Preview Round 23 - Lions v Demons 7:50pm at the 'Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it comes down to the final round of the season and what an absolute joy it is to care about September these days after so long in the wilderness where our focus was already on the draft to come without a Lion to be seen in the final’s fixture!

So last week was a game that, at the time of playing, could have had us come out second or fifth – fortunately (or by dint of our incredible skill ;) ) we went with the win in a display or professionalism and inherent awesomeness that stamped our readiness as a finals contender (readers should avoid all contrary evidence/opinion presented in the Game Day thread, the Review Thread, articles in the media and, of course, their own lying eyes)

Last time we met …

There was no last time we met – that game was an abomination and should never be mentioned again (except perhaps by Tunstil when remembering how it all began coming into his 200th game with his beloved Lions) – suffice to say that we lost, and lost badly in what we hoped would be a line in the sand moment that would wake our players up / provide a needed impact to their collective derrieres but seemingly was ‘mulligan-ed’

Changes from that game-which-shall-not-be-mentioned

The Ground
– last time was the MCG … this time is the ‘Gabba so we should all feel more confident on that note.

The Players (hat tip to Section 5 )

Evil Demonic Spawn of Evil …

• out Weiderman, Bedford, Bowey, Harmes
  • in Gawn, Melksham, Rivers, Hunt
Awesome Noble Kings of the Savanah …

• out Payne, T Berry, Dev, M Robbo, Tunstall
  • in Gardiner, Bailey, Zorko, Ah Chee, Mathieson
Of course those ins and outs could be adjusted due to health and selection options but again ain’t it grand to have Matho picked in the team and nobody melts about it!!!!

The Ambiance …

On both occasions Friday night, national coverage, a lot to play for, season defining and the opportunity to show what we are made of. Last time we were the archetypal chocolate soldiers who melt and run when the heat is on … please please please don’t roll over, panic, choke, be complacent, get sucked into de-focusing physicality or give away stupid 50’s at key momentum shifting moments of the game etc and show us your professional, ready-for-finals, we’ve got this, ruthless, this is our game and we are taking it home with us game to the point where our pressure (oh yeah please bring LOTS to pressure and if, pretty please, you might consider doing it for like four whole quarters that would be totally amazing (if sadly non-typical)) makes it look like the Demons are having a bad day.

Ramifications …

We start the weekend on 4th based on percentage with four other teams on 60 points and one on 58.

First is locked – the Cats will be the minor premiers and will play ‘at home’ at the MCG (since Kardina Park (or whatever name it has now) is getting renovated.

Best case scenario is we beat the Demons (obviously) and the Saints beat the Swans (which helpfully we won’t know until late on Sunday) putting us 2nd going into the finals and playing someone like Freo, Pies, or the Dockers week 1 at the ‘Gabba all of which we could be forgiven for having a certain amount of confidence in (especially after defeating the Demons)

Next best is where we beat the Demons but Max King decides to court the love of the Swan’s fans rather than the Saints’ ones and that would put them into 2nd, us into 3rd (unless our wins are such that we gain approx. 4% in which case we stay in 2nd) and our first final would be against the Swans at, presumably, the SCG … again a game we would not be going into with that sign over the gates of Kardinia, “Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here”.

But, someone says, what if we lose? We would finish Friday evening still on fourth with a date at the MCG via the Kitty Kats (again doable and another practice session on the GF ground) but now other folks results may be more affective. If the Dockers win (go Giants) they would leapfrog us, if the Pies win (go cough gag hack Blues) the same and again if the Swans win (go Saints) another step down. So if we lose we end up anywhere from 4th to 6th based on those other three results.

We will certainly be paying attention to the others games this round whether we win or lose but it will be far more enjoyable after a win!

Odds …

Currently the AFL site is reporting Sportbet odds as Lions $1.88 and Demons $1.96 … I don’t know much about odds but that looks like we look about even but slightly in our favour. Squiggle is currently estimating us to win 82-80 (and wouldn’t that be unrelaxing!).

Form …

We have been up and down WWLWW and seem to be settling into a good final’s group without too many crucial injuries but a lot of fans (ok Bigfooty Board) have concerns over our ability to deliver when the pressure of finals comes on. Yes this is not a final but there is a lot on the line for both sides so I expect the intensity to be right up there especially with a week off after). It is good to see that Cam and Eric seem to be getting their confidence back in their bodies at the right time of the year.

They have been WLWLW (so due for an L ;) ) and their aura of invincibility has become somewhat tarnished as other teams have worked out how to blunt their strengths. Hopefully we have been paying attention and will do a Lions-flavoured version of whatever Demon-slaying option is available with our personnel.

