Review Round 17, 2023: North Melbourne v Box Hill Hawks, 16 July 2023, 12.05pm @ Arden Street Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

We fought our way back into that quarter after a very poor start.
Tucker is getting (understandably) obliterated by Goldstein and it's impacting our mids significantly.
Like Serong's game, his link up play is very good for a defender.
Butler really should have 3 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong just keeps building as a key defender. Has some lapses but does a lot of things naturally (spoils, positioning) that is really under-rated. His link play for a CHB is also really good. Bit controversial but I like him more than DGB in that role.

Ryan keeps presenting. Unique prospect, hard to stop when at full stretch. Despite his age he'll need another preseason to add core strength.

Butler does some exceptional things in bursts. Greater consistency is key for him.

Long/Stephens both had really good games. Really impressed with how Stephen's game has translated to the HFF across the last few weeks, may be a way he gets an opportunity in the senior side.

I rate Bennetts as a link player. Quick hands in congestion + applies defensive pressure. Not lightning but zippy enough for his role, should be elevated.

Mackenzie was really strong with his kicking especially late in the game.

CJ didn't play the full game and was mostly average.

What Goldstein did to Tucker is illegal in most states. Tucker did take some strong contested marks though.

How'd Mackenzie go?
I was only able to watch the last quarter. It appeared to be a typical Mackenzie performance. Full of class, finding time and space in traffic to get the ball to good positions. He's just such a good player. He could be the best of our young crop. He's my favourite Hawthorn player.

How far off is Ryan?

Realistically a preseason at minimum.
He flies really high in packs and when he puts the arms out he's quite difficult to stop. Strong contested mark.
He looks slow and gangly but is deceptively nimble when the ball hits the ground for a 200cm player.
Can get out-bodied 1v1 due to his frame.
Doesn't know the patterns so can get lost defensively.
Has a kicking action that either hits the target or goes 40 metres to the left. There's no in-between.

Could get a look in late in the season if we're exploring options but I think some time with a proper diet and hitting the weights is needed.

How far off is Ryan?
As Vandohawk pointed out main thing is defensively. Think Fergus but without the mindset of Fergus where he knows he should be doing it but it's too late. I'm not sure that thought even happens with Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back