Autopsy Round 3 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday 7th April 2018, SCG, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

When we lose 16 7 to 12 15 theres no one to blame but ourselves. Very wasteful.

Yes the umps should be all lined up but we were horrid with our kicking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
My controversial opinion... We weren't that horrible from our shots on goal. Full credit to Sydney for forcing us in to low percentage snaps because of their pressure. It's not like a high percentage of our shots should have gone in given where and how we were taking them. When we had a decent shot we generally got it, Tim excepted.

Given
Wonder if Tobes would of made the difference.

between them HH and Reid did three fifths of bugger all and we only lost by 4 goels I'd say for sure.
Our disposals were paniced and horrid but our wasteful forward entries were the real killer

Got to say Match Commitee probably erred a little with selection for this game.

We lose Langdon and Scully, two quick midfielders and replace them with Hopper and Perryman, two one paced players.

With guys like Tomlinson and Patton also in the 22 it left us looking a little too tall and too slow. On the SCG that is a bit of a bad recipe.

On the positive side we were still in the contest for a long time. Despite poor decision making throughout the night they didn’t finish us off until late in the game with some Buddy brilliance. Thought Lids tried really hard and looks more mobile.

Negatives, Shiel still hack kicks under pressure, we are no presence in the ruck, Cameron was pretty poor despite the goals, Lobb looks like he will miss a few.

I think this last off season we did address speed to a degree but it’s still evident we are too tall and not mobile enough. We desperately need to find another ruckman and one of the tall forwards needs to be dropped.

Not the end of the world but a disappointing night.

My controversial opinion... We weren't that horrible from our shots on goal. Full credit to Sydney for forcing us in to low percentage snaps because of their pressure. It's not like a high percentage of our shots should have gone in given where and how we were taking them. When we had a decent shot we generally got it, Tim excepted.

We had allot of set shots get waved away though and some (again) sillyness in front of goal.

Not overly upset by that. We were nowhere near our best and were well in the game. Agree we looked a bit slow, which means other teams will make us look really bad if we dont fix it. Our normal stars in Whitfeild, sheil & kelly were all well down. Patton did a good job in ruck but will not be the answer if Lobb misses.

Plenty to like Though & plenty to learn from. Just move onto next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s interesting it seems the bloke most affected by Toby’s absence has been Kelly. He has been a bit listless the last few weeks and I think has suffered.

I still think Leon has not found team balance. Too many talls, too many one paced players, not enough continuity.

I think we play our best footy with the smaller line line up. Our problem is we can get away with it with a lot of opposition but against really good teams we look a bit cumbersome.

Would also like to see Taranto in the guts a bit more, he is not quick but is like an old diesel truck that has running power at the end of games. He is wasted in the forwards and we need a runner with Scully out.

I reckon the time is nigh to try something a bit different. Mobility is key in the modern game.

Griffen building in the 2’s. Won’t be long before Shipley gets a game either... he was very good today.. 25 touches, 13 tackles and a goal. Once he gets in the side I think he’ll be in there for a while.

It was probably a better performance than I expected. To have a half fit Lobb from early on stretched us as he was looking good early, Patton did his best but he is not a ruckman and at some point during the season this was likely to happen. At least now the ruck set up can get figured out before it costs us more.

Delivery to the forwards was awful. Expecting them to just plunk it when virtually every kick inside the fwd 50 was bombed high is just silly.
For me it was constantly bombing it to Lobb with limited mobility. I guess the plan was he would bring it to ground floor for the crumbers if he didn't mark it. Very predictable though, we failed to present multiple threats without Toby in my view.

Perryman looked like a lost puppy tonight but when he played in the midfield at the end he used the ball quite well. He’s still very light and needs a few more off seasons before he reaches his best.

Shipley looked good in the pre season games, as did Bonar.

OK, disappointing result, but only 16 points for all the poorness of our display. Definitely missing Toby. Apart from the very occasional game (think Carlton last year), he fixes a lot of our forward problems. He's a good marking target, so when Jezza comes down field, he looks for Tobes. And Tobes can deliver it to Jezza's advantage more than the others.

The 'good' was that we actually won clearances, contested ball, and tackles, and had more inside 50s. Where we were poor was in handing over the ball through lack of composure - that's more difficult to solve. Toby coming back will help with our poor use of I50s - noting that in past years we've actually been good for use of I50s but when we have poor games we do tend to lose. Moving Patton into the ruck with Lobb's injury was actually good for the General - he got plenty of ball and tackled well.

There were comments before the game that we should be able to deal with the loss of Greene, Scully, Williams and Langdon. But as we saw tonight, that makes our bottom 6 players poor - e.g. Reid, Perryman, HH - and it has also hurt the balance of the side. However, there were more poor players than just those, and I thought that Kelly, Shiel, Taranto, ToJ & Jezza were all below par. OTOH MdB played very well, and has become an important utility for us. Deledio is getting better. I thought the defensive unit was also down as a whole. Yes some of them got plenty of ball (Haynes) and Buddy was goalless by Davis until late in the game, but I thought Davis let him run around in midfield too easily, and he set up a lot of other goals. Otherwise, we allowed too many uncontested marks in their F50 while having to scrap for every ball in our F50, which is poor from the defenders and the mids running back.

The forward line setup up that I'd be keen to see would be General, Jezza, Bonar, Greene, Langdon or Daniels & MdB. Mix of speed, defence, tackling ability & goal kicking power. Of course, that won't be next game with injuries to some of those.

