Preview Round 2, GWS Giants vs Geelong Cats, Sun 3rd April, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What an extraordinary match between Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG. More worthy of Week 1 in September than Round 1 in March.

That game was played at the standard we must aspire to if we want to play in September. I know there's a bit of history between Geelong and Hawthorn, but the intensity of that match was something to behold.

And what an extraordinary performance by Patrick Dangerfield in his first game for his new club. Three Brownlow votes for sure and the difference between the two teams.

Now he's coming for us!

Next Sunday will be Steve Johnson's first game against his old club, which is sure to add a bit of spice.

But if we're to have any chance, we must win the centre clearances and give our run-and-carry game a chance. Our tackling pressure must be consistently ferocious. Tackling pressure creates all sorts of chances, and the best thing is, it's something you can control. It's just a question of on-field leadership and there being no passengers.

Leon will have his work cut out for him with match-ups.

If we win, it will go down as one of the best wins in the club's history, just like the Hawthorn game last year.

Should be a full house. Wish I could be there.

I'd love to see us win but I think Geelong will have too much maturity. But that won't stop me hoping.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Mumford will need to monster Zac Smith

If not, Cats midfield is gonna dominate the game

I think our defence is strong, especially if Haynes returns

Cats have forward advantage too with Cameron out & McCarthy AWOL

Will be tough, but possible

We are driving down and staying in Canberra for the game as normal, but tbh, if we are within 10 goals at the end it would be an improvement on this week for us and Geelong probably wont have played as well as they did today.
What we need to get out of it is simply improvement in areas of obvious weakness.

They will beat us convincingly. We still have too many players who get physically dominated in the contest. Whitfield, Kelly, Wilson etc all submit in tackles and don't stick enough of their own. Geelong are older, more composed and too big for us across the park.

Based on relative games from round 1, it's a pessimistic outlook, as seen by the initial posts. But we must show we improve. Can only hope Geelong might be a bit overconfident, but I doubt it. It's going to be a hard slog for the mids to turn their games around - especially the tackle pressure and winning centre clearances. Mummy is critical - needs to be dominant but not give away the easy frees. Individual improvement focussed on a team gameplan is the only hope we have.

I expect: Cogs in, not Haynes (at least 1-2 more weeks in NEAFL, & defence wasn't too bad), maybe Patfull & Patton; contenders for outs: Steele/Greene/ Buntine/Kennedy & Stewart for Patton if LC thinks the General's confidence is back.

I think it will be closer than people think. They looked good today because it was such a good flowing game from both sides.

However if there was a betting market for dangerfield to get 60 possessions it would be worth a bet

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Will Cogs play this week? (also why didn't he play against the Dees?) He's in my draft league :)

Cheers lads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we think Stevie J will respond to the criticism? Will he take the blinders off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do we think Stevie J will respond to the criticism? Will he take the blinders off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, during the 2007 grand final he copped a bit from team mates at half time for ignoring open targets,taking the shot and missing. In the second half he gave almost everything off and won the Norm Smith. He followed it up in 2008 by leading the club I goal assists.

So I hope so.

They have basically been called out on two shows last night... Being labelled selfish is not something any player let alone club wants.
I don't disagree with these statements either. It's very disappointing to see clubs like Melbourne and the Dogs playing more structured, selfless footy.
You have to ask the question of our coaches and leaders... Why is a group that have been together for a number of years now still playing selfishly? If Luke Beveridge was our coach would this be happening?

Well, during the 2007 grand final he copped a bit from team mates at half time for ignoring open targets,taking the shot and missing. In the second half he gave almost everything off and won the Norm Smith. He followed it up in 2008 by leading the club I goal assists.

So I hope so.
Fingers crossed!!

Guys ..id say it will be closer than a few seem to think. You are coming off a loss and will want to bounce. For us it was a big win.. and still with some youngish players..as you know they can be up and down.

To me the key matchup will revolve around Smith/Stanley<>Mumford.. if we can again have an influence at CB then it will go a long way to shaping it our way. Did Lobb not play on the ball at all? No hit outs accredited to him? If Selwood and Danger get enough ball , supported by Duncan, Caddy and Blitz we will go OK.

Scully is a work horse.. Id be tempted to try Blitz on him , he will at least be able to keep up.

Shaw gets quite a bit of ball , id be wanting to close that down with Gregson or someone keeping an eye on him

SJ.. he will always be SJ. When they are goals he looks fantastic but at other times it will draw criticism. He loves big games so Id expect him to be on for this. Im hoping the Enright could be used to minimise him. IF you are big game finals bound you will want him in your side.... but the SJ-ism's is just something that goes with the package I'm afraid.

Motlop is no where near best yet , after a supersize me off season.. but when on he can burn as you would know from last year.

Not sure if we make changes... Menzel and Vardy both did well in VFL practice match... so we have guys knocking on the door.

Our backline is still sorting itself out. Its quite tall , and it probably suits us to have a Lobb or someone like that

Im certainly am not taking it for an easy win etc... I doubt the club will either.. you have a heap of talent and will bounce back. Should be a good match

True.. not good match for size.
Dont know if youve seen scully play before except on telly.
The bloke is a greyhound and gets no recognition for his coverage of the ground to add numbers at contest.
Will be interesting to see a 5,000 metre loper against him though.

Dont know if youve seen scully play before except on telly.
The bloke is a greyhound and gets no recognition for his coverage of the ground to add numbers at contest.
Will be interesting to see a 5,000 metre loper against him though.

Yes Ive seen him play multiple times either for Melb or GWS... even U18's. Its a possible miss-match but id also try to use Blitz the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back