Review Round 22, 2022 - St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiddy was a bit out of touch tonight. Got pinged a couple of times .

We did have players who lifted when we needed it . Rayner ,Oscar , Starcevich .
St.Kilda tagged / locked him down beautifully. He hardly ever had a spare metre on his opponents.

Last edited:

Zorks seems to cop a lot of criticism . Ok we know he's near the end.

But I wish a couple of our bigger guys had as much pluck and courage as he has.

He let us down as a leader tonight, not as a player.

Saints put a lot of work into Kiddy. He still managed to deliver some brilliant inside 50 kicks.

Rich exploited their focus on Kiddy, particularly in the second half. 2 quality ball users off half back is essential to our structure.
Yes. There were a couple of them onto Kiddy as soon as he got near it. That should leave someone else free. Rich isn't at the standard he was last year. He tries really hard . It'd be nice if we could get a runner down there to break the lines. I suppose you can't have everything.

Saints put a lot of work into Kiddy. He still managed to deliver some brilliant inside 50 kicks.

Rich exploited their focus on Kiddy, particularly in the second half. 2 quality ball users off half back is essential to our structure.
The boys looked after Kiddy while he was receiving the most attention he'd ever seen before I think.

Have you noticed though how flipping TOUGH the squad is?! Every line full of hard nuts. Yes including the forward line. If you disgree you are wrong and disqualified from replying to this post because I don't respect you.

Seems Fagan has timed the use of his 'interesting kind of umpiring' call out one time only card to good effect by calling out how neale was handled. Melbourne up next we need that to be on the umps' mind ;)

Last edited:
They did put a lot of attention into Kiddy (about time another club did) but I also think he looked tired. I suspect the late start to the year and being a young player is coming through now. We need him in the team but I reckon the prefinals bye can't come soon enough for him

Anyone else sitting near the St Kilda nuffy on Level 3 that firstly, said Charlie Cameron isn't the best small forward in the league (bad enough), then backed it up by saying he'd prefer the Daicos brothers (Max King style clanger!)?

Guess I'd be a it loopy following St Kilda too.

P.S. Strange game overall - glad that 3 qtr time siren went. Felt we were always a class above though, across the 4 qtrs. Glad we got no new injuries and have the 7 day break now. Did what we needed to do. Can Rayner back it up next week? (great watching him tonight though - absolute class).

Well done on taming and then controlling that third quarter beast, especially after a five day break and the last time you played there, that you needed the Melways edition 5 to find the ground. I hope you go deep into September.

Will put my hand up and say that I thought Cam was trying too hard to make it happen early. Had two bad misses and got caught a bit, wasn't using it well. Bloody glad he backed himself in because he clearly has the ability and it all came together. Riding that confidence will be key if we're going to have an impact at the pointy end this year.

Workmanlike is a good way to describe that. I actually thought our final term was gritty and relatively pleasing after what we served up in the third. Starc/Oscar were my other standouts. Stoked to have banked the win, bring on the Dees.

Was interesting game to be at.
Should of done a lot more in the first when we had chances.
Saints also should of done better with their chances.

I still worry out of defensive 50 we kick to a pack too often.. you know it about to happen you assume other teams do.
A lot of the time they kick it back in afterwards. I know we got two goals end to end after a behind. That one after King missed would of stung
Although they got a fair chunk of repeat entries after half time.
Seems we cannot buy a mark from our talls on a wing.

Umpiring was weird. 2 frees in the 1st then they started plucking them.
Charlie gets his head ripped off in front of me play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a massive boost of belief for Cam. He's timing his run beautifully and could be our difference maker in next week and finals. Rayner's biggest plus for me in 4th quarter was he didn't fly for the marks. He was outside the pack and let the tall bring the ball to ground - punished them either sneaking forward or on lead.

Thank you again Fages for abandoning the zone. We had no clue and we're terrible implementing it. Man on man is very easy to follow for everyone and comms looked really good again.

I loved how the defense came together multiple times to cheer each other up. There was at least 4 or 5 group high fives. Rich was my worry about covering ground usually but he was awesome last night, backed into packs few times and put body on the line again n again. Our defense looks like a strong unit now. Andrews had a really good game again 1on1.

Matho kept Steele quiet, last year Steele won that game for them so it was a really good result keeping their prime mover down.

Lastly Big O. I was so happy watching him chase the ball in his hands n knees. He was fantastic thumping it out of packs and sending us our way. That 70m roost totally deserved a goal.

Bottom line - we found a way in Melbourne after a 5 day turnaround. Very happy for the coaching group and players. Had we managed to hang on against Richmond we would be on a 5 game win streak before finals. Very good build up for our team.

A good observation. Never seen a half back flanker so heavily tagged. He was getting double teamed. I thought St.Kilda were well coached last night.

That would be a massive boost of belief for Cam. He's timing his run beautifully and could be our difference maker in next week and finals. Rayner's biggest plus for me in 4th quarter was he didn't fly for the marks. He was outside the pack and let the tall bring the ball to ground - punished them either sneaking forward or on lead.

