Round 21 Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonas had one bad game against Richmond in Round 4 and this board (still furious over the co-captaincy thing, but taking out their anger on the wrong party) has been acting like he's a giant irredeemable spud ever since. He's not in the form that had him selected in the AA squad in 2017 and in 2018, but he's still easily in our best side.

That tigers game was horrendous only 3 weeks ago

No bloody way.

In terms of output, Dixon was by far our worst player last week. But nobody else on the team can replicate the intangibles of his game, none of the three rucks will draw the extra defender like Dixon does, and none of them give leading options as consistently as Dixon does.
I agree. I would keep Dixon but I think Lycett for Dixon is a possibility and I would greatly prefer it to playing one less tall (and I dont think Frampton will be considered.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jonas had one bad game against Richmond in Round 4 and this board (still furious over the co-captaincy thing, but taking out their anger on the wrong party) has been acting like he's a giant irredeemable spud ever since. He's not in the form that had him selected in the AA squad in 2017 and in 2018, but he's still easily in our best side.
I agree. Jonas hasn't been great but he hasn't been that bad either.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we going to be too tall in the wet??

The rain might just see Motlop, wines or some other bizarre selection we haven’t seen yet somehow get into the team.

Yeah I'm really glad someone else shares this point of view. I've been sitting here scratching my head thinking I must be missing something really obvious with Jonas because I think he's be alright this year.

Yeah I'm really glad someone else shares this point of view. I've been sitting here scratching my head thinking I must be missing something really obvious with Jonas because I think he's be alright this year.
This year of our KPD's Clurey is the stand out. Howard, outside his first couple of games to get up to speed, the 2nd best when in defense. Jonas a distant third. Serviceable mostly, with some very poor performances, holding his place only by virtue of our KPD stocks are thin.

Last edited:
Didn't watch the game against Hawthorn in Tassie?

As if Frampton or Marshall are not going to take their key defenders. Charlie can bring all the huff n puff he wants but give me goals any day.
It's what its all about isn't.

Charlie is sort of our Cyril Rioli. It's what he does without the ball that's most important. Seriously!

Look at our goals. Charlie draws the biggest, best defender out of the game, and often 2 defenders.
When he gets in the right spot, he contests like no other forward we have can.
Marshall plays his best game of the season because he plays on the 3rd string KPD.
Small forwards get to lead, crumb and rove instead of being tasked to play as contested marking forwards.
Westhoff gets to play his best football down back and is not miscast again as a KPF. A proven losing strategy.
No record intercept mark bullshit.

We've seen this season how well Marshall plays against mature 1st and 2nd key forwards. Frampton is probably not mobile enough nor rated as highly (rightly or wrongly) as Dixon by opposition.

The goals you wanted came from accurate goal kicking, a structured, more open forward line and players being able to spot up and kick to the best options up forward. Charlie helps a lot to create those last 2 situations, in a way that unfortunately no other forward can for us at the moment despite his poor return. Hopefully this will start to improve and he might even kick a couple of goals a match himself.

Again watch how we got our goals.https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2019-08-03/highlights-essendon-v-port-adelaide-ptv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hated Sutcliffe for weeks now but anyone who doesn't see what he offers, watch the 3rd qtr against Essendon.

We are fighting for finals and doing a list ‘refresh’ at the same time.

Question is does Sutcliffe play an important role for the team? Does his role win us games? Is he someone to be developed for the future? Could his role be performed by someone else? Has he actually been good at his role?

1) we have chosen to use a tagger and that may have some merit.
2) De Boer, Clarke, Jacobs, etc have shown that a tagger may help to shut down a gun opposition player and win a game for their team. Defensive forwards have also helped negate backline run. Boak, Rocky, SPP, Wines, etc are all win ball mids, not defensive mids.
3) at 27, 100+ games, at his second club, what you see is what you get. He is unlikely to sharpen his skills or suddenly become a gun.
4) debatable. Ebert is out injured but he can do a job. Atley, Drew, SPP, Woodcock, AJ, Trengove, DBJ and Houston could all play this role or something similar. Maybe not as reliably as Cam, we haven’t seen them do it so don’t know.
5) Cam has been ok at times with tagging but it’s no coincidence that we have struggled whilst he has been in and the question has to be asked what is the point of him being on the list or in the side? Do we really think he is the difference between successful finals and another failed campaign? If so, what do we do with him at year’s end? Considering the numbers he has put forward, couldn’t we have tried a Drew/Atley/etc? He has taken ~4 games to get up to scratch, surely a junior player could also have achieved something similar in that time.

My only change would be Ryder for Frampton.

I would also strongly consider getting Howard in to our defence because it’s a joke he’s not in our best 22. Was in borderline AA form in defence early season. In theory could displace any defender in the team. Westhoff/Clurey is probably most like for like.

Charlie is sort of our Cyril Rioli. It's what he does without the ball that's most important. Seriously!

Look at our goals. Charlie draws the biggest, best defender out of the game, and often 2 defenders.
When he gets in the right spot, he contests like no other forward we have can.
Marshall plays his best game of the season because he plays on the 3rd string KPD.
Small forwards get to lead, crumb and rove instead of being tasked to play as contested marking forwards.
Westhoff gets to play his best football down back and is not miscast again as a KPF. A proven losing strategy.
No record intercept mark bulls**t.

We've seen this season how well Marshall plays against mature 1st and 2nd key forwards. Frampton is probably not mobile enough nor rated as highly (rightly or wrongly) as Dixon by opposition.

The goals you wanted came from accurate goal kicking, a structured, more open forward line and players being able to spot up and kick to the best options up forward. Charlie helps a lot to create those last 2 situations, in a way that unfortunately no other forward can for us at the moment despite his poor return. Hopefully this will start to improve and he might even kick a couple of goals a match himself.

Again watch how we got our goals.https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2019-08-03/highlights-essendon-v-port-adelaide-ptv
Fair enough and ^ well argued. Certainly imo we would've won the GWS game with Charlie in.
It aint easy being a Port supporter.

At this point in time I look at it as getting an early start on our 2020 and beyond side.

So:
Ryder --> Lycett
Jonas --> Howard
S. Gray --> Farrell

Spray perhaps hard done by, but he's not part of the future, neither is Ryder. And Jonas as a 'short tall' defender whose slow to boot, is poorly suited to the 6-6-6 rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back