Review Round 4, 2019 - Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was decided in the first quarter where Essendon were white hot. A couple of dropped chest marks by Lions forwards and it was a case of eat my dust, speed kills, great carry and spread and pin point fifty yard disposals by Essendon and we were five goals down at quarter time.

We were terrible in the second quarter though, playing like we used to a few years ago.

We had the better of the second half (just) but those late goals by TW were bloody marvellous to see for a footy fan.

We didn't get our second kick of the game for several first few minutes. We needed someone to get the ball, stop, go sidewards and then hit someone leading up who goes sidewards, i.e. slow the game down and survive that first quarter.

Robertson is a good example of an athlete playing football. He can make it to contests all day and keep up with his man but you've still got to know what to do when the ball comes in your direction. Will get a chance to bounce back though and he usually works his way into more solid touch after a few games.

NRobbo wasn’t great, conceded, he wasn’t alone, you don’t drop a player after one bad game! you give them the opportunity to make amends and luckily for him and the rest of the team they have to quickly review and forget and start focusing on next Thursday. 3-1 and sitting in the eight.

For the love of God. If Fagan picks Robertson next week, someone please ban me. Because I am done with this s**t. Bookmark it too, I really wouldn't care

If you don't have the balls to follow through on your claims why should mods do your dirty work for you?

Anthony Tippa
Capitalises on his chances
Cameron does not

Not trying to take anything away from Essendon or put the loss all on Charlie but reverse the scoreboard impact of these two players and likely a different game. Honestly though we just didn't seem like we came to play. Frustrating because his missed today are the sort of thing Charlie can nail in his sleep.
Feel like this was the game that really let us see that divide between Neale and our other mids. Berry and Clugg were decent though Berry made a lot of errors and Clugg's impact wasn't really consistent and between that there really wasn't much support for Neale. Zork's best roles this year seems to be when he's just focused on applying pressure. When playing as a pure mid he's often been tagged, ineffective or seemingly playing for the free tot he detriment of winning the ball. Ball was leaking out of the midfield and our defence was under the pressure we'd seen in previous years and I'd sorta expected had passed. Not good. Brings out the worst in your defenders when they're constantly under pressure and even more so when there's mismatches.
Thought Robber was bad but his worst moments came when he was up against Tippa and he's really not a strong match up for him. We really need a small shut down defender with some pace because I'm struggling to think of anyone on our list that can fill that role. Thought all of Robertson, Witherdern, Hodge and Gardiner were made to look pretty average at times today.
Don't want to think about the rest too much. Pretty s**t. Hoping that's our annual crappy G performance and we regroup and get ourselves together and give a good crack against the Pies.

From an at the ground perspective, it wasn't as bad as the scoreboard shows

We really cracked in after half time. Better kicking from us and a regression from the great kicking from them might have had it close to level midway thru the 4th where they had 3 more scoring shots at the time. We let it go a bit late

Had the advantage goal counted and the in the back from McCarthy not been called we might have been within a few goals late there and with the momentum.

Probably a good thing in the end we didn't get close as there will be more areas to point to to get better in

The epitome of an old chestnut there Big Sauce. Are you calling for Fagan's sacking?
Like players having a bad game, so do coaches and so do match committees.

It doesn't necessarily follow at all that Big Sauce 21 was calling for anything other than stating that Coach Fagan was outcoached today, which happens even to the best of coaches occasionally.

We've won 3 out of 4 . I'll take that . We're not as good as some people were cracking us up to be and let's be honest we haven't played all that well for large swags of the games the last 2 weeks . Defensive structures seem to have broken down completely today . Harris is oddly right out of form and if that happens we're in trouble . Charlie likewise seems out of sorts.

It's only 4 weeks in and we're well placed if we knuckled down and bring our A game . A lot of players seemed lost on the MCG today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read any of this yet , just went through the last 5 pages of the game thread and bailed at 2 to go.
Wow so much fault going Nick Robbos way.
You could put the whole team in there.
Zorko : kicked straight to them in the cluch moments
Walker: Miss read the flight of the ball.
Lyons: At the contest stands flat footed puts his hadns out to get the ball in mid air instead of running on to the ball out of conjestion.
Rayner : LIke I said last week thought he was Inhibited with the calked thigh , this week , who knows, have a rest mate.
I could go on and on we are s**t when we don't go hard at the contest , its a team thing, and we are still doing it.
Thought we were past that.
Players not sticking marks does not help either.
In regards to Tippa it was all about what happened before the kick went to him is what concerns me not Nick Robbo.
That's where our strength should be at every f.....g skirmish .
Nullify ther progress before guys like Tippa or next weeks Smalls or Collingwood will make us a laghing stock.

Well, we all knew that one was coming.

I tipped Essendon today.

We've been here way too many times before to know when the club and the players are getting ahead of themselves and believing their own hype.

That being said, it still staggered me that the club and players did get ahead of themselves given they've achieved SFA and have just bought into all the positive stories being written and spoken about them.

But how they could've turned up today and not smashed in like their lives were on the line, as Essendon did, was really disappointing. You'd have to think they all had one eye on next week and even, given how well Collingwood play at the Gabba and how poor we've been in recent weeks, I'll be stunned if we turn it around in 5 days time.

Like players having a bad game, so do coaches and so do match committees.

