Review 2023 1st Prelim Final, Gold Coast Suns v Box Hill Hawks, 16 September 2023, 3:00pm @ Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After halting the Dogs' remarkable 11-game winning streak, Box Hill now faces an even more daunting challenge in the form of the AFL-assisted Suns. Nevertheless, the opportunity to outshine the Suns' AFL players is undoubtedly a motivation that our VFL players would love.

In the Hawk’s vs Sun’s prior encounter, the Hawks managed to hold their ground against the Suns during the first half, only to be overwhelmed in the second half (see stats below).

A glaring issue for the Hawks in that match was their struggle in the ruck, as Ned Moyle dominated with 51 hitouts compared to Ramsden's 13. This granted the Suns' midfielders crucial first possession of the ball. Fortunately, Ramsden will have solid support this time with Kosi on the team. Although this Hawk duo didn't surpass the VFL's best ruckman, Jordon Sweet, last week, they did manage to limit his impact and displayed versatility across the field. It will be Ramma and Kosi's responsibility not only to replicate this performance against Moyle this week but also to expose him around the ground.
A second area of concern was the Sun’s potency up forward.

The Suns have only suffered defeats at the hands of robust defensive teams this season. The pivotal question now lies in whether Coach Littlejohn and Box Hill will adopt a defensive-oriented strategy or maintain faith in their system's ability to outclass the Suns.

All will be revealed this Saturday at 3 pm

Attachments

• IMG_2979.png
    IMG_2979.png
    513.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2978.png
    IMG_2978.png
    411.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2977.png
    IMG_2977.png
    656.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2976.png
    IMG_2976.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 103
If I remember the last match correctly it was up at a very hot GC home ground and we were in guest change rooms without AC (maybe someone made that up!!??).

Hoping it’ll be better weather and nicer facilities this time!

If I remember the last match correctly it was up at a very hot GC home ground and we were in guest change rooms without AC (maybe someone made that up!!??).

Hoping it’ll be better weather and nicer facilities this time!
No, that definitely occurred.

And of course the facilities will change. There are no AFL teams playing afterwards who would take priority for the dressing rooms, Alite.

Same 23 players from last week, no changes to the side

Squad: 16. L Bramble, 21. C Stephens, 23. J Koschitzke, 24. D Grainger-Barras, 26. F Greene, 27. N Long, 29. J Serong, 30. S Butler, 35. J Morris, 38. M Ramsden, 39. E Jeka, 41. J Bennetts, 42. B Macdonald, 44. H Hustwaite, 46. B Ryan, 50. D Mascitti, 55. C Porter, 57. J Thorpe, 60. E Phillips, 62. S Horner, 64. T Waack (23rd man), 66. C Brown, 70. J Arundell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All set up to watch the Boxhill game right now! Let’s do this Hawks!!

The frosty Miller medalist Brodie McLaughlin is out for the suns!

Bailey MacDonald has been in it early! So has Jeka, but his foot skills have let him down early, maybe just nerves.

Chol and Holland has foaled early for the Suns.

I still think I’d like the Hawks to have a good look at Hollands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back