Thank you again Fages for abandoning the zone. We had no clue and we're terrible implementing it. Man on man is very easy to follow for everyone and comms looked really good again.

I loved how the defense came together multiple times to cheer each other up. There was at least 4 or 5 group high fives. Rich was my worry about covering ground usually but he was awesome last night, backed into packs few times and put body on the line again n again. Our defense looks like a strong unit now. Andrews had a really good game again 1on1.

Matho kept Steele quiet, last year Steele won that game for them so it was a really good result keeping their prime mover down.

Lastly Big O. I was so happy watching him chase the ball in his hands n knees. He was fantastic thumping it out of packs and sending us our way. That 70m roost totally deserved a goal.

Bottom line - we found a way in Melbourne after a 5 day turnaround. Very happy for the coaching group and players. Had we managed to hang on against Richmond we would be on a 5 game win streak before finals. Very good build up for our team.
Great post. Also Cameron was ferocious last night. His defensive work and attack on the ball was the best I have ever seen. He was all over the defenders and if this is possible, looked like he had picked up a yard of pace. Maybe it was the effect of seeing him live, but he was blistering. If he has a good Finals series, we will be hard to stop. Also on Daniher, he tried his guts out last night, playing higher up the field and really having a crack. He played the McStay role and did well. Showed character and is obviously carrying a niggle.

Great post. Also Cameron was ferocious last night. His defensive work and attack on the ball was the best I have ever seen. He was all over the defenders and if this is possible, looked like he had picked up a yard of pace. Maybe it was the effect of seeing him live, but he was blistering. If he has a good Finals series, we will be hard to stop. Also on Daniher, he tried his guts out last night, playing higher up the field and really having a crack. He played the McStay role and did well. Showed character and is obviously carrying a niggle.
Agree with what you have said plus I think Hippy continues to improve and will also be primed for finals the way he is heading

Has to take a break half way through the third quarter.

Those momentum swings are souls destroying. We like to think our team went missing, but it's really just the other team switches on and has their purple patch.

That seems to be a signature of finals games.

I think in the 4th we held our nerve well. They kicked poorly but we rebounded well.

For all the talk of Rayner’s 4 goals, he was also instrumental in another passage of play that led to goal. His ability to take a key contested mark on the wing made the whole thing possible. If he spilled it, it was going up the other end.

He is a “moments” player, and he’s making more and more of those moments count.

The game day threads have become an absolute joke in recent seasons with a core group of posters making me wonder why the support the club or football at all.

The level of vitriol at the players and coaches has gone beyond what should be acceptable but seems like it’s now a free for all to abuse and denigrate the team we all should love.

We have won 60 games across the last 4 seasons vs 17 in the 4 years before that.

All for reasonable and even slightly unreasonable comments/suggestions but I think a few on here should be really embarrassed by how they talk about the club.

Not for one minute thinking we’re perfect and don’t have a lot of room for improvement but I’d hate to see what it’s be like if we win 3 games in a season like we did in 2016 and got pumped game after game.

The issue is hope, hope kills a man. People have hope now, hope of a premiership, they didn’t have that previously.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The issue is hope, hope kills a man. People have hope now, hope of a premiership, they didn’t have that previously.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nice Shawshank reference.

That would be an awesome marketing slogan for our 2023 season if we have a quick finals exit this year.

#HopeKillsAMan2023

Frustrating after how positive the Carlton game was to crash back to a mid range team. Almost the entire midfield played well against Carlton which is what we’ll need in finals but last night it was only Clug and centre clearances.

We also didn’t arrest the momentum in the last. They absolutely smashed us and owned the territory. It was only their poor goal kicking and Adams brilliance that got us over the line

Think it was a poorer effort than the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the pre finals bye freshens us up so we get to see one more win this season

Frustrating after how positive the Carlton game was to crash back to a mid range team. Almost the entire midfield played well against Carlton which is what we’ll need in finals but last night it was only Clug and centre clearances.

We also didn’t arrest the momentum in the last. They absolutely smashed us and owned the territory. It was only their poor goal kicking and Adams brilliance that got us over the line

Think it was a poorer effort than the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the pre finals bye freshens us up so we get to see one more win this season

I was at the game and thought we looked a level above all game.

First half we were in full control of the game, should have been 50 points up at half time.

Then, the third was abysmal. Stopped running, I could write 6 paragraphs about it - it was horrible.

Then in the last, to me, it was all 5 day break. We just defended, repelled, took time off the clock. Then got goals back the other way in timely intervals.

I think it was on par with the last few weeks, they just defend us well.

Our good is very good, or bad is atrocious - but the good is lasting longer in game. Just need to not have those monumental lapses.

All up not a step backward in my mind and a good little bit out for defending the scoreboard in finals.

Review Round 22, 2022 - St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions

Back