Review Round 4, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If we play against a proper AFL team in a final where pressure is 10 fold on what the pathetic crows dished up I highly doubt we'd be able to have the time to pin point passes inside 50 all day long. Im thinking finals footy here not beating up on bottom of the ladder teams. We need a consitent contested mark inside 50.look at tigers last year in the final we played. Lynch and reiwoldt out performed hipwood and Mcstay comfortably evennthoigh we dominated the stats all over the ground.
The primary reason Lynch & Reiwoldt out performed Hipwood & McStay in that final was because of the quality of delivery. The way the ball comes in to our forward line is piss poor. The quality way Richmond brought the ball into their forward line was premium. Simple fact that cannot be debated. Take another look at the replay...it is self explanatory.

Some nice personal highlights in this package, particularly McCarthy's mark in the second and Charlie's in the fourth.

My top 3 were two involving Ryan Lester (0:19 and 4:56) and the team play goal started by Charlie and ending in Dan Rich banging in a long range goal at 5:25 of the clip.

"Charlie's team play goal" is one of the main reasons why we wont be serious contenders at the end of the season. Rayner had a perfect run straight at the goals when the ball was in his hands. All Charlie had to do was lay a shepherd on his direct opponent and Rayner had one of the simpliest shots at goal you could ask for. Instead, Charlie completely left his opponent and ran to a much more difficult angle at goal & demanded the ball...selfish in my opinion. Lucky that he kicked it. This is not what good sides do to win flags and will need to change quickly.

McStay made some really good leads on the weekend that were ignored.

I wish hipwood was still allowed to go for his long bombs on the left foot. Was so fun to watch back in 2017-2018 when he'd do it every week.

"Charlie's team play goal" is one of the main reasons why we wont be serious contenders at the end of the season. Rayner had a perfect run straight at the goals when the ball was in his hands. All Charlie had to do was lay a shepherd on his direct opponent and Rayner had one of the simpliest shots at goal you could ask for. Instead, Charlie completely left his opponent and ran to a much more difficult angle at goal & demanded the ball...selfish in my opinion. Lucky that he kicked it. This is not what good sides do to win flags and will need to change quickly.
Are you referring to the same goal I was i.e. where it resulted in Charlie doing a dinky kick to Dan McStay who pinpointed Hugh, who in turn handballed to Dan Richo who goaled from 60m out?

Are you referring to the same goal I was i.e. where it resulted in Charlie doing a dinky kick to Dan McStay who pinpointed Hugh, who in turn handballed to Dan Richo who goaled from 60m out?
No. Probs not. I was referring to the 3.09 minute mark of the highlight reel. Sorry for my bad interpretation of which goal you were meaning.

Can we kick a goal or take a contested Mark inside 50 yet... two things holding us back big time imo
Yeh that was glaringly obvious yesterday.
There was an instance were one of our talls ( I think Big O) had forward position and didn't attempt to mark at all, but brought it to the ground.
We didn't score .
Surely if you can mark , or have a good position to mark then why not mark it and take a shot on goal.

the bombing into 50 or up the field is going to be predictable even more so as every week goes by.
obviously a directive from the coaches.
That works as it seems more than not, but not against sides that can keep possession and work through the field.
Can't say I'm a fan of our style at present, if I'm totally honest.
Totally agree with you , it's a step we need to make.
Time to get clinical.

I liked Josh and didn't want him moved on but who would you move out of our current starting 22 for him? Or who would you move out of our squad for him?

Marcus Adams would be the one for me at this moment in time although if he gets his body right I think he will be an upgrade on Josh.

Agreed Josh is a nice guy but a limited footballer. As an interceptor a good back up for Harris but Harris is very rarely out.

Interesting he says he wouldn't mind the midfield lowering the eyes with our fwd 50 entries, it's just not possible that our predictable system going fwd is the functional ideal, and putting Ballenden in at FF/2nd ruck for Archie, with Skinner in for McStay will net a better result than bombing it to Oscar and McStay.

