Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, unless something else comes out we are going to have to ride out the news cycle until gather round and then it’ll be gone.

Edmunds obviously been fed some stuff from the club but does make the obvious point that McClure was drawing a very long bow.

Way to kill it Sammy.
Damn, here I'm starting my bottom 4 truck and hurling myself towards that No.1 pick and you made it all go pear shaped !

Only if we win.

Aussie Rules Football GIF by NMFCOfficial

It’s going to be a bloodbath

I don’t think it is ok and entirely possible that there are issues in the group with it - what I object to is reporting on it at all.

It’s not just the players privacy here, it is their partners/ex partners implicated too - as well as the guys who didn’t do anything wrong but might be assumed to have done something because the media will just speculate but won’t name anyone.
100%...but here's the thing.

For years Brisbane has rabbited on about culture under Fagan, and it being a family club and all the boys spend time together and are one big happy group.

True or not, that reputation is gone... And you can't blame the media.

If you make yourself a target we have to expect to be taken aim at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't remember our Kulcha being questioned in the media since Beamsy.

Geez Fages has had a rough week or two.

He's going to be throwing daggers at anyone who pops up with this at the next PC.

My take was that we put it out there to say the disunity thing is BS.

But the media described it as a 'crisis meeting'

Was it even a “CRISIS MEETING”? Would the club not be having a meeting with the leadership group the day after a big game that left us 0-3 off the back of a grand final appearance?

I know it’s being reported as that by certain hack journalists, but to be honest rumours or not I’d expect the club to be having internal meetings trying to get the season back on track.

Was it even a “CRISIS MEETING”? Would the club not be having a meeting with the leadership group the day after a big game that left us 0-3 off the back of a grand final appearance?

I know it’s being reported as that by certain hack journalists, but to be honest rumours or not I’d expect the club to be having internal meetings trying to get the season back on track.

If a rumour pops up by a person of note (lack of a better word for a gutter journalist), every leadership group in any company worth its salt would meet to discuss.

100%...but here's the thing.

For years Brisbane has rabbited on about culture under Fagan, and it being a family club and all the boys spend time together and are one big happy group.

True or not, that reputation is gone... And you can't blame the media.

If you make yourself a target we have to expect to be taken aim at.

"A regime that wraps itself in the flag of truth fears truth most of all, for if its story is falsified to the slightest degree, its authority is gone" (Orson Scott Card)

When you do something 'wrong' but don't have it as an internal 'wrong' ... eg you know your lady isn't into sharing and would be hurt if she found out you were with another woman but you think it is fine, not really cheating (it is just your body not your heart), they know what you are like (you met them the same way maybe), and something that 'everybody does', a victimless crime (sleeping with a groupie <> deflowering your friends virgin sister), and a perk of the job etc ... and things go pear shaped, the lady finds out and you are either in dumped-city or you are dealing with an extremely rocky period in your relationship while she works through how she can ever trust you again / what other lies have you told / what else have you been up to / who else have you slept with etc then you tend not to blame yourself for having a zipper problem or accept that you did something wrong or you were at fault ... you blame the circumstances that led to that situation (eg the player that left the link connected, the people who organised the trip, whoever it was that you 'wen't along with' at the time, the WAG that chose to share the story with the other girls etc.

Also when you are being haunted by replays of the words the one you thought you loved spoke in pain and grief and what kind of a reception you will get when you get home it can certainly get in the way of laser like focus on the here and now of a football game.

There doesn't have to be a 'rift' in the playing group per se (though such is not out of the question) for things like this to affect the playing group as a whole.

Dayne Zorko and lachie Neale were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me!

"A regime that wraps itself in the flag of truth fears truth most of all, for if its story is falsified to the slightest degree, its authority is gone" (Orson Scott Card)

When you do something 'wrong' but don't have it as an internal 'wrong' ... eg you know your lady isn't into sharing and would be hurt if she found out you were with another woman but you think it is fine, not really cheating (it is just your body not your heart), they know what you are like (you met them the same way maybe), and something that 'everybody does', a victimless crime (sleeping with a groupie <> deflowering your friends virgin sister), and a perk of the job etc ... and things go pear shaped, the lady finds out and you are either in dumped-city or you are dealing with an extremely rocky period in your relationship while she works through how she can ever trust you again / what other lies have you told / what else have you been up to / who else have you slept with etc then you tend not to blame yourself for having a zipper problem or accept that you did something wrong or you were at fault ... you blame the circumstances that led to that situation (eg the player that left the link connected, the people who organised the trip, whoever it was that you 'wen't along with' at the time, the WAG that chose to share the story with the other girls etc.

Also when you are being haunted by replays of the words the one you thought you loved spoke in pain and grief and what kind of a reception you will get when you get home it can certainly get in the way of laser like focus on the here and now of a football game.

There doesn't have to be a 'rift' in the playing group per se (though such is not out of the question) for things like this to affect the playing group as a whole.

