• 28 Lewis Taylor

Votes: 146 93.0%
  • 12 Stefan Martin

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • 38 Tom Rockliff

Votes: 134 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished watching the replay the replay this morning before work and was really happy to see a good win. It may have been against a depleted team but still great for morale.
Thought Lewy was prob our best (great to see how much he has improved this year) with Beams and Rocky also great.
Struggled with the next two votes and could have gone multiple ways but went with Andrews and Gardiner. Thought the defensive unit did really well in not have another KPP kick a bag against us. Just need to tighten up on the smalls crumbing goals.
Lester in his 100th was pretty good. Again you could see him pop up in key moments all over the ground. Clearly Fagan loves his flexibility and trusts him where ever we need help. Was happy to see him burst out of a clearance and show a bit of speed to run away from ??? I forget which Sun.
Martin had a strange game I thought. He was sadly getting beaten by an old but inexperienced Currie in the air but then was important in a lot of clearances. Not sure how to view him at the moment.
Close I thought must have had a shocker by the stats but think he played a decent role (not all our talls will kick a bag every week). He crashed packs and brought the ball to ground a few times. Probably unlucky to not have 1 more goal due to the Hipwood snap. Altogether hope Close gets to play the last two to have a bit of continuity. We really are stacked for key forwards and some of them are probably unlucky that they have had a good injury run. Sadly think that might mean the end of either Freeman or Hammelman at this point.

I agree that Close gave a contest and deserves another game. He does look a fairly limited player though.
Agree he is probably never going to be a number 1 forward but think he has shown enough that he could be that 2nd forward leading up the ground. Looking around most clubs and really most second forwards dont kick more than 1-2 goals a week

Biggest disappointment with Close was him taking it on the 50 and looking desperately to pass it off. Seems very strange that for a guy with his size he struggles to kick it 45-50 meters. Will definitely limit his potential impact on games if he can't be a goal threat from that range, especially as it seems CHF is going to be his most suited position.

That said I thought he did a good job contesting for the ball in the air across the game and would like to seem him stay in the team for next week.

I agree that Close gave a contest and deserves another game. He does look a fairly limited player though.
It may be that he is better suited to the lower level but Close seems a better player when he has built up an understanding with others.

He'll never be the key but could be a really useful piece of these puzzle.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that inside info? (Size Matters)

Freeman obviously has been. hasn't played a senior game all year and is out of contract.

Close and Beams are OOC and have played 7/8 games this year so 'no excuse' not to have cemented a spot if they were up to it... at the same time I still think there is hope particularly for Close who is youngish (23) for a key tall and did a knee so missed more footy. Beams @ 26yo is past it IMO.

If Close and Freeman are delisted and Hammer is not re-rookied. Outside of our team this week our talls would be Frost, Skinner, Smith, Oscar and probably Ballenden. (assume Schache into the 22 in place of Close). Not sure we want a 18yo as our only KPF cover in the reserves.

Bewick is under contract so would be a 'bigger' call to delist him.

Agree he is probably never going to be a number 1 forward but think he has shown enough that he could be that 2nd forward leading up the ground. Looking around most clubs and really most second forwards dont kick more than 1-2 goals a week
But realistically he is a 1 goal a game forward isn't he? We need to aim higher. I'm sure Noble is.

Is that inside info? (Size Matters)

Freeman obviously has been. hasn't played a senior game all year and is out of contract.

Close and Beams are OOC and have played 7/8 games this year so 'no excuse' not to have cemented a spot if they were up to it... at the same time I still think there is hope particularly for Close who is youngish (23) for a key tall and did a knee so missed more footy. Beams @ 26yo is past it IMO.

If Close and Freeman are delisted and Hammer is not re-rookied. Outside of our team this week our talls would be Frost, Skinner, Smith, Oscar and probably Ballenden. (assume Schache into the 22 in place of Close). Not sure we want a 18yo as our only KPF cover in the reserves.

Bewick is under contract so would be a 'bigger' call to delist him.
Hammer not going anywhere in 2018. Terms agreed to many months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They got Bewick to a 100 games and he hasn't been seen since.

Put him out to a breeding paddock.

