Review Round 22, 2023: Frankston v Box Hill Hawks, 18 August 2023, 7.05pm @ Kinetic Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I am in the UK so always watch delayed presume you are in mainland Europe. I get the link sent to me so I can connect directly to the replay and avoid the afl site where you cannot avoid seeing the scores (unless you cover your eyes and know where to look and which links to press!). The timing I get it depends on when the link is up so as soon as I have it I will DM it to you. Of course you can watch yourself if you don’t care to not know the scores or can do the tricky magic with your hands to avoid them!
Damn! I didn't get a chance to read this post before I went the site and 1/ there wasn't a full reply, just the 15 minute summary; and 2/ I saw the scores :(

How do you get the link sent to you?

Damn! I didn't get a chance to read this post before I went the site and 1/ there wasn't a full reply, just the 15 minute summary; and 2/ I saw the scores :(

How do you get the link sent to you?
That would be telling. I can’t reveal my sources. Even though I have revealed my sources in other threads to give credit for the kindness of BF strangers…maybe for the finals and next year we should start a thread where anyone can post the replay link for those of us who want to watch the replay and avoid the scores.

Just a couple of thoughts from the game.

Cmac2 started like a house on fire and was he and stephens leading the possessions on the ground. Meek a colossal in the ruck. Cmac2 was physical and hard with 5 tackles in the first qtr. The boy had 10 tackles for the game but the opposition put more time and physicality into him and wore him down in the second half. A lot to like about Cmac2's game. The conditions werent for faint hearted it was cold and wet and only those who were willing to put their bodies on the line would succeed. I am sure the coach will point it out. Meek was outstanding he actually knew he could be a bully out there and went out there to do it

Just a couple of thoughts from the game.

Cmac2 started like a house on fire and was he and stephens leading the possessions on the ground. Meek a colossal in the ruck. Cmac2 was physical and hard with 5 tackles in the first qtr. The boy had 10 tackles for the game but the opposition put more time and physicality into him and wore him down in the second half. A lot to like about Cmac2's game. The conditions werent for faint hearted it was cold and wet and only those who were willing to put their bodies on the line would succeed. I am sure the coach will point it out. Meek was outstanding he actually knew he could be a bully out there and went out there to do it
How'd Jeka go mate? Sounds like conditions may not have been great for his marking/disposal strengths to really thrive in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My theory is that some guys like Mackenzie, Mitchell and Meek that are not eligible for VFL finals will keep on playing for BH until the finals.

Some guys like morris, Jeka and bramble who are unlikely to go forward next year but who have played less than 12 AFL games this season will continue in VFL until the end. Bramble being on 11 games so they wont play him in AFL again.

Some like hustwaite, Ned Long and Ramsden who are on the edges of AFL selection will play in the senior side then revert to the VFL after the AFL season is done for Hawthorn next week. Hence there is no harm in playing these guys in the seniors because they have a few more games left for BH

Is there a squad list of VFL FINALS available players of the AFL Hawks listed players?

See this page -

Meek was the biggest, the strongest and the most influential player on the park.

His kicks at goal from distance displayed talent few ruckmen have. Yes wind assisted, but others missed on this day but not Meek.

Loyde Meek (203cm) should play like a very successful smaller ruckman in Shane Mumford (199cm tall). Loyde should watch every game Mumford played. Mumford was a non-talent that was encouraged to be a player. He then monstered people in the AFL. Mumford was not a good tap ruckman, but his follow up work was brilliant.

We see Meek trying to bully his way out of tackles and get taken down by multiple players because he is currently too slow to see the handball out. Sometimes he looks like a wilder-beast being set on by lions. He runs a few more steps before being taken down. If he could keep his arms clear with the ball and give off a hand-pass… like our mids, he could create a situation where his teammates have greater numbers.

In the VFL I love this effort from Meek. He is trying to improve. The guy is a considered type, and the best of Meek is coming.

Reeves is also improving and so the tussle for best ruck is game on.

Last edited:
Meek got a 1 match ban from the VFL MRP.... downgraded to a reprimand + $600 with an early plea, lol.

Don't know if he's eligible for VFL finals anyway.

I thought he was a bit better than that - he had 26 disposals, 41 hit outs and 8 clearances himself. He was in our top handful on the night. His effort level was top shelf, but he's shown that a number of times at VFL level and repeatedly failed to translate it to AFL.

Meek was comfortably bigger and better prepared than the Frangas' part-timers. Meek cant control his own body in the ruck contest, he ends up off balance and flails at the footy. No use winning the HO if we don't get an advantage. He was getting big numbers in the WAFL as well. It didn't translate to the AFL then and doesn't translate now.

"have played no more than 12 AFL Home and Away Matches"

Meek has played 15 games in the AFL this season so he's ineligible for finals. Kosi has played 11 AFL games so he scrapes in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back