Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My prediction- Neale will cop 2, just to make sure of it.

We'll be all the better for the run. We know where we need to improve, and you can only learn from the best.

I just hope we have some of the better officials in charge. Like the little bloke who is generally unaffected by the baying nutters. Even the bald-headed git would be an improvement.

Did anyone see the Neale hit? Or seen a clip of it?
This is honestly all I can find.

It honestly just looks like they get tangled up and then Graham drags Lachie to the ground. There is another replay from the end of the ground but it's super far away and it doesn't show anything different. It looks rather innocuous so you'd reckon he'll be fine.

I think you need to go back and read previous comments in this thread. At no point did I say McStay or any of our other forwards lost us the game.

And my opinion that we should be looking for a forward in the draft/trade period is not saying McStay loses his spot. Forward lines, as well as in the middle and down back, can always be improved.
Ok. Why do we need to look at forward recruitment as you say when we score more than any other team in the comp and our conversion rate is also elite when the ball comes into our forward 50?
Please be assured i am not critisising your post, just trying to understand your reasoning given the stats & facts.

This is honestly all I can find.

View attachment 734311

It honestly just looks like they get tangled up and then Graham drags Lachie to the ground. There is another replay from the end of the ground but it's super far away and it doesn't show anything different. It looks rather innocuous so you'd reckon he'll be fine.

Is that it :tearsofjoy:

Here I was worried.

Ok. Why do we need to look at forward recruitment as you say when we score more than any other team in the comp and our conversion rate is also elite when the ball comes into our forward 50?
Please be assured i am not critisising your post, just trying to understand your reasoning given the stats & facts.
Call me greedy.

Why can't we have dynamic small forwards and also a dominant CHF/FF? Maybe it's because we were spoiled with the likes of Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw but I miss having that big FF and CHF that can crash packs. Something that Hipwood and McStay can't consistently do... yet.

Beaten by a better side that has been together for 4-5yrs on a ground we have only played on 3 times in 2yrs. Richmonds linking run was excellent, kicking skills were better and they slipped thru a lot of ineffective tackles. Richmond must be flag favorites.

Having said that, im sure we wont play them the same way next time, we will go in with better match ups and plans, we must commit and hold on to the tackle, and we must alter our entries into the fwd 50. I read garry lyons suggest we are better kicking mongrel ground balls into the 50 eliminating richmonds intercept marking but still creating chaos on the ground that suits the small fwds. May be something to that.

No shame in the loss, lots of lessons learnt. We should be better next time.

I get all of the disappointment, but I won't buy into the slamming of players as no good, must be dropped, trade them out, etc.

More knowledgeable heads than us keyboard warriors have used a very unchanged group to get us to second spot, 2 home finals and the best season of football we've had for years.

Our team might not be perfect, but it is the highest scoring team in the comp backed up by a red hot midfield and a miserly defence. I can't see us making major changes to the team that has been super successful so far this year.

Kids like Toby Wooller, Connor Ballenden and Jack Payne will be key position options next year, and will rightfully be putting pressure on Hipwood, Mcstay, Gardner, Adams and Walker. But that will be then.

Same could be said for a whole bunch of the NEAFL team. Played really well, doing all the right things, but a successful year with few injuries has limited their chances. Sometimes you have to be patient.

Anyway, Fages will be working to get things right for us to have our best shot. Don't mind the discussion re options and "What I would do" stuff but I can't stand the running down of our own boys.

That's my rant for the day.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about Linc? Supposedly pulled up pretty sore.

Can’t help but think the break will do someone like him who has missed a lot of footy the world of good. He’s someone we really need to be firing come next week as Charlie will have his hands full with Grimes again.

Spot on. Linc started the year off with a bang, only to slow down as the grind got to him. Post-bye dominated, only to slow down towards the last few rounds. The break is exactly what a guy like him and Adams need as they get used to full time football schedules.

I haven't gone out and canceled my hotel room in Melbourne for the grand final, the sky is not falling and I'm not hearing and singing fat woman. I'm actually very positive still. Richmond played well, top of their game. We on the other hand played poorly in patches and have a lot of improvement just to get to our average game. I read it that we got a sighter, we now know what we need to do in 2 weeks time against the same side and this time its on our own dung heap. Bundy will come back in for Cox and no other changes. We will just raise our eyes a bit when kicking into the forward line and put the ball somewhere near our forwards so they can make a contest of it. Here we go..... here we go...... very excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extrapolating from Cox's game where he jumped from NEAFL to the G mad house, he looks to be a seriously good player given an extended run in the 1's next year
Yep, lots of improvements in his game compared to last time. Tackling has improved significantly, plus his disposal efficiency looked better

Definitly needs an extended run, min 4 games. He would be my first player to replace Hodge.