Quoting Orson Scott Card ❤️❤️

Everything you said after that, I agree with 100% just cause you quoted Card.

That man can write emotions and humanity. Could do a great article on the current situation.

Bit late to the party , went away Friday for the weekend.
It was dissapointing to say the least. the game that is, and I was there.
Just not enough run.
praise for Ah Chee , thought he gave us some good lateral run from center out to the boundary, running out wide to receive.
Kind of went quiet , was there a position change?
Rayner did some good things forward of center in the second and thoughout the game.
After the third quarter I kind of zoned out , could see what was coming.

Everything else has been said, although the bit that has me turning away from AFL is the gut punch, open fist on Lochie.
Did Pendles get away with that, am I right.
Why?
Cause it was an open fist? Or is it just a Collingwood player , and a champion at that.
Talk about favourtism, that is a joke if so.
We have had players out for at least a week for less than that.
Absolutely bulldust , .
Just wait , there will be a focus on it now, and the umps will be right on it.
Disgrace.
I had a mate join up for 3 game this year been a going to a few games every year, but is a NRL cowboys supporter mostly.
Also came away camping with us.
Asked him his view on our problems.
He said , too much kicking up the field only losing possession.
Pretty simple really.
Story of our team.
Too many times players are ignored on the lead only to blaze away to a contest, same ol' shite.

Fagan has to reset us.
He said he has recognized we needed more run and hanball, there was sfa in this game.
Then there is players like turnstyle Bailey, just can't comprhend how this guy is so disinterested in getting better at defending.
Some players get such a kick at pullin a great tackle off, KIddy. Mitch Robbo, Rayner, but Bailey , arhh, not interested.
Hopeless.
Piss these guys off, sick of them.
Should never be given a game unless he can fix it or change his attitude.
I blame Fagan 100% for this 100%.

We have runners in our side , but we don't want to use the spread or run , still playing territory footy, so dumb.
Again Fagan has to make this happen , reset the running game , if he can't we are cooked and another year wasted and he has to go.

Effort was s**t. What do you mean it was decent?
I'm a bit with Lionheart182 on this. I thought Thursday's game was as close as we've had to a 4 quarter effort for the season. Don't get me wrong, the performance was terrible, but the effort I thought was much better and more consistent quarter to quarter.

I mean, Joe Daniher laid a tackle. We smothered a set shot at goal late in the last quarter with the game basically gone. These are little things worth celebrating because right now they are about all we can hang our hat on.

Unfortunately on Thursday night we saw a side almost completely devoid of confidence, both in themselves and their team mates. This happens when you lose trust in what they are going to do, ie we become unpredictable to each other. This started in the second quarter of the Carlton game.

Ultimately, to regain that trust and confidence, we need to strip our game plan right back to the basics, the fundamentals, if you will. Yes, it does mean we have basically wasted 3 weeks of our season. We should be at the point now where we are able to focus on things like how we move the ball from one end of the field to the other in Coleman's absence, particularly inside 50. But instead we need to go right back to square 1, and get the basics right.

Obviously the dropped marks were to me a sign of a few blokes lacking confidence, but what really stood out to me was the amount of times we handballed to nobody in and around a contested ball situation. When we are up and about this is all pretty automatic, and I remember this "washing machine" drill used to be a staple of our training which would often appear on our social media pages.

(By the way this washing machine drill is where you have 4 or 5 blokes all inside a very confined space and it's basically a fast game of keepings off against 2 or 3 defenders)

I have no idea if this drill is still performed at training, but the game has largely moved past this. Our contested ball work often sees one or more handball backwards to a team mate who ideally has the time and space to make a good decision with the ball. Those handballs missed their target (if there was even a target there to begin with) countless times on Thursday night, and it gifted Collingwood's players at the contest all forward momentum. These were all pretty clear signs of players not knowing what their team mates were going to do, and to me it all comes back to trust and confidence. This can't be fixed by flicking a switch.

This backwards handball is a remnant of the old Essendon 2000 model, as well as the Bulldogs' 2016 flag, and the game has largely moved past this. This handball now really only serves to refer pressure from the disposer to the recipient, ie giving the problem to somebody else.

Instead the best teams, in fact many teams, are now embracing contact, accepting the tackle (if they can't break through it), then getting their arms free, and disposing effectively, either laterally or forward. This gives an attack a greater opportunity of bypassing the first line of defence, potentially creating a favourable outnumber further afield.

Unfortunately it seems to me that our players lack the conditioning to fully embrace this style of play in contested ball situations. We lack the size and strength to adequately absorb contact and still distribute effectively. (This also inhibits the effectiveness of our tackling) We also seem to lack the fitness to spread effectively away from those contested ball situations, either in attack or defence. These are not circumstances which are easily addressed mid-season however.

