Review Round 2. GC vs. St. Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW considering St Kilda's preseason with scores of 52 and 46, and losing to Port yesterday with a score of 85. Is the Riewoldt/Kosi combo really that threatening on form?

I think our improvement will show a lot more this weekend we have an 8 day break as well, and St Kilda are not a fast, high scoring team. We also played the most in form club in Adelaide, so puts it in perspective.

GWS are at similar odds to beat North, at 14 I think.

I might be bias, but I would have thought we'd be far more likely to beat the Saints than GWS are to beat North Melbourne. Could see $8-9 for us, but given the Saints recent form, $14 seems overs to me. Etihad or not.

GWS are at similar odds to beat North, at 14 I think.

I might be bias, but I would have thought we'd be far more likely to beat the Saints than GWS are to beat North Melbourne. Could see $8-9 for us, but given the Saints recent form, $14 seems overs to me. Etihad or not.

Agreed. Similar odds I would think to what we got with Adelaide around that $4-$5 mark with a line of around 25-30 points?

Trent McKenzie and Sam Day both got through their second reserves matches at the weekend after recovering from injury and will be available for selection when the Suns play St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

From this on the AFL site.

Cannon kicked 2.4 on the ressies, Day kicked 1.

I think Day needs some more time in the 2s after all the footy he's missed. He said himself that he was frustrated at his lack of touch on the field two weeks ago.

It's good to hear McKenzie having some pings at goal. Could be coming back in.

Gday guys, sorry for intrusion! Goodluck this week, should be a cracker of a game. Goodness knows what StKilda will turn up!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone would be interested in writing a preview of the Suns for this weeks match? Basically after key matchups, changes to team etc etc from your perspective.

PM me of your interested or want bit more info on what I'm after.

Cheers guys :)

T Mac to come in this week, gives us a little more X Factor, Day probably needs another run or 2 in the seconds, even though I would love to see him out there.

When does Stanley come back? Oh god we need him.

Also I reckon Fraser is due to come back in. He will at least give an honest contest.

Would like to see something similar to this.

OUT: Hickey, Tape, Gorringe, Taylor
IN: Fraser, Shaw, Weller, McKenzie

B: Harbrow, Warnock, Weller
HB: Brown, May, Iles
C: Bennell, Rischatelli, Caddy
HF: Matera, Lynch, McKenzie
F: Fraser, Brennan, Hall
R: Smith, Swallow, Ablett

INT: Prestia, Hunt, Russell, Shaw

Schneider out for the Saints which helps our cause. I sincerely hope Fraser and McKenzie are back this week. There is no way Smith can hold the ruck against the McEvoy/Kosi duo and both Gorringe and Hickey were fairy useless as 2nd ruck options last week.

Weller in for Tape and depending on match-ups Taylor may be lucky to hold his spot. He didn't do a hell of a lot on the weekend, only 9 touches for the game. He seems to have lost that run and confidence he had late last season.

Saints by 6 goals for me. Just too much power in the midfield with Nicky Dal, Hayes, Montagna, Goddard and Steven rotating through. If McEvoy takes control in the ruck giving them first use it could be another long day. Jones will surely take Ablett and usually does a reasonable job compared to other taggers.

I am not too confident of the Suns' chances..

The Saints are a proud club (of what I'm not quite sure) and thay are going to go out all guns blazing in their first home game of the season.
I mean, I know the Suns are in a similar position, not plaeased with their game against the Crows and will definately be wanting to put in a much stronger performance.

You don't need to worry about putting a decent defender on Kosi, a work experience kid would keep him out of the game.. Jack's brother is obviosly a guy who just runs and runs and runs, not sure who is the mose athletic of the Suns' defenders but they are going to have a tough task keeping up with him. Mind you, all they have to do is get to the marking contest and Nick will drop the ball.

The good thing is the Saints aren't a really high scoring team, like the Swans.. Their defence often gets outfoxed by quick breaks and fast outside runners, which the Suns are more than capable of doing, as long as they win enough of the ball.

