Game Day Round 22, 2018: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK5fDxZ.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 6, 2018 - Hawthorn (13.11.89) defeated St.Kilda (7.12.54)
Round 6, 2017 - Hawthorn (8.7.55) lost to St.Kilda (19.16.130)
Round 4, 2016 - Hawthorn (13.9.87) defeated St.Kilda (13.6.84)

Preview
St.Kilda v Hawthorn

s-l300.jpg

St.Kilda's year from hell continues. After a horrific night against the Bulldogs in Round 20, the Saints started well but 4 goals in 5 minutes to the Bombers before half time effectively ended the contest. What is more disheartening is the fact that the Bombers were down to 2 on the bench for most of the night and didn't have a rotation in the last quarter, yet still won convincingly.

A day later it was the Hawks against the Cats in a heavyweight clash at the MCG with huge finals implications for both the winner and loser. Hawthorn got out to a comfortable 26 point three quarter time lead and the game was all but done with, but goals to Geelong late provided a frantic final few minutes with Jaeger O'Meara kicking the sealer late to solidify Hawthorn's position inside the top eight.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Jack Newnes
HB: Daniel McKenzie, Hugh Goddard, Jimmy Webster
C: Bailey Rice, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
HF: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Rowan Marshall, Ben Long
Foll: Lewis Pierce, Jack Steven, Sebastian Ross
I/C: Blake Acres, Nathan Freeman, David Armitage, Ben Paton

Hawthorn Best 22
B:
Ryan Schoenmakers, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Jack Gunston, Kaiden Brand, Blake Hardwick
C: Conor Nash, Tom Mitchell, James Worpel
HF: Jarman Impey, Ryan Burton, Isaac Smith
F: Luke Breust, Marc Pittonet, Paul Puopolo
Foll: Jonathon Ceglar, Liam Shiels, Jaeger O'Meara
I/C: Shaun Burgoyne, Ricky Henderson, Harry Morrison, Teia Miles

Medical Room

619531.jpg

For the Saints, backman Bailey Rice had his right thumb assessed in the third term but played the game out.

The Hawks lost Jarryd Roughead before the match, with the skipper relenting to ongoing ankle soreness. Blake Hardwick battled a sore shoulder throughout the afternoon, while Ryan Burton came from the field in the last quarter after a head knock.

Preview

586916.jpg

St.Kilda's year from hell continues.
After a deplorable effort in Round 20 against the Bulldogs the Saints took on Essendon in prime time football on a Friday night and stuck with the finals hopefuls for the best part of 2 quarters. An area of focus this week for St.Kilda was to stop the opposition getting a run on in games after the Bulldogs kicked 6 goals in 7 minutes the week before to effectively end the contest. After a strong start by the Saints, a patch of 5 minutes before half time proved St.Kilda's inconsistencies once again, with the Bombers kicking 4 goals in 5 minutes to take a 24 point lead into the main break. They wouldn't look back, ending the night winners by 43 points.

In another disappointing evening for the football club, midfielder Seb Ross continues to mount his case for St.Kilda's best & fairest honour. Ross, in his 100th AFL game, finished with a career high 43 disposals to go along with 7 marks and 9 inside 50's in easily a best on ground display for the Saints.

Others who stood up included Jack Steele (31 disposals, 7 marks, 8 tackles), Jack Billings (25 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals) and David Armitage (25 disposals, 8 marks).

Also we must give another shout-out to Nathan Freeman. After his debut game last week, Freezer's feel good story continued - the young midfielder finishing the game with 14 touches, 5 marks, and this goal;

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and it was the Hawks facing the Cats with finals on the line for both sides. In a cold, wet day at the MCG the Hawks were the ones who gained the ascendancy late in the contest, leading at one stage by 26 points before a predictable Geelong fight back. In a frantic last few minutes the Hawks held on for a very important win in the context of their season.

And what a turn around it's been for Hawthorn, who many wrote off at the conclusion of 2017. But the Hawks are a team full of character, and this year has proved just that. Wins against Collingwood, Geelong (twice), Melbourne, St.Kilda, Essendon (twice), Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs, Carlton and Fremantle. Their losses? Richmond, North Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane (twice), West Coast and GWS. After 20 rounds the Hawks are sitting inside the top four with 13 wins. If they can win their final two games they hold all the cards for a top four finish.

Potential changes

600400p2413EDNmainHugh-Goddard.JPG

After Nathan Brown was sent directly to the tribunal for his ugly collision with Bomber Adam Saad on Friday night, it looks as though he may miss the rest of the season. With St.Kilda fielding a very young side of the past month (debuts to Freeman, Paton, and Lewis Pierce back in the side), we could see defender Hugh Goddard return to St.Kilda's senior side. Hugh's form in the VFL has been strong and last weekend against Casey, Hugh finished with 23 disposals. If selected it would be Goddard's first game in over two years.

Others who could come into the side to face the Hawks are Luke Dunstan (28 disp v Casey), Sam Gilbert, and Maverick Weller who finished with 23 touches and a goal of his own against Casey on the weekend.

Key Match-Ups

619829.jpg

Mitchell v Steele
Jack Steele has been given the task this year of being the Saints defensive midfielder, often taking the role of nullifying the oppositions best midfielder - which, to be honest, he has done very well so far. This weekend Jack will go up against arguably the best midfielder in the game in Tom Mitchell. Mitchell is in the running for this years Brownlow medal after his prolific ball winning ability a stand out across the league. If Steele can keep Mitchell to a relatively quiet night and halt his influence on the contest it will definitely help the Saints win the ball and get things moving their way.