Going forward I simply want to see if we can improve the effectiveness of our tackling, and if we can improve the confidence of our key forwards by making sure they realise they won't have a team mate flying over the top interfering with their attempts to mark. Having an opponent hanging off you is enough to deal with, without also having to cope with your own team mates trying to take the ball off you. And if this also means that our non-marking forwards can get to the right place at the right time, ie at the front of the marking contest, that will be another step forward.

We've dug a bit of a hole for ourselves, largely of our own doing, and there's no way easy way back. So as supporters we need to disregard preseason expectations, not to mention the scoreboard, and take the small improvements as/if we see them.

I'm a bit with Lionheart182 on this. I thought Thursday's game was as close as we've had to a 4 quarter effort for the season. Don't get me wrong, the performance was terrible, but the effort I thought was much better and more consistent quarter to quarter.

I mean, Joe Daniher laid a tackle. We smothered a set shot at goal late in the last quarter with the game basically gone. These are little things worth celebrating because right now they are about all we can hang our hat on.

Unfortunately on Thursday night we saw a side almost completely devoid of confidence, both in themselves and their team mates. This happens when you lose trust in what they are going to do, ie we become unpredictable to each other. This started in the second quarter of the Carlton game.

Ultimately, to regain that trust and confidence, we need to strip our game plan right back to the basics, the fundamentals, if you will. Yes, it does mean we have basically wasted 3 weeks of our season. We should be at the point now where we are able to focus on things like how we move the ball from one end of the field to the other in Coleman's absence, particularly inside 50. But instead we need to go right back to square 1, and get the basics right.

Obviously the dropped marks were to me a sign of a few blokes lacking confidence, but what really stood out to me was the amount of times we handballed to nobody in and around a contested ball situation. When we are up and about this is all pretty automatic, and I remember this "washing machine" drill used to be a staple of our training which would often appear on our social media pages.

(By the way this washing machine drill is where you have 4 or 5 blokes all inside a very confined space and it's basically a fast game of keepings off against 2 or 3 defenders)

I have no idea if this drill is still performed at training, but the game has largely moved past this. Our contested ball work often sees one or more handball backwards to a team mate who ideally has the time and space to make a good decision with the ball. Those handballs missed their target (if there was even a target there to begin with) countless times on Thursday night, and it gifted Collingwood's players at the contest all forward momentum. These were all pretty clear signs of players not knowing what their team mates were going to do, and to me it all comes back to trust and confidence. This can't be fixed by flicking a switch.

This backwards handball is a remnant of the old Essendon 2000 model, as well as the Bulldogs' 2016 flag, and the game has largely moved past this. This handball now really only serves to refer pressure from the disposer to the recipient, ie giving the problem to somebody else.

Instead the best teams, in fact many teams, are now embracing contact, accepting the tackle (if they can't break through it), then getting their arms free, and disposing effectively, either laterally or forward. This gives an attack a greater opportunity of bypassing the first line of defence, potentially creating a favourable outnumber further afield.

Unfortunately it seems to me that our players lack the conditioning to fully embrace this style of play in contested ball situations. We lack the size and strength to adequately absorb contact and still distribute effectively. (This also inhibits the effectiveness of our tackling) We also seem to lack the fitness to spread effectively away from those contested ball situations, either in attack or defence. These are not circumstances which are easily addressed mid-season however.

Going forward I simply want to see if we can improve the effectiveness of our tackling, and if we can improve the confidence of our key forwards by making sure they realise they won't have a team mate flying over the top interfering with their attempts to mark. Having an opponent hanging off you is enough to deal with, without also having to cope with your own team mates trying to take the ball off you. And if this also means that our non-marking forwards can get to the right place at the right time, ie at the front of the marking contest, that will be another step forward.

We've dug a bit of a hole for ourselves, largely of our own doing, and there's no way easy way back. So as supporters we need to disregard preseason expectations, not to mention the scoreboard, and take the small improvements as/if we see them.
The washing machine drill sounds like our game day tbh.
One or two many handballs in the congested area, when the third guy in the chain was free to execute a kick or a handball away from congestion , only to give it back to someone in a hot seat.
The type of handballs we need more in our game ,are to players wrapping around and then have a player run with them for another relay if a kick is not on, we don't work hard enough for this system, ala Richmond running style.
I know you are trying to be possitive but , spread and run from a contest whether in defense or attack should not have to be worked on 3 games in, it has been a problem for years and not fixed.
We lack movement and run to provide and make space, it just doesn't seem to be in our dna anymore , not enough wing space used.
Ah Chee the only player I have noted doing a sprint out to the boundary to present, was a great effort.
3 games in , I just don't see Chris Fagan changing his gameplan too much.
It will just be blamed on drop marks , missed goals.
Ok , we might of got at least one or two wins under us , but our system is still not up to the great teams of late.
We should be humming like a sewing machine when we move the ball, or spread in defence.
As Loyd said with Barrett , we are individual based not system based.
So little wonder second tier players are struggling to do their role when injected into the team.

Mate, you are wasted on BigFooty.

You should be making a living from your analysis.

Back