Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez I'll be disappointed if Byrnes goes out, fair enough if he's injured but I had expectations of him backing up his performance against Freo, and I'm not sure I'm buying the suggestion the game plan was to predominantly drive down the wing Wood was on or as I say, unless of coarse he was injured or "sore", but isn't sore injured.
In an ideal world where king and Membrey play.

There won’t be any body I’d drop over Byrnes & Caminiti from last nights game.

That’s effectively good development of players. They showed abit. Showed their inconsistency and now they go back to the 2s where they need to go up a gear and challenge the likes of Windy for a spot

Why can’t you just turn up and scan into GA with your membership?

I think it's incase Covid hits again. They don't have to change up half way through the season.

Does anyone know who I can get tickets for next week? I'm a member and when I put in my codes for tickets it brings up the seating chart and prices, but I should be able to get into general admin for free so I don't know what to do....

They might have sold all GA out. You should be able to select seats but still be free though anyway. Call the club if you have trouble.

Well we won’t know for a fair while so surely if he gets pick 11 then he has got the pick back so he hasn’t stuffed up. If he gets pick 5 surely he has won until we see differently

Wasting 2 years of development is a cost. If we get a player back it's probably the best we can hope for. Sounds like he wants Port and they don't have a FRDP.

I turned up and did that in round 1.

Just scanned and walked in.

Still have to book through ticketech though. You don't have a membership card that walk ups get to enter.

Struggled yesterday but that is more his normal afl form. Maybe last week is an outlier
Yeah I had him on my list of delists at the start of the season and last week thought he might prove me wrong, it was a fair drop of the cliff from last week, MGS alone, 580m last week, 70m this week, and I think 27 Ds to 8 this week...really poor if there is no injury excuse.

Wasting 2 years of development is a cost. If we get a player back it's probably the best we can hope for. Sounds like he wants Port and they don't have a FRDP.
Well based on players falling into laps wells is so overrated yet he is rated nearly the best. So what should toce have done if the player said he was comfortable to move and he rated him much better than the next player he rated? Sometimes you have to back your club in. It’s not like we have huge record of players wanting to go home.

I was banging on about it last season, but what a difference system and structure makes to players decision making and skills. Last year the majority of the side couldn't hit the side of a barn with their kicks, this year the same players are hitting all their kicks. Even those taken back into the corridor the toughest kick in the game, which is completely killing the opposition defensive zones. Brilliant stuff Saints!

Players are constantly in motion creating space for each its poetry in motion, even players like Howard is hitting his targets. If he could just hang onto those marks he is dropping, I would feel a lot more confident when he is in contests.

I dont know if anyone else noticed, but the only time the Bulldogs had re-entries from our kickouts is when we went long down the line. Hopefully we reset that after the coaches review the game. Marshall had a good game but had his colours lowered by English, particular in contested marking. He matches up much better against Draper and Cordy v Weideman will be a good match. I also have to say that I was really skeptical of us targetting Zaine Cordy over others, but he has shown to be a really solid contributor.

The club have got me that excited Im heading down to the MCG next Saturday to watch the 150th celebration. Go Sainters!

Well based on players falling into laps wells is so overrated yet he is rated nearly the best. So what should toce have done if the player said he was comfortable to move and he rated him much better than the next player he rated? Sometimes you have to back your club in. It’s not like we have huge record of players wanting to go home.

Mostly because they were no good and no-one wanted them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine communication is huge. Players need consistent, direct and uncomplicated messaging. I reckon RTB is great at this and importantly has the entire coaching group and players on the same page.
Highly neurotic personalities like Richo and Ratts breed tentativeness within the group. Especially the kids.

Ross the opposite 😍

The 2nd Cordy goal celebration is elite. The finger out by his side celebrating, only having to lift it a few inches to go over the head of Caleb Daniel, chief munchkin of the Bulldogs midget brigade, as he runs passed him celebrating. Especially after the half time shenanigans led by FIGJAM Bruce when the Dogs showed up for all of about 15 minutes of football in an entire game of football.

We may have found ourselves a handy pest.

He's an excellent communicator. Really comes across as authentic and like he wants the best for his players while not wasting many opportunities to teach them. His press conferences seem like he's thinking about what to say to guide them while offering an insight. Ratts seemed like a very surface level speaker. No nuance or depth and real footy platitudes. You could see how it could get stale quickly. Lyon is a little bit guru, a little bit dictator and a little bit old university professor. Mr Miyagi vibes, you've polished the campaigners car for 12 hours and then you realise that he's taught you how to slap some other campaigner in the face.
Regardless of delivery the most important thing as a coach is that your group doesn’t think you’re bullshit. As long as they actively take in your feedback and instruction you’re doing it right. Once they start to tune you out you’re gone

My biggest fear is when our reinforcements come in they don't improve the offensive power of our team in practice. Eg. King comes in for Owens or Philippou but only kicks 2 goals same as them. Membrey the same.

We'd end up still only scoring that 80-90 mark and the expected improvement would be disappointing. There's always the hypothetical "just wait til X comes back" but I'm always worried about the fill ins overperforming and the gap between them and the actual players not being enough to make a tangible difference in results. Maybe with such a system based team the gap between our worst and best is much lower and therefore this is what we get
I honestly doubt the addition of King & Membrey will change things too much.
There’s still a spot for Caminiti, with Phillipou & Owens alternating.
I much prefer we only have 2 smalls up forward.

I love Windy, don't get me wrong, but I think if Steele goes out then I'd like to see Bytel come directly in for him.
In and under mid.
He does need to work on getting a bit more of the pill, but his hands in close are so clean, and he is very good at tackling and applying pressure - much like Steeley.

If he can't get a go as a pure inside mid replacement... well, he's probably done. Because he's fairly one dimensional in that respect.

What a great win. Amazing to see the young kids hold up the forward line. I know the pou will get a lot of media attention this week but I hope Owens gets a little bit of love.
The hammer looks a good pick up, my only problem with him is that he looks a bit like a young Adrian dodoro.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Geez..I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, can’t stand Dodoro!

Mostly because they were no good and no-one wanted them.
That wasn’t my question. What should toce have done if he rated him highly. The one thing I would be 100% of is if we didn’t pick him and become a star you and others would complain that we could have taken him. I have another question. Do you think we should have taken Philippou?

I honestly doubt the addition of King & Membrey will change things too much.
There’s still a spot for Caminiti, with Phillipou & Owens alternating.
I much prefer we only have 2 smalls up forward.
Who would be tge 2 smalls? I think they like gresh in the middle. And if cordy is dropped who helps in the ruck especially at centre bounces. By the way I said cordy out but I do worry about no help for Marshall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back