Round 23 fixture speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Id actually prefer a couple of the games on the sunday to be relevant and not dead rubbers.. nothing worse than round 23 sunday watching crap games that mean nothing... make the sunday twilight Geelong v GWS! So we have the excitement to see where the two sides finish in the top 4

According to Jon Ralph on AFL Tonight, Geelong have requested a Monday Night fixture for Round 23, in order to minimise the number of days between their last game and their first final...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Jon Ralph on AFL Tonight, Geelong have requested a Monday Night fixture for Round 23, in order to minimise the number of days between their last game and their first final...

I definitely don't like the bye but if true I don't like the club publicly asking for this fixture. It says to everyone that we've got a problem dealing with byes / weeks off (which they have), it could sub-consciously give the players an out too.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/1f4fff6dcae0011a976ae580c22dd922

Geelong requests Monday game in Round 23 to shorten break between qualifying final
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
July 11, 2017 7:00pmSubscriber only

GEELONG has asked the AFL for a Monday night home blockbuster in Round 23 to shorten the break before a potential qualifying final.
The Cats take on Greater Western Sydney in the final round in a floating fixture that the AFL will lock down in coming weeks.

That game could be for a top-two spot and would shape as the perfect Friday night clash as well as a possible farewell for Steve Johnson to his former city.

But Cats chief executive Brian Cook told the Herald Sun the football department had requested a Monday night game.

Geelong and GWS both lost preliminary finals last year despite winning qualifying finals, playing only two games in a four-week block.

Greater Western Sydney doesn’t want to play on Friday night either, keen for a Saturday night game to give it seven-day break from Round 22.

All finals teams will get at least 10 days break leading into a possible Thursday night final that will follow the post-Round 23 bye.

Geelong has lost a series of games after the bye including this year’s clash with West Coast, but narrowly won last year’s qualifying final against Hawthorn after a week’s break.

Cook said the fixture would likely draw less fans on a Monday night but the football department would win out.

“It will be an interesting one. Our football department’s wish is to have it as late as possible so we have the least rest possible (leading into the finals),’’ Cook said.

“That may not be in alignment with our commercial team who don’t see the Monday night as drawing a great crowd.

“But given the importance of the game we will fall on the side of the football department on this one.

“We will take whatever we get from the AFL but our priority is to play on a Monday.”

The AFL could also fixture the Hawthorn-Western Bulldogs clash as the Friday night clash given both teams could be in finals contention.

It will likely be Luke Hodge’s farewell but the AFL is adamant it will not consider that in locking down its floating Round 23 fixture.

West Coast v Adelaide is a potential Friday night fixture but Richmond v St Kilda cannot be played on Friday night as those teams play the previous Sunday.

Last year the AFL was keen to fixture a Monday game to finish the home-and-away season but with Channel Seven lukewarm that push was aborted.

GWS chief operating officer James Avery said the Giants footy department were keen on a Saturday night free-to-air game in Round 23.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

“In order to avoid a six-day break and maximise preparations for a potential opening final, Saturday looks to be the most appropriate slot for the Giants’ Round 23 match.”

Cook said clubs were happy to play a Thursday night qualifying or elimination final.

“I think the sides who play on that Thursday night will get a fair amount of rest so it’s not that different to last year when people got an extra week’s rest.”

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge remains furious at pundits who suggested the Dogs were helped in their premiership quest by the post-Round 23 bye.

But there is no doubt it has added an extra dimension that reduces the advantage for the qualifying finalists, who arguably have too much rest through September.

pls make adelaide vs west coast last round on the friday night an annual thing.
Only on the condition there's the pre finals bye

If we lose that bye I'd be demanding not playing in Perth for 20 years in the final round to make amends for all the times we've been fixtured it in our short history!!

Just no.

Those teams deserve the longest break- they have earnt the right in the top 4.

None of those sides will play later than Saturday.

Yeah see, I told you teams don't need an excessive break. Once it gets to 10 days break it really doesn't matter, you just lose momentum.
Floating fixture is rubbish

As someone with booked flights/accomodation for the Geelong v GWS game I will be furious if it is on Monday night. Just make it the Friday night game ffs.

Country bumpkins in Western Victoria would bitch

Their are already complaints, but to be fair, I think they're justified.

Geelong members have already only had 7 home games, 1 Thursday and 2 Friday night games. Throwing in a Monday game would be a massive slap in the face to some fans (Also, I'm not one of those fans. Reserved seat and live in Melbourne, hold it on Wednesday arvo at 1:28pm for all I care.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back