed
It's funny I thought JB actually got in the way few times. He was in good positions ahead of the ball and under pressure we kicked to a jumper and it was him when we needed it to be a tall. Not a knock by any stretch just a reflection that he knows where to go - need the other fwds to be aware they should be positioned to be the targets and telling him to move to crumbing spots.

I hope he can pick up a tad more speed - he's quick enough but if he can get some real zip he's going to be very dangerous. He's had a really solid year def on the right path. Next step is to kick 3s 4s and 5s plus maintain the tackling pressure.

Arundel was impressive too.

It's funny I thought JB actually got in the way few times. He was in good positions ahead of the ball and under pressure we kicked to a jumper and it was him when we needed it to be a tall. Not a knock by any stretch just a reflection that he knows where to go - need the other fwds to be aware they should be positioned to be the targets and telling him to move to crumbing spots.

I hope he can pick up a tad more speed - he's quick enough but if he can get some real zip he's going to be very dangerous. He's had a really solid year def on the right path. Next step is to kick 3s 4s and 5s plus maintain the tackling pressure.

Arundel was impressive too.
Nice to see him take that step in the prelim ;)

from memory at halftime Suns were ahead by 1 pt and then we went missing for 2nd half catching the senior team's disappearing disease for 3rd quarter
I arrived at that one at half time...and then witnessed total one way traffic for the next six quarters.

Not the best at the footy I can remember...

I arrived at that one at half time...and then witnessed total one way traffic for the next six quarters.

Not the best at the footy I can remember...
LOL so did I. I mentioned it in the game day thread. We arrived just before half time, Fergus Green had kicked a goal to put us 2 goals up. We walked in, and the entire club said "OK they're here."

Do gc have extra list spots? Or are they just a unusually good reserves team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back