Review Round 3, 2018 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I rarely post in this forum but read every post, your right this is mostly a negative forum and players are regularly torn to pieces unfairly. No player would ever want to spend time on here, it has come to the point as soon as someone has a good game it's suggested they are traded. I've been reading for a couple of years and the aggression poster have towards each other is the most disappointing aspect. I'm sure we all value the forum because we love the Lions and want to talk about them. Yes we all have some dumb ideas and views at times but I'd rather everyone feel comfortable to suggest whatever rather than not because they feel they will be attacked.

Writing opinions in short posts is difficult to always get the meaning you intended across, especially if you are running hot with an idea or emotion. That goes for original posts and replies. I know I’ve expressed things poorly at different times.

It’d be great if we all read posts and gave the poster some slack. And maybe ignored the posters name before we reply.

There was a big difference for me in the two games vs Melb and then Port. There was an opportunity to win both games and as we know we lost both as well. However, against Melbourne when we were making our come back I had a feeling that we would stuff it up somehow with our perennial ability to turn the ball over and for the opposition to score from this. In the last quarter against Melbourne (and I could be a bit hazy/few sheets) we turned the ball over with a haphazard entry into our forward 50 and they scored and it took the wind out of our sails. But I personally wasn't shocked a second it was a feeling that I had. However when we were playing against Port I was absolutely blown away by the calmness and deliberate ball movement we showed in the last 4 minutes. We had the ball in our defensive 50 and we were patient enough to move the ball around before finding an opening to transition it into our forward 50. This deliberate ball movement for me personally was the biggest thing that I took out of the game.

Has any team ever scored over 90 points in a quarter?
1, believe he meant three-quarter time, and 2, yes, only twice in the history of the AFL/VFL, first being South Melbourne in 1919 with 106 points and the only other example being Essendon against the Gold Coast in 2011 with 94 points.

There was a big difference for me in the two games vs Melb and then Port. There was an opportunity to win both games and as we know we lost both as well. However, against Melbourne when we were making our come back I had a feeling that we would stuff it up somehow with our perennial ability to turn the ball over and for the opposition to score from this. In the last quarter against Melbourne (and I could be a bit hazy/few sheets) we turned the ball over with a haphazard entry into our forward 50 and they scored and it took the wind out of our sails. But I personally wasn't shocked a second it was a feeling that I had. However when we were playing against Port I was absolutely blown away by the calmness and deliberate ball movement we showed in the last 4 minutes. We had the ball in our defensive 50 and we were patient enough to move the ball around before finding an opening to transition it into our forward 50. This deliberate ball movement for me personally was the biggest thing that I took out of the game.
Hodge had a huge impact on this. Reason why the hawks are elite in clutch moments.

Polec was pretty damn good. Probably gets the three Brownlow votes too.

I have just finished replaying the game. Polec had about 2 possies that were not pure seagull. 10 metres clear of anyone, fed by a team mate. 70% of his disposals were the same. 2/3 of his game was just a link in a chain. Most over rated effort I have seen in a long time.

That said, there were 4 voters in our own poll that did not have Stef in our top 5. Go figure.

I have just finished replaying the game. Polec had about 2 possies that were not pure seagull. 10 metres clear of anyone, fed by a team mate. 70% of his disposals were the same. 2/3 of his game was just a link in a chain. Most over rated effort I have seen in a long time.

That said, there were 4 voters in our own poll that did not have Stef in our top 5. Go figure.
Who was playing on Polec? Was it Cutler on the wing....didn't see the game

You all looked as a well-coached team on Saturday. Your players seemed to trust the gameplan and never lost composure, not even during Q3. The Lions seems to be on the right track and merely some pieces away from being competitive again.

Good luck!

Watched the game a few times now. He wasn't BOG but I recon that was Gardiners best game for as long as I can remember. Seems to be more trust building in the backline (thanks Hodgey!).

Also worth noting this was pretty much his first uninterrupted preseason.

Back