So, what do we do for the Fremantle game? If Lobb's injury forces him out, I can only see that Simpson comes in, but he's a little immobile so will present a continuing problem for us. Those in the spotlight need to be Reid & HH in particular. Perryman probably as well - as others have said, we were a bit too one-paced around the ground. Bonar looked good playing mainly midfield in 2s, but throwing him into the forward line for his tackling and speed and ball-winning capacity seems worthwhile - perhaps in place of HH. Cumming an option for defence, to add speed. Shipley an option for a wing position, which I'm not sure worked that well for us tonight (Kelly & Tommo a lot of the time), although I honestly expect he needs a bit longer to develop. The forward line another option for him as well for similar reasons as Bonar. Also, I'm sure we won't debut 3 players next week!

I would go:
OUTs - Lobb (if injured), HH, Reid, Perryman
INs - Simpson, Bonar, Greene, Cumming

Lloyd Patton MdB
Bonar Cameron Greene
Simpson
Coniglio Shiel
Kelly Ward Tomlinson
Haynes Finlayson Whitfield
Shaw Davis Corr
Deledio Hopper Taranto Cumming

OK, disappointing result, but only 16 points for all the poorness of our display. Definitely missing Toby. Apart from the very occasional game (think Carlton last year), he fixes a lot of our forward problems. He's a good marking target, so when Jezza comes down field, he looks for Tobes. And Tobes can deliver it to Jezza's advantage more than the others.

The 'good' was that we actually won clearances, contested ball, and tackles, and had more inside 50s. Where we were poor was in handing over the ball through lack of composure - that's more difficult to solve. Toby coming back will help with our poor use of I50s - noting that in past years we've actually been good for use of I50s but when we have poor games we do tend to lose. Moving Patton into the ruck with Lobb's injury was actually good for the General - he got plenty of ball and tackled well.

There were comments before the game that we should be able to deal with the loss of Greene, Scully, Williams and Langdon. But as we saw tonight, that makes our bottom 6 players poor - e.g. Reid, Perryman, HH - and it has also hurt the balance of the side. However, there were more poor players than just those, and I thought that Kelly, Shiel, Taranto, ToJ & Jezza were all below par. OTOH MdB played very well, and has become an important utility for us. Deledio is getting better. I thought the defensive unit was also down as a whole. Yes some of them got plenty of ball (Haynes) and Buddy was goalless by Davis until late in the game, but I thought Davis let him run around in midfield too easily, and he set up a lot of other goals. Otherwise, we allowed too many uncontested marks in their F50 while having to scrap for every ball in our F50, which is poor from the defenders and the mids running back.

The forward line setup up that I'd be keen to see would be General, Jezza, Bonar, Greene, Langdon or Daniels & MdB. Mix of speed, defence, tackling ability & goal kicking power. Of course, that won't be next game with injuries to some of those.

So, what do we do for the Fremantle game? If Lobb's injury forces him out, I can only see that Simpson comes in, but he's a little immobile so will present a continuing problem for us. Those in the spotlight need to be Reid & HH in particular. Perryman probably as well - as others have said, we were a bit too one-paced around the ground. Bonar looked good playing mainly midfield in 2s, but throwing him into the forward line for his tackling and speed and ball-winning capacity seems worthwhile - perhaps in place of HH. Cumming an option for defence, to add speed. Shipley an option for a wing position, which I'm not sure worked that well for us tonight (Kelly & Tommo a lot of the time), although I honestly expect he needs a bit longer to develop. The forward line another option for him as well for similar reasons as Bonar. Also, I'm sure we won't debut 3 players next week!

I would go:

Lloyd Patton MdB
Bonar Cameron Greene
Simpson
Coniglio Shiel
Kelly Ward Tomlinson
Shaw Davis Corr
Personally I think dropping Himmelburg would be an overreaction after a couple of quiet games. The coaches would know better if he's physlcally right, and training well though. He offers so much defensively and balances our forward line. I just don't get he's a marginal player.

I think Freo have good reason to be a bit nervous about meeting us at Manuka after that. It's still a better start to the season than we've had since 2015. It's about accumulating points at stage of the season, as always the flag will be won by the team that lifts in September, and I dont know who hat will be.

We're not in a development year, but if Bonar and Shipley are seen as in our best 22 by the end of the year, there's a good case for getting them in early and giving them a chance to settle well before then.

MDB was bloody fantastic and has been for a long time now. He has a terrific temperament. Also thought we tackled well.

I think we really need to play smaller grounds like Sydney with smaller line ups and bigger grounds with the talls.

It’s no co-incidence Tommo plays his best footy at the G and gets found out a bit when it’s crowded.

When we play a fast brand of footy our skills shine through and with new defensive pressure emphasis makes us a very difficult proposition!

I really think we should try to see if Taranto can cope with more guts work. A few times in games I’ve really seen him start to come to the fore when fatigue sets in, his hands are sublime and he is wasted parked in the forwards. Hard to please all the players but he could be a difference maker.

I would go:

Lloyd Patton MdB
Bonar Cameron Greene
Simpson
Coniglio Shiel
Kelly Ward Tomlinson
Shaw Davis Corr
Great Summary and I agree with most.
I dont think HH should be given up on just yet.
Is Simpson the obvious replacement for an injured Lobb? where is Keeffe at?
I dont think Reid should be in the Team at all unless there are no other options which with Bonar, Cumming Perryman, Shipley there currently are plus Of the injured guys Langdon, kennedy, Buntine & even Griff when they come back I would have ahead of him.
Greene is an auto in when he comes up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back