Preview Round 4, 2018: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Sunday 15th April, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
f60OsvK.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 5, 2017 - St.Kilda (13.10.88) lost to Geelong (19.12.126)
Round 14, 2016 - St.Kilda (14.9.93) defeated Geelong (13.12.90)
Round 21, 2015 - St.Kilda (14.13.97) drew with Geelong (15.7.97)

Preview

Geelong v St.Kilda

906731_thumb_326x184.jpg

From pillar to post the Saints have been belted in the media over the past fortnight - with a shocking performance in Round 2 against North Melbourne followed up by a more spirited outfit last Saturday night against the Crows that eventually fell away badly in the 2nd half, losing by 49 points. St.Kilda's last two weeks have been marred by inaccurate kicking for goal and a league worst disposal efficiency.

Geelong travelled west last week to face the Eagles and came away a sorry and sore bunch. Coupled with a devastating last quarter fade-out, Gary Ablett will miss Sunday's game against the Saints with a right hamstring injury, while Cam Guthrie suffered an ankle injury and had to be helped from the field during the second quarter after being caught in an awkward position in a tackle. He was on crutches at half-time. Nakia Cockatoo hurt a knee during the third quarter and played no further part.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Nathan J Brown, Dylan Roberton
HB: Jimmy Webster, Jake Carlisle, Shane Savage
C: Ben Long, Koby Stevens, Jack Newnes
HF: Blake Acres, Paddy McCartin, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey
FOLL: Billy Longer, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steven
INT: Jack Steele, Hunter Clark, David Armitage, Jack Sinclair

Geelong Best 22
B:
Jed Bews, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
HB: Zach Tuohy, Lachie Henderson, Jake Kolodjashnij
C: Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Sam Menegola
HF: Cam Guthrie, Stewart Crameri, Brandan Parfitt
F: Nakia Cockatoo, Tom Hawkins, Dan Menzel
FOLL: Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett
INT: Scott Selwood, Lincoln McCarthy, James Parsons, Mark Blicavs

Medical Room

582008-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Cam Guthrie suffered an ankle injury and had to be helped from the field during the second quarter after being caught in an awkward position in a tackle. He was on crutches at half-time. Nakia Cockatoo hurt a knee during the third quarter and played no further part while Gary Ablett's homecoming to GMHBA Stadium will be delayed after the veteran pinged his hamstring in the final term.

The Saints are mostly injury free and apart from Jack Steven who played the game out with a proppy ankle, Jack should be fine to play on Sunday afternoon.

Preview

504463-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

St.Kilda's issues continue for another week with the Saints inability to hit a target going inside 50 and poor disposal across the ground leaving them vulnerable in defence, and as much showed last Saturday night with Adelaide kicking away to register the biggest score against the Saints all year.

Frustration with the way the Saints have been playing has been well publicized in the media in recent weeks and after coach Alan Richardson promised a much more spirited effort in Round 3, it only stood true for a half. Questions about the direction of the club will continue being raised until St.Kilda can turn their season around.

In a disappointing night for the club, star midfielders Seb Ross and Luke Dunstan led the way for St.Kilda with 32 and 30 possessions respectively. Ross was named Best on Ground for his efforts in a losing side. St.Kilda's forward structure still seems to be a massive issue, with the combination of Josh Bruce, Paddy McCartin and Tim Membrey only combining for a solitary major over the past fortnight (Bruce's 1 goal against Adelaide) and as a whole only kicking 12 goals over 8 quarters of footy.

Geelong on the other hand will be ruing a poor start in which the Eagles led by as much as 32 points midway through the 2nd term. The Cats staged a spirited fight back in the second half however, clawing the margin back and hitting the front with a Tom Hawkins goal late in the 3rd term. But it wasn't to be for the men in blue & white hoops, and in the final term the wounded Cats, down to 1 on the bench, fought manfully but were overrun by a West Coast side full of energy.

It's hard to put a finger on Geelong's form so far this season. After Max Gawn's last minute blunder and Jarryd Roughead's last minute heroics, the Cats sat at 1-1 and now leave Optus Stadium at 1-2 to prepare for their first home game of the year.

Potential changes

steele2.jpg

Alan Richardson's post match presser against the Crows insinuated that there would be changes coming to the forward structure as it simply hasn't worked so far this season. St.Kilda forward Tim Membrey is still a test for this Sunday as he had a knee complaint at the conclusion of last weeks main training session. If he is available and is selected, it could mean a stint in the VFL for either Paddy McCartin or Josh Bruce, both of which haven't come close to the kind of form that should see them remain in the senior side.