Roughead v Carlisle
Roughead was a late out against Geelong last Saturday so all due reports suggest that he will return to the Hawthorn side on Saturday night. Who will man him? With Nathan Brown likely to miss this week, Jake Carlisle seems the obvious match up for the Hawks skipper. It will be one of the most interesting match ups across the ground. Both players can take a contested mark and both are in great form. If Carlisle can hold Roughie well enough it may just give the Saints enough of a chance to make the game interesting.

Tip

619540.jpg

I can't see it getting much better from here for St.Kilda. Two very poor losses in a row and it seems now that the young side the Saints are fielding are facing the effects of a long season. Hawthorn need to keep pace with the other teams around them if they want to finish inside the top four and get the double chance, so with all that said I can't see St.Kilda winning this game. I would expect a better & more consistent effort but in the end the Hawks just have too much to play for and will be too good.

Hawks by 38 points.

Thoughts?

Hey you guys do autopsy threads pre game, funny stuff.

Will be interesting to see how hard the players go this week as the media have been cranking up the pressure on anyone that has anything to do with your club, from a Hawthorn perspective its amazing how often teams playing our mob get a media bashing the week leading up to our game.

Anyway there has been some scuttlebutt on our trade pages about a couple of your guys the past couple of weeks, might have to see how Gresham and Billings go about it, you guys do like picks right?

Will be at Soulless Stadium to hear your replies.

Play hard, play fair, hope its a good contest.

We have finally had the media on our backs this week. Should have happened 10 or 12 weeks ago but Carlton and Gold Coast stole our spotlight.

Anyway the point I’m trying to make is that it’ll be interesting to see how the players respond to the last week.
Will we get more of the same? Or will they lift and play out of their skins for the coach.

If they’ve ever needed a reason to lift, the last week is as good as any.

I’m looking forward to the game. As tough as this year has been, I’m a little sad there’s only one round left after this week. I’ll enjoy watching the Saints for the second last time this year and I’ll be barracking for a big win.

I know others would like to see a big loss to force Richo out the door quicker but the last thing this team needs is to develop a losing culture.

Go Sainters!!!

Will be interesting to see how hard the players go this week as the media have been cranking up the pressure on anyone that has anything to do with your club, from a Hawthorn perspective its amazing how often teams playing our mob get a media bashing the week leading up to our game.

Anyway there has been some scuttlebutt on our trade pages about a couple of your guys the past couple of weeks, might have to see how Gresham and Billings go about it, you guys do like picks right?

Ugh... Hawthorn supporters..
Yeh sure man, we love picks! See you at ‘soulless stadium’ :rolleyes:

Well given the Hawks ATM only have Picks 14, 32, 50 and 86 in this years draft that should get you Billings right boot.

Youll be in for a treat with such zingers as "You ****** usless ******* halfwits you couldnt ******* hit a ****** target to save yourselves"

I’m looking forward to the game. As tough as this year has been, I’m a little sad there’s only one round left after this week. I’ll enjoy watching the Saints for the second last time this year and I’ll be
Can't say I am sad about it all ending.........the weekly torture has worn most of us down......on field and off field..........dread going to the game footy wise but enjoy the social side of it.

Having said that....to borrow BT's trademark words.

GO SAINTS !!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's strange reading all the talk on here of late and trying to get some sort of positive spin at all on the club currently. Seems most want to lose tonight and have given up on most of the players and pretty much most of the coaches. Pretty ordinary place to be in quite frankly.

My reading is that people are planning a hiatus from any kind of support publicly or privately of anything saints but I'm not sure that will bring anything other than more pain for all. If that's the case plan on a long protracted period of failure with much public bagging and financial contraction bordering on extinction.

Oh when the saints go.......whatever

Seems most want to lose tonight and have given up on most of the players and pretty much most of the coaches. Pretty ordinary place to be in quite frankly.
I for one never want to see us lose........been way too much of that over the last 2 seasons.

Yes.....the club's in turmoil...…...again.....but I'm taking the glass half full attitude.

The club has a had a MIGHTY BIG wake up call.....I can't help but feel this will be for the long term good.

All the problems have been laid bare for all to see......all the bad decisions taken over the last 4-5 years....….better this now and all concerned can try and take the right action.

It's like the club has been in a fog the last few years and no one inside could accurately see what's going wrong.

I spoke to several Saints fans yesterday....all agreed we're in a big mess....but all did say it is fixable with obviously the correct decisions being made going foward.

Now....back to the Saints Kool Aid !

LOL....I've been drinking that crap for years!
Tastes like piss...

Strange feeling tonight. Always want to win no matter what
but have had enough of us being loyal to the freckled Foobar!

We were nowhere near this loyal to good Stkilda people
let alone this despicable plant put in place by the filth!
At least the old wacky Saints would have had him out on his arse by now
and probably tried to be revolutionary by hiring Xavier Clarke as head coach!

Come to think of it...Not a bad idea by the Manic Malaka!
Shall give myself a pat on the back for being such a forward thinker!

I'm thinking Drake Huggins as Prez
Gringo as player morale officer and general melt expert
VDS as head kicker and resident contrarian
Kilroy in charge of entertainment...End of season party
St Trav as resident spiritual and enlightenment officer
Persevering Saint and Narkles Helmet for tactics and motivation, failing that preparing players for life after football
Dr Spaceman in charge of IT and pr0n
Saint Watto and BT co leaders of cheersquad
Sir Skid..Kegs on Legs for social club and bingo night
George as the CEO and head of all PM action
Indie Rock Man responsible for alcohol and responsible consumption
Joffa Boy given carte blanche to just waltz around the joint and scream incoherently whenever he wants
And i'll provide the Pinga's for the players at the disco after we get flogged every week!

This looks to be a professional working model to take the club forward through
this most difficult time! You all know it's just common sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back