I am thinking Saints by 25 - 35.

Polo has been suspended for a week so they are down a back flanker which again helps our cause. It may drag Goddard out of the centre rotations so if one of our fwd flankers can keep him busy, might nullify his influence... Hopefully... Probably not though ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McKenzie is ready, it will really add and help Bennell to shred the Saints along the outside with our run and carry. Both are blisteringly fast players when they hit full gear! Really hope he's good to go. They did bring back Matera after only one reserves game, so who knows. ;)

I liked Supernova's team, and agree with GCSuns above. Taylor hasn't backed up his form from last year. Give him some runs in the twos to get his confidence back. Gorringe and Hickey need the same, with Fraser ready to go after his jog in the seconds against Southport.

Shaw and Weller should be inclusions.

I would probably change things around a little though from Supernova though. Same team, but different positions...

OUT: Hickey, Tape, Gorringe, Taylor
IN: Fraser, Shaw, Weller, McKenzie

B: Weller, Warnock, Brennan
HB: Iles, May, Harbrow
C: Bennell, Rischitelli, McKenzie
HF: Matera, Lynch, Caddy
F: Brown, Fraser, Hall

R: Smith, Swallow, Ablett

INT: Prestia, Hunt, Russell, Shaw

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, Brennan is going to be playing that floating defender role. I think Bluey has been quite adament about that. Would be surprised if he starts up forward again for us given how serviceable he's been off the back-line. He does get caught up in it every now and then, but it's not much compared to how often he carries it out.

Same goes with Brown. He'll play up forward as a small defensive forward for quite a while you would think. He's good there too, I thought. I get the feeling I may be one of the few who thought he was probably the best he's ever been for us against the Crows.

Hall looked genuinely cooked in the fourth quarter in round 1. Not sure if it was round 1 intensity or regular AFL speed intensity that got him. For that reason, I'd put him in the forward pocket over someone like Matera, who can run off the HF line and deliver beautiful passes into the forward fifty. Iles starting off HB, but obviously moves around.

If we're on and play like we've shown we can play for three quarters, we're a real chance of winning this. If not, then I'd say the Saints by about 20-30. Not a high scoring team, and one that even if we play badly against, should hopefully compete with for PARTS of the game. Please. :eek:

Just saw their CP stat after round 1. Ranked 17th! :eek: Hopefully they don't improve on that when we play them. Will really help us out. :D

On the Suns website Caddy is interviewed about the Crows game and talks about the team "not being switched on at the start of the game" f**k me, we have been waiting 6 months to play and they are not switched on a the opening bounce of the first game.
He goes on to talk about how we matched it with the Crows apart from 30 mins of football. If this is the message that the kids are getting from the coaching staff then God help us, we were out worked and out thought both on the field and in the coaching box.

Last rant on the game I am now moving on

Just having a look at the Saints/Port game.

It will be interesting to see if we go for a similar approach that Port did. IE: Load up on talls to expose their undermanned back line right now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gorringe get another run if that's the case.

We just need the clearances to get it to them. Hope the midfield comes switched on from the first bounce.

I gotta ask. Where is Coad, McQualtor and Horsely? You would think that they would be given an opportunity. Especially with there experience.

They're all rookies.

McQualter was specifically brought in to mentor the Reserves. Coad doing something similar in defense.

Horseley just unlucky. Only one senior spot available, and Aaron Hall took it. He'll get his chance next year.

They're all rookies.

McQualter was specifically brought in to mentor the Reserves. Coad doing something similar in defense.

Horseley just unlucky. Only one senior spot available, and Aaron Hall took it. He'll get his chance next year.

From the 2 games Coad played last year he was quite impressive before he did his hamstring. Anyway thanks for the info the players. :thumbsu:

Judging by the comments of Bluey in today's presser, we won't see Day or McKenzie this week.

They could run out about 80% of the match, but he's just not sure whether they could do the whole AFL game.

Will really miss Cannon, but if he's not ready obviously cannot bring him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back