It doesn't necessarily follow at all that Big Sauce 21 was calling for anything other than stating that Coach Fagan was outcoached today, which happens even to the best of coaches occasionally.
IMO we would have no idea if he was out coached, to my untrained eye it looked a hell of a lot more like on field player driven failure than a coaches box failure.

It was woeful . Robertson is an endurance runner not an explosive athlete hasn’t got the tools to play on a really quick forward . Lyon has been pretty underwhelming from
What I have seen was good in JLT but can’t make it too the contest the suns may have been right all along . Rayner well I don’t know what la going on 5 touches last week 7 or 8 this week hasn’t lived up to the hype . When you compare what young Rozee from port did in his 3rd game of footy last week well Rayner seems a long way off producing that . Seriously need some more run and carry out of the back half this week Bailey was a big loss but they gotta find some pace from somewhere . Tom Berry May be the lock down defender we are looking for or give Cedric cox another crack . Bastinac offers a lot more then Robertson that’s for sure

I was pissed off about 5 minutes into the game and i've been pissed off ever since. Been a while since we've shown that lack of intensity. Could tell very early in that game that we were in for a long day. Oh well, next week.
Totally agree no team will win if the whole team doesn't go hard when its their turn.
Same s**t with us different year.

Totally agree no team will win if the whole team doesn't go hard when its their turn.
Same s**t with us different year.
No no, I think we've improved a lot over the last 2 years. The comp is so even this year that if you don't bring 100% each week, you won't win games of football. That was us today, we were awful but it's not going to be the sort of year that will be defined by any one loss. We're 3-1, it ain't the 'same s**t'.

I haven't read any of this yet , just went through the last 5 pages of the game thread and bailed at 2 to go.
Wow so much fault going Nick Robbos way.
You could put the whole team in there.
Zorko : kicked straight to them in the cluch moments
Walker: Miss read the flight of the ball.
Lyons: At the contest stands flat footed puts his hadns out to get the ball in mid air instead of running on to the ball out of conjestion.
Rayner : LIke I said last week thought he was Inhibited with the calked thigh , this week , who knows, have a rest mate.
I could go on and on we are s**t when we don't go hard at the contest , its a team thing, and we are still doing it.
Thought we were past that.
Players not sticking marks does not help either.
In regards to Tippa it was all about what happened before the kick went to him is what concerns me not Nick Robbo.
That's where our strength should be at every f.....g skirmish .
Nullify ther progress before guys like Tippa or next weeks Smalls or Collingwood will make us a laghing stock.
I'm on record as not being a fan of Robbo but after reading some of the vindictive stuff that's been put up here I've decided I'm going to become a fan.

If you think players don't read this stuff then think again ,they're very young men who've been brought up on SM .So please show some restraint.

Robbo has a red hot go and hopefully we can find a role for him . They guy has had a limited preparation and came up against a freakish player today with up the field not helping him. He was a bit rusty.

Let's get behind our guys after winning 3 out of 4 , today was a wake up call to players and coaches and maybe we can surprise the Pies on Thursday with a few curve balls

Things are never as good or bad as they seem.

The Round 1 Bombers were disgusting and we were giant killers on the rise

Today the bad guys are on fire, barely make a mistake and seemingly were directing the bounce of the ball by remote control. Add in two or three umpiring howlers against us and a small forward who had an absolute day out and it all adds up to a dirty day at the office.

Sure we looked poor in large chunks but drawing parallels to the Leppa years is totally baseless. Back then it would have been a 90 to 100 point blowout after half time but if nothing else, this group shows guts and team spirit when the chips are down. They did get back to within 28 in the last and as the commentators noted, The Bombers were starting to look a little jittery.

We had to take more risks especially when we couldn't convert our dominance in the 4th and as what usually happens in these circumstances, the opponents get one entry and get the knockout goal.

Some are paying out on Bundy for that centering kick that they swooped on and converted to a goal. To me , it was the price of doing business....the cause is just about lost so he tried a risky kick that backfired. Stiff s**t.

Those in meltdown mode need to keep some perspective.

Things are never as good or bad as they seem.

The Round 1 Bombers were disgusting and we were giant killers on the rise

Today the bad guys are on fire, barely make a mistake and seemingly were directing the bounce of the ball by remote control. Add in two or three umpiring howlers against us and a small forward who had an absolute day out and it all adds up to a dirty day at the office.

Sure we looked poor in large chunks but drawing parallels to the Leppa years is totally baseless. Back then it would have been a 90 to 100 point blowout after half time but if nothing else, this group shows guts and team spirit when the chips are down. They did get back to within 28 in the last and as the commentators noted, The Bombers were starting to look a little jittery.

We had to take more risks especially when we couldn't convert our dominance in the 4th and as what usually happens in these circumstances, the opponents get one entry and get the knockout goal.

Some are paying out on Bundy for that centering kick that they swooped on and converted to a goal. To me , it was the price of doing business....the cause is just about lost so he tried a risky kick that backfired. Stiff s**t.

Those in meltdown mode need to keep some perspective.

Probably worth remembering that Bundy had a death in his family during the week as well.

I wouldn't drop Rayner. He isnt playing great but is only young. I wouldn't drop anyone in fact. I just think we had a stinker and the bombers played out of their skins. We were very fumbly and the bombers got the luck of the bounce. The one area that really concerned me was a few times in the first half I felt our guys didn't go hard into the contest and put their head over the ball.

Still think we will win the flag.

Back