Review Round 16, 2023: GWS Giants v Box Hill Hawks, 8 July 2023, 12.55pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We almost stopped in the last quarter. Unfortunately our forward entry philosophy seems to be bang it in the air and hope for the best or alternatively pick out Aleer or another of their talls.
Let’s hope the seniors have learned to lower the eyes and kick to advantage at least some of the time. It is not rocket science guys.
Anyway good to have a win in spite of it.

To let them back in that last quarter was really poor in an otherwise promising team effort.

Longy was the general from start to finish. Kicking wasn’t fantastic but he works so hard to provide options.

Bramble had a really good game linking up.

Stephens had a quietly effective game resting across half-forward. Positional flexibility will help his senior case.

Meek had a great game. The problem is unless he’s the number 1 ruck I don’t think anything he did this game suggested he can be a fwd/ruck.

Ramsden was really dangerous in the air early but well shut down later. Work around the ground is (as always) good.

Ryan kicked 4 goals after a quiet first half. Does some exceptional things for a big man. Could be anything.

Bennetts played above what his stats suggest. His pressure and desire to win were fantastic.

Jeka had a good game offensively but his opponent in Gruzewksi was causing us real headaches early.

Serong had his hands full with Cadman. Does a lot of good stuff for a defender (spoils, uses his body) but was probably beaten.

Butler/O’Sullivan good pressure and flashes of brilliance.

Hustwaite just has a knack of getting to the ball. Needs to add strength.

Probably the least effective game I’ve seen Mackenzie play. Just wasn't damaging which is unlike him.

BMac/Koschitzke had little impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neds done this last 3 weeks fantastic first half 22 - 23 possessions then its almost like he runs out of gas. 6 or 7 in the second. Another team last qtr fade out similar to last week. Troubling trend in the middle of the ground

Yeah just feel Reeves gives us nothing around the ground through - we need some physicality which Meek offers whilst also being decent in the ruck contests and up forward
Meek isn't giving anything either though.

Meek currently at the "looks like Tarzan, plays like jane" level. He will grow from it though

So who put their hand up for selection? Ryan? Long? Jeka?
I think Long and O'Sullivan have to get a look in soon on the back of good form all year and consistently hitting the scoreboard.

Ryan could be brought in, but I don't see a spot for him unless Lewis is rested (ankle), or if Denver moves down back.

Sicily is back and probably Breust as well. Spots are tight.

The 5 goal compilation from BH socials is out..

the 2nd the 3rd goal shows the handball happy gameplan. Phil Walsh Davis at the end of the 2nd seems pissed as they were left guarding grass.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back