If we have genuine marking targets between Oscar Ballenden and Skinner, with Hipwood too but pushing up the flank as he does, then combined with our fwd pressure we can do better
Totally what you said.

Mate this take is insane hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to put our wins in perspective. We have beaten the bottom three teams and lost to the team one place below us. And we have been at home for the last three. When we beat some top teams, starting with Port, and win on the road, we maybe can talk about our window.

After being shut up in iso, no sports plus other worse traumas the window is open. I shall sit by this window and drink in the sweet, sweet air of victory; delusional or not. Until this window closes completely I shall remain by it, covert it and pretend there never was a time when it wasn't there. ;)

the bombing into 50 or up the field is going to be predictable even more so as every week goes by.
obviously a directive from the coaches.
I feel like that has been our strategy for nigh on a dozen years even for the back half of Browny's career.

It is so frustrating watching other teams with these beautiful transitions and passing into leading key forwards, but we just seem to kick it into packs hoping one of our key forwards will pluck a mark whilst also competing with another one of our key forwards and both of their opponents and then a McCarthy, Rayner, Cameron also flying into the contest.

Rarely does it work.

The talk of selfish play/team first is pretty funny and fascinating. With the like of Rayner/Hippy, I think naturally they are showmen who want the big risks big rewards (and to be fair to them I reckon they can deliver on that too) but they are certainly looking to hand it off. I will go full conspiracy theory and judge there is an element of being gun shy after some misses? :p

Additionally, a massive factor of being successful and having that X factor is selfishness. We would bemoan if Charles stopped going for his stuff (I was so happy he got that speccy yesterday, thought he had put that club back in the bag). And wasn't a large part of our strategy last year basically give it to Charles and hope he can do some magic? :) In all seriousness yeh you're right there was a moment or two when he was probably overzealous.. but it's what Fages said, we're in the entertainment industry. And Charles can certainly entertain :D

Personally I think the player who has the perfect ratio of knowing when to go it themselves/team first is Lyons.

edit: I hope this week the media team upload an additional "All the Behinds" video too :'(

Last edited:
What we are doing though is not allowing many marks by opposition defenders, we are bringing the ball to ground in contested mark situations.

Some just don't seem to fully grasp our game plan or do and would rather we played like the 2002 Lions which in today's game would see us win less games. McStay and Hipwood are following coaches orders which does not include leading/marking/goal or point in our case! Unless of course the opportunity arises like McStays mark in the goal square V Eagles

Liked Bailey's game in the 4th quarter a lot. He also seems to be sticking tackles a lot better so far this season which is promising.

Sometimes playing games is all that matters - while he wasn't amazing in the back half of last year I think he is reaping the rewards of the experience.

Very happy him and Starce are best 22 locks.

Liked Bailey's game in the 4th quarter a lot. He also seems to be sticking tackles a lot better so far this season which is promising.

Sometimes playing games is all that matters - while he wasn't amazing in the back half of last year I think he is reaping the rewards of the experience.

Very happy him and Starce are best 22 locks.
Bailey really impressed me in the last. I was very worried about Zorko missing but think Bailey can play that role pretty well next week

Interesting enough for all the complaints about our contested marking we took the most contested marks of the round and the most marks inside 50

Admittedly it was against the likely wooden spooner
And............ on a wet day!

I feel like that has been our strategy for nigh on a dozen years even for the back half of Browny's career.

It is so frustrating watching other teams with these beautiful transitions and passing into leading key forwards, but we just seem to kick it into packs hoping one of our key forwards will pluck a mark whilst also competing with another one of our key forwards and both of their opponents and then a McCarthy, Rayner, Cameron also flying into the contest.

Rarely does it work.
Sun's play a fantastic brand of football kicking inside 50. They hit up targets so often even with a young and developing forward line. It just looks beautiful.

Back