Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes V the best team McStay may not have had a great game but generally though he performs his role well and if he kicks the odd goal or two that's a bonus. Just see some criticising Dan for not leading when that's generally not his role.
McStay has kicked a total of 3 goals from the last 9 games. I know that part of his “alleged role” is to apply forward pressure, but I humbly suggest that kicking goals is an important role for a Full Forward. McStay had 1 tackle for the game against Richmond and did not take a single mark inside 50. Now let’s look at our opponents. Over the same period Richmond’s Full Forward, Tom Lynch has kicked 26 goals. This is going to come back and bite us, because as we saw during the last game against Richmond, we are too reliant on Cameron and our midfielders to kick a winning score. Come finals the good teams will punish us unless we can get the maximum out of Hipwood and players like McCarthy and Bundy. All they need to do is put a heavy tag on Cameron and if our midfielders don’t fire we are three parts shot. Hipwood has kicked 13 goals in the last nine games, but 5 of those came in one game, against Melbourne. That said, Hipwood has been doing a power of work up the field and I thought he was great against Richmond. He is due for a bag and we desperately need one.

I think we will beat Richmond, because I suspect Fagan is going to rejig our attack, but the deeper we go into September the more important it is that we don’t have passengers in the team and based on his numbers, McStay has had lots of chances and is looking like our number one passenger.

Hipwood identified the same issues with our forward line here:
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-0...heat-on-forwards-to-stand-tall-against-tigers

Clearly he isn’t going to name names, but what he says is correct. The problem is that in terms of scoring goals, our Full Forward hasn’t stepped up.

Last edited:
McStay has kicked a total of 3 goals from the last 9 games. I know that part of his “alleged role” is to apply forward pressure, but I humbly suggest that kicking goals is an important role for a Full Forward. McStay had 1 tackle for the game against Richmond and did not take a single mark inside 50. Now let’s look at our opponents. Over the same period Richmond’s Full Forward, Tom Lynch has kicked 26 goals. This is going to come back and bite us, because as we saw during the last game against Richmond, we are too reliant on Cameron and our midfielders to kick a winning score. Come finals the good teams will punish us unless we can get the maximum out of Hipwood and players like McCarthy and Bundy. All they need to do is put a heavy tag on Cameron and if our midfielders don’t fire we are three parts shot. Hipwood has kicked 13 goals in the last nine games, but 5 of those came in one game, against Melbourne. That said, Hipwood has been doing a power of work up the field and I thought he was great against Richmond. He is due for a bag and we desperately need one.

I think we will beat Richmond, because I suspect Fagan is going to rejig our attack, but the deeper we go into September the more important it is that we don’t have passengers in the team and based on his numbers, McStay has had lots of chances and is looking like our number one passenger.
Yer, I feel that Dan has been a bit down of late, liked his form in the first half of the year though. We probably have KPFs on our list who would kick more goals than Dan but just don't have the ones as agile and quick who would put on the same pressure, and there's no way Fages is going to omit Dan and bring in someone like Wooller, Ballenden or Skinner after playing zero seniors in 2019 for a huge final. The only options would Josh Walker, he is a good mark but offers little in the way of forward pressure IMO, I also couldn't see us pushing Marcus Adams forward after what has been a rapid rate of improvement for him since coming into the side in the back half, he'd need games to settle into that role and now the finals is here we do not have that time. So for me it will be the status quo for now, nothing surer than Bundy in for Cox and that's it.

The above is one of the reasons I would be keen on a mature KPF (Josh Bruce maybe?) in a trade, it is one area of the ground that we could improve and IMO a Josh Bruce would certainly do that until we find out for sure if McStay or one of the younger KPFs is the answer as the long term partner with Hippy.

Came up as one of my ignored members, but I did look to see who you were interacting with Nunez and I must say I’m not surprised.
Coming from a guy who replies to his own posts proves how worthless that opinion is. Maybe talk about how your kids kicking is better than Mcstay and how bad Rayner is week after week. Shame you’ll miss it.

I said a few time we carry passengers most weeks although win.
Yes you could say the same about most teams
All of of our forward line (even Charlie) had a few off games, sometimes in a row.
Our mids Zorko, Lyons and McCluggage covered for them a lot of games.
Not sure if it is a long tough season, game plan, young kids or whatever.
Maybe the week off will help. If they all switched on we destroy any team.

Here is something interesting
Round 1 team vs Round 23 team. only 3 changes. If you take Bundy instead of Cox all upgrades. Sorry BRAB
Adams in for Walker
Answerth in for Basti
Cox(Bundy) in for Matho

Tigers 6 changes: All good players as well ins. Rance/Nakervis both guns to loose although Soldo been good and their defence still solid.
out Rance, Butler, higgins , McIntosh, Nankervis, Weller
in: Ellis, Caddy, Castagna, Soldo, Baker, Bolton

Look at the goals of the week videos on the Lions website. A lot of the goals scored over the back involve Mcstay winning a groundball at CHF or tapping or blocking a tackle in the pocket. He essentially plays like a small in a tall body. Rayner on the other hand plays like a conventional tall forward. Mcstay is doing his role. His presence in the forward half immediately warrants a spare defender which frees up a small on the ground. Some people need to appreciate that there is more than one way to play football and that the game has changed since the 80s.

Back