Result …

In a world where good always triumphs and evil never prospers we would of course be the victors ... but we do not live in that world and the one we do live in includes umpires, media, commentators, the AFL governing body, the MRO, the Tribunal and other representatives of partial evil (only the 8th circle of hell not the 9th).

I am going for Lions by 30 in the best four quarter display we have seen all year full of individual brilliance, team defense, desperation, focus, accuracy, no injuries, and a huge fillip for the finals series (that is re the Lions not the Demons btw).

GO LIONS :D

awesome preview

theyve definitely had the wood over us recently, our last 3 matches against them stick out to me as some of the more painful ones in the fagan era. the home and away losses sucked in particular where we looked a million bucks and then wilted in both

BUT none of those were at the gabba. i reckon we're up for it

Great preview!

Feel like we'll get the Dees this week. Wouldn't be confident against them at the G, but equally we beat them this week and they'll have to go the very long way to the GF. Meanwhile, I'd back us against Sydney week one - home or away.

Feels like we are just building nicely, I like the intensity that we have finally started playing with.
The game against the Sts was a great pre-cursor to the intensity required for Friday night and subsequently finals.
Just need a full 4 quarter effort with no dropoffs in concentration levels and we will be right there at the end of the game.

This game's an even money bet. We might win, we might lose. Predictions are just guesses.

The key roles for us are Matho trying to quell Oliver ,which would've been laughed at a few weeks ago. And limiting any high balls coming into our forward half where May ,Lever and Gawn will be waiting.

Their M/F is more seasoned, stronger and frankly just better than us ,run harder for longer. They haven't been in A1 form for a few weeks. So it will be a team first effort around the stoppages by the whole team where we have some kamikaze pilots who give their all like Starcevich, Ah Chee , Answerth and Berry.

Melbourne's forward line isn't anything flash and if we can pressure any supply coming in our back half is up to killing the contest.

They were starting to look a bit tired against Carlton at times. If the whole team adopts a pressure/tackle/harrass attitude whatever from the start and maintains it we're in with a good chance.

Lions won’t lose another game in 2023.
Said this to a mate, who laughed at me, before round 20. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We lost round 20 😐

We get four quarter’s worth of the good football we’ve played in the last month, we win and win easily.

No, we need to bomb to the goalsquare. We've got a 202 cm full forward......a 203 cm forward.......a 195 forward.

they've got a 197cm defender....a 193 defender and a 195 defender.

tactics are, get it, kick long to the goalsquare where our forwards will monster their undersized backs. Charlie, Linc, and rat feed on their remains.

Joe to kick 8, Hippy 4, Dan 3, Linc 3.

lions by 40

Players such as Fritsch, Pickett and Meklnsham concern me match wise. I think Andrews should have Brown measure, but those three I mentioned give me headaches as does Petracca going forward.

Hopefully our mids learn from last time we met by not putting putting it up high for the likes of Lever and May to have a field day. Joe should do what he did against Weitering and drag May / Lever to places they don't want to be and give the likes of Cam, Linc, Charlie room to do there thing.

Do people think Robinson comes in if available?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t have thought so, thinking he is definitely behind Ah Chee and potentially being Prior as well at this stage.

Prior for me.

That young boy has something.

I really believe he's a big match player.

Pick him Fages.....you know you want to.

No, we need to bomb to the goalsquare. We've got a 202 cm full forward......a 203 cm forward.......a 195 forward.

tactics are, get it, kick long to the goalsquare where our forwards will monster their undersized backs. Charlie, Linc, and rat feed on their remains.

lions by 40
Love to see this instead of bombing high to the tip of the arc which is our current strategy

lions by 40
This is the worst thing you can do against the Dees. They set up very well behind the ball and more often than not intercept the footy and hurt on the rebound. Need to lower the eyes or move the ball quickly to get through their zone. Long to a contest is just playing into their hands.

lions by 40
And then he woke up!

Not confident at all. Whether it is AFL or NRL, for some reason any time a team named Brisbane plays a team named Melbourne, they go to mud. It’s all mental. We can definitely best them but I’m not sure the team actually believes it and that’s a massive issue.

Not confident at all. Whether it is AFL or NRL, for some reason any time a team named Brisbane plays a team named Melbourne, they go to mud. It’s all mental. We can definitely best them but I’m not sure the team actually believes it and that’s a massive issue.
The club, players & coach would have zero knowledge of this nor would they think they "go to mud". They are totally excited about the next 6 week of footy and believe 100% they can beat anyone in the competition including Melbourne.

The club, players & coach would have zero knowledge of this nor would they think they "go to mud". They are totally excited about the next 6 week of footy and believe 100% they can beat anyone in the competition including Melbourne.

Can Eric kick one from 60m for me mighty Lions? I asked a few weeks ago and he still hasn't. If you could pass it on that would be great.

I just want it to be 2017 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back