St.Kilda's VFL affiliate Sandringham had a great victory against Footscray with many of the St.Kilda listed players leading the way. Recently dropped midfielder Jack Steele amassed 35 touches to go along with 12 clearances and 11 tackles, giving him the nod for Best on Ground in a stand-out performance. Youngsters Ed Phillips and rookie Hunter Clark were influential with 31 and 28 disposals respectively, whilst livewire small forward Jack Lonie kicked 4 majors to go along with his 27 possessions. There's plenty to think about for Alan Richardson and his coaching staff at the selection table this week.

Key Match-Ups

dangerfield.jpg

Brown v Hawkins
Tom Hawkins kicked 3.2 to go with 7 marks and 15 disposals against the Eagles on Sunday, and if he gets a hold of the Saints back six it could be lights out. Nathan Brown has been good down back for the Saints recently and will need another solid performance to quell Hawkins' influence on the game.

Ross v Dangerfield
Two prolific ball-winners who should play majority of the game in the middle. Whoever is able to get an upper hand in the contest will go a long way towards winning the game. Dangerfield was inspirational again for the Cats on Sunday, the Brownlow medalist racking up 33 possessions to bring Geelong back into the game. If he is let off the leash it will make St.Kilda's job a heck of a lot harder. With Gary Ablett out, the Saints need to keep Dangerfield away from the ball as much as possible to give themselves every chance.

Ruck
Will be one of the more important areas of the ground on Sunday. Geelong has used three different ruckman in 3 games this year, whilst the Saints had Longer out with injury last week and Rowan Marshall was serviceable as his replacement, whilst Tom Hickey was dominant in the VFL and has also put his hand up for a recall. Whoever lines up for either side will have a huge job ahead of them, as whichever side can get first use from the middle will go a long way to winning the game.

Tip

578368-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

After two really poor weeks the Saints confidence is shot. St.Kilda would need a huge turnaround to come away with the four points on Sunday afternoon, and even with Gary Ablett missing for the Cats, I still think they'll get the job done at home.

Cats by 28 points.

Thoughts?

Returning home from Perth...no Duncan, Ablett, Guthrie...also I assume Taylor and Henderson won't be back? If we were in better form I'd genuinely say we have a shot in this one.

Danger and Selwood prove too much to deal with unfortunately.

Cats by 23

This is as good a chance as we'll get… but Geelong looked very good yesterday in the second half, even with 3 men down… their skills were sharp and they look super fit. We'll need a complete turnaround with our forward entries if we are going to trouble them at home.

Dangerfield will more goals than our entire team . Geelong by 18pts

Returning home from Perth...no Duncan, Ablett, Guthrie...also I assume Taylor and Henderson won't be back? If we were in better form I'd genuinely say we have a shot in this one.

Cats by 23

Think i heard Duncan will be back

Cats by 23

Duncan will play, but we will be missing five of our best 22 (Taylor, Henderson, Ablett, Guthrie, Cockatoo).

Duncan will play, but we will be missing five of our best 22 (Taylor, Henderson, Ablett, Guthrie, Cockatoo).
I really hope we stick with Paddy, at the moment your backline is really stretched...I think he could actually have a half decent game if our disposal is at a better level.

I really hope we stick with Paddy, at the moment your backline is really stretched...I think he could actually have a half decent game if our disposal is at a better level.

Our backline did reasonably well against WCE yesterday, with Kolodjashnij and Stewart playing as our KPDs. But yes, big opportunity for McCartin without Taylor/Henderson down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its going to be interesting again when they pick the team, we should be better than last week - our chances just depend if we can kick goals - however what is our forward line going to look like / I would also like to see Brown replaced with a full back who will actually kick the ball.(Goddard or Austin to come in)
Steele , Lonie and Battle to come in as well.

What's the go with Membrey, there were posts that the knee would take ~6 weeks but on the club website it reads like it was minor.

Cats have had three very tight finishes, expending a lot of energy on a great, ultimately unsuccessful comeback yesterday, on top of the Perth trip.

The atmosphere with Gazza playing his first home game would have been electric, so we definitely scored a little win there.

Very definitely wishful thinking but I think we can get close, even if we don't win. They are going to be p....d off with losing two close ones though.

If fit, Membrey in for Wright and Steele for Armo
If not, Battle in.

I'm going to the game, hope the drive home afterwards isn't too miserable o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back