Preview Round 4, 2018: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Sunday 15th April, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What I would like to see

Geary - Goddard - Roberton
Coffield - Carlisle - White
Sinclair - Steele - Phillips
Billings - Marshall - Acres
Long - Battle - Lonie

Hickey - Ross - Steven

Hunter - Webster - Savage - Dunstan

Would put McCartin at Full forward but needs to play 2nds to get form - same goes with Gresham

Last edited:
One is harder to admit we might have got it wrong. Lonie has had good games and bad games like every young player. He might be a bust or he might come good. Billings and Seb both copped the same thing around the same age and came good. He seems to cop it worse than most of our players and I don't really understand why the sensitive ones who crack it when others are criticised don't seem to see anything wrong with potting him.

He looks like he had a better than average game and deserves a spot, especially with Billings and Gresh off their tucker and Wright not exactly stamping himself on that spot. He is usually one of the best when he plays VFL and looks much more likely than lots of the others who regularly get big stat numbers.

Just interesting how perception is arrived upon. He seems to attract a cognitive bias where all his mistakes are magnified and analysed. To me if he ears a game he earns a game. The only way to tell if he's going to make it is to play him.

His good is good but his bad can stand out. Like for example in the VFL on Saturday he laid a full frontal smashing tackle which I think led to the fight on the wing, it was brilliant stuff. But around the same time took a mark at center half forward with players streaming forward into an open forward line, he got confused with maybe playing on, didn't commit to anything, and got done with a pretty embarrassing holding the ball.

VFL: Steele and Clark shine
Justin Cooper April 8, 2018 7:00 PM

563953-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Several Saints impressed for Sandringham in their Round 1 fixture at Trevor Barker Oval on Saturday, headlined by ruckman Tom Hickey and inside midfielder Jack Steele.

In what was Aaron Hamill’s first official game as coach of the Zebras, Hickey finished with 16 disposals and battled strongly as the sole ruckman pitted against AFL-listed Bulldogs’ Tom Campbell and Tom Boyd.

Steele, left out of Alan Richardson’s AFL side this week, gathered 41 disposals in a standout display.

His strength at the contest allowed the outside runners in draftee Hunter Clark (28 disposals) and Ed Phillips (31 disposals) to power the Zebras to a 13-point win.

With Josh Battle (three goals) providing a target up forward, livewire Jack Lonie was able to hit the scoreboard with four majors of his own.

After conceding six goals in the opening term, St Kilda veteran Sam Gilbert led the resurgence with his attack on the ball the catalyst for a much-improved second half.

The standout Saints

With a number of Saints performing well in Sandringham colours on Saturday, senior coach Alan Richardson will have plenty to ponder before the round four clash against Geelong next Sunday.

Gilbert was named the Zebras best after sitting out last weekend’s VFL practice match as the carry-over emergecy.

It was Koby Stevens who played that role this week, with the hard-nut also stalking a return to the seniors.

Steele was dominant in the centre, the 22-year-old amassing 13 clearances and 11 tackles as he staked his claim for an immediate return to the senior side.

The tough inside midfielder, and the hard running Ed Phillips, were the main beneficiaries of the work of Tom Hickey, who gave his on-ballers first use out of the middle.

Young forward Josh Battle continues to press for senior selection after six shots on goal for the Zebras, while Hunter Clark and Jack Lonie looked a class above throughout.

Next week

Sandringham travels down the highway to face Geelong in a curtain raiser to the Saints clash with the Cats at GMHBA Stadium.

Gilbert plays I would think along with Steele , Hickey , Lonie.
I would love to see Battle , Phillips and Hunter into the team however I can't see them making more than 4 changes.
So the 4 out Wright , Armitage , McCartin or Bruce , Gresham

Is it just me or is Geelong one of the only teams where the majority of their adult supporters wear football Guernseys to games? Not having a dig at those that do, just an observation. Is it a rural/country thing?
It's quite hard to pull this off in a city… unless you are Prince or a member of KISS.
592779dbaee3f_630x354_1858267.png

Watched the emerging stars video saints put up on the website from Sandy’s game. Clark is something else. Honestly looks just as comfortable, if not more, on his left foot. That’s a massive weapon to have. Add that to his evasiveness and clean hands in traffic he’s gonna be a star. I know he looked out of his depth in round 2 but didn’t everyone? I’m keen to pump as many games into him and coffield as we can. That being said

Out:
Armitage
Wright
Newnes

In:
Steele
Battle
Clark

B: geary Brown Roberton
Hb: savage Carlisle white
C: Sinclair Steele Ross
Hf: Billings Bruce long
F: Gresham McCartin battle
Foll: Marshall acres Steven
Int: webster coffield dunstan Clark

Roberton, Billings, long, McCartin, Bruce, Gresham, Webster on notice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The exciting thing about the first 3 rounds

We have a multi purpose big man who can ruck or play as a key position player - Marshall
Acres has stepped up
Coffield looks like a future star
Hunter has shown enough to say he is going to be a ripper

To add to this we know Sinclair , Billings , Gresham , Steele , Dunstan have the ability to become very good players even though there form is off.

Also Goddard , Phillips , Long are showing good signs

Paton could be a ripper as well

Watched the emerging stars video saints put up on the website from Sandy’s game. Clark is something else. Honestly looks just as comfortable, if not more, on his left foot. That’s a massive weapon to have. Add that to his evasiveness and clean hands in traffic he’s gonna be a star. I know he looked out of his depth in round 2 but didn’t everyone? I’m keen to pump as many games into him and coffield as we can. That being said

Out:
Armitage
Wright
Newnes

In:
Steele
Battle
Clark

B: geary Brown Roberton
Hb: savage Carlisle white
C: Sinclair Steele Ross
Hf: Billings Bruce long
F: Gresham McCartin battle
Foll: Marshall acres Steven
Int: webster coffield dunstan Clark

Roberton, Billings, long, McCartin, Bruce, Gresham, Webster on notice
must agree - we can't make to many changes every week

I'd like to see Carlisle omitted for disciplinary reasons but I guess that's a bridge too far in our current setup.

Edit: It's not just for throwing up the arms and deciding he couldn't be bothered with a contest where the ball was live and on our forward 50m - after that there were at least 2 - 3 kicks from defence where, rather than even bothering to try and spot up a target he just kicked a one step blind high floating bomb forward. It was a very petulant display from one of our older and more experienced players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back