Seriously, worse things could happen in life.

Inside info or gut feel?
no inside info on their likelihood to get moved on. Just what I think will happen. I have heard those are some names this season that have been taking it easy, enjoying themselves a bit too much and that. Close really surprised me as I thought he was an ultimate professional but apparently not so much this year. I guess he knew his cards were marked? Also Billy Puller is on the money re. Williams for what it's worth. Can't see him being here next year... more so for off field stuff than anything.

Hammer not going anywhere in 2018. Terms agreed to many months ago.
I don't know about his contract status for next season but I have heard nothing but good things about Hammer. It has 'clicked' for him with regards to his professional approach to the game. One of our hardest trainers. I think he deserves another go around.

But realistically he is a 1 goal a game forward isn't he? We need to aim higher. I'm sure Noble is.
Would we like higher yes but realistically here is a real quick goal kicking list of the top 2nd key forwards:
Hooker 39
Josh Jenkins 38
Darling 38
Peter Wright 28
Sam Reid 26
Tom McDonald 23

There's also a bunch of smalls or midfielders who have similar numbers. But if Close (or any of our second talls) kick over 1.5 goals a game these days they are in the best 5 for that role over the year

Would we like higher yes but realistically here is a real quick goal kicking list of the top 2nd key forwards:
Hooker 39
Josh Jenkins 38
Darling 38
Peter Wright 28
Sam Reid 26
Tom McDonald 23

There's also a bunch of smalls or midfielders who have similar numbers. But if Close (or any of our second talls) kick over 1.5 goals a game these days they are in the best 5 for that role over the year

Conspicuously not in that list:
Schache 9 (10 games)
Walker* 8 (9 games)
Close 6 (8 games)
Hammelmann 2 (3 games)
Skinner 2 (1 game)

(Walker gets a pass because he's been played down back a bit).

The opportunity is there for someone to kick a bag (Hipwood is the only tall who's kicked 3 or more goals in a game for us this year, twice) and make the other tall forward position theirs, for a while at least.

We rightly talk about our list being flush with KPF talent, but the time will come soon when they will need to start kicking goals.

Schache 9 (10 games)
Walker* 8 (9 games)
Close 6 (8 games)
Hammelmann 2 (3 games)
Skinner 2 (1 game)

The opportunity is there for someone to kick a bag (Hipwood is the only tall who's kicked 3 or more goals in a game for us this year, twice) and make the other tall forward position theirs, for a while at least.

We rightly talk about our list being flush with KPF talent, but the time will come soon when they will need to start kicking goals.
Why is it conspicuous that Skinner isn't on that list? He's played one game because he's coming back from injury. In what way is that an indictment on him as a player?

Why is it conspicuous that Skinner isn't on that list? He's played one game because he's coming back from injury. In what way is that an indictment on him as a player?
No indictments on any of them, just an observation that as a team we don't have a reliable second tall yet.

Schache 9 (10 games)
Walker* 8 (9 games)
Close 6 (8 games)
Hammelmann 2 (3 games)
Skinner 2 (1 game)

Schache now 19 years old
Walker now 25 years old
Close now 23 years old
Hammellman now 21 years old
Skinner now 20 years old.
Hipwood now 19 years old.
The above ages are worth considering when you talk about KPF's. Walker is the obvious one who should be just about hitting his peak but the rest of them are years away from their best. We need to be patient and not have higher hopes than realistically possible. If they over achieve, HAPPY DAYS but they will take time.

Of course they're young, hence "the time will come soon".

But one would hope that if we're sitting here at the end of 2020, that list has a couple of 20-goal seasons among them.
Agree with that..in fact, we probably should have had had 2 this year instead of just the 1. Pretty confident there will be 2 next season.

Agree with that..in fact, we probably should have had had 2 this year instead of just the 1. Pretty confident there will be 2 next season.
We also do really well out of our smalls/mids.
Zorko 31 goals (19 games)
Basti 18 (14)
Lewy 17 (20)
DBeams 16 (17)
Lester 14 (20)
Barrett 14 (15)

Really I'd say if any of the above listed key talls got a run of about 20 games next year they should be a good chance of 20+ which will put us in good territory

Back