Call me greedy.

Why can't we have dynamic small forwards and also a dominant CHF/FF? Maybe it's because we were spoiled with the likes of Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw but I miss having that big FF and CHF that can crash packs. Something that Hipwood and McStay can't consistently do... yet.
We will. Given the time you need to develop young guys, we are doing remarkably well in bringing on these boys. It's worth mentioning that Key Position Players (especially key forwards) often don't reach their potential until they are 26-27 years old. Given Hipwood is still 21 years old and yesterday had 13 posessions/8 marks (4 of them contested) and has kicked 32 goals thus far (23rd on the most goals kicked in 2019) why would you not be excited to see him develop into (potentially) "one of the best Key Forwards in our club's history." I believe we are much better off developing the young guys we have rather than go on the hunt for an expensive key forward from outside. This group of young men will be providing us all exciting times for years to come. I dont think you are greedy for 1 moment, but I do think we look at things the wrong way sometimes....just my opinion.

We will. Given the time you need to develop young guys, we are doing remarkably well in bringing on these boys. It's worth mentioning that Key Position Players (especially key forwards) often don't reach their potential until they are 26-27 years old. Given Hipwood is still 21 years old and yesterday had 13 posessions/8 marks (4 of them contested) and has kicked 32 goals thus far (23rd on the most goals kicked in 2019) why would you not be excited to see him develop into (potentially) "one of the best Key Forwards in our club's history." I believe we are much better off developing the young guys we have rather than go on the hunt for an expensive key forward from outside. This group of young men will be providing us all exciting times for years to come. I dont think you are greedy for 1 moment, but I do think we look at things the wrong way sometimes....just my opinion.
Agree, for his age Hipwood is tracking staggeringly well considering he is still 3-4 years minimum away from his prime.

I am a bit worried about Dan McStay though, 24 years old now and has looked like he is on the cusp of breaking out a few times, I was of the opinion half way through the year that he could go to Jack Darling type levels with his play. Not sure now, could be more the Matt Taberner tease type player, hope I am wrong.

Maybe Connor Ballenden, Toby Wooller or Sam Skinner could go past Dan in 2020.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Unfortunately due to 7 using a behind-the-goals shot for the final bounce of Q3, 1 inside mid couldn't be identified as they never appeared on camera post-bounce during the final 52 seconds.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

Neale 24
McCluggage 19 (15w, 4i)
Robinson 17 (16w, 1i)
J.Lyons 16
Bailey 13 wing
J.Berry 12 (2w)
Zorko 12
McCarthy 3
Rayner 2
Cox 1 wing

Unknown 1

Rucks:
Martin 16
McInerney 8

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Neale 6
J.Lyons 2
McCluggage 2
Zorko 2
Robinson 1
McCarthy 1

1st Half - 14

Neale 14
Robinson 12 (11w, 1i)
McCluggage 11 (8w, 3i)
J.Lyons 10
J.Berry 8 (2w)
Zorko 8 (1w)
Bailey 6 wing
Rayner 1

Martin 11
McInerney 3

2nd Half - 10

Neale 10
McCluggage 8 (7w, 1i)
Bailey 7 wing
J.Lyons 6
Robinson 5 wing
J.Berry 4
Zorko 4
McCarthy 3
Rayner 1
Cox 1 wing

Unknown 1

McInerney 5
Martin 5

Notes:
- Neale becomes the 3rd inside mid after Patrick Cripps (twice) and Taylor Adams to attend every bounce in an analysed game.

I was sitting near the players race and watched as Hodge gathered all the players and spoke to them before they left the ground.. It was really good to see - he shows so much leadership on the ground. We will miss him next year. I was wondering if we still need that leadership ....Maybe a Burgoyne would be good?

Also the players were great with the kids yesterday - singing autographs and having photos with them pre and post game. Big congrats to Berry, Andrews and McCluggage for their efforts - well done fellas. The excitement it caused to the kids around me was fantastic. One of the lovely things about footy.

The difference between the two teams was the forward lines, Richmond have Riewalt and Lynch while we have Hipwood and McStay.
McStay is a VFL level player and out of his depth in the AFL, he can't play CHF effectivly, lacks footy naus, struggles to impact the game, and his set shots at goal are embarrasing.
Hipwood while better than McStay does not have the upper body strength to take on key defenders one on one or crash through a pack, he would make a decent 2nd string tall forward, but he will never be a great CHF.
Walker should be brought in forMcStay durinf the finals and when trade period starts the Lions should be looking for a mature tall forward who can hold down the position.
Absolutely gibberish, if hipwood and Mcstay had the same level of service from our mids they’d have torn Richmond apart.

Back