Round 4: Richmond vs Sandringham @ Punt Road - Saturday 4:30PM, 30/04/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Really great to hear Soldo has developed a bit. I have to say from what I had seen from him at VFL level last year and from a few training sessions in the pre season, I did not think that he has the attributes to make it. Decent rucks are so few and far between that it is worth persisting with the younger ones as long as they are ticking a few basic boxes- tall, strong, competitive. Skill level can be sub par as long as you're giving a decent contest around the ground- let's face it, Goldstein is the bench mark but is an absolute 1 in a million freak. If you get a solid citizen then you've got to be happy.

29 touches by Short - and effective, too. That's a great return for his first game at half back.

:thumbsu: Ah, yes, the eternal search for a half back flanker goes one and one, and on, and on, and on ..... and on! I do hope we find one soon, then our coaches can go back to paying some attention to the rest of the problems.
Speaks volumes about us that we take a kid who boots three goals in his first AFL game and a week or two later he's banished to the back line.
Sam with Astbury - kicked three or four in his first outing and played most of his junior footy as a forward yet we quickly turned him into an average defender.
Hardwick is determined to be the first coach to win a game by kicking 4.3 while holding the opposition to three goals.

Last edited:
I just realised that Soldo was up against Longer, Pearce and Holmes and beat them all!!!!
Gotta say he just keeps improving with every game. I thought last year he was no chance of making it, this year still think it unlikely but the odds are improving.
If he keeps this rapid improvement up then who knows. We are seeing Americans, Africans etc playing the game these days with no or little footy background, so whose to say he can't play at the top level.
He's still only a pup when he finishes growing he's going to be a big unit, and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty when the ball is on the ground either. Those type appeal to me as ruckman, give your mids a bit of assistance and protection.

Gotta say he just keeps improving with every game. I thought last year he was no chance of making it, this year still think it unlikely but the odds are improving.
If he keeps this rapid improvement up then who knows. We are seeing Americans, Africans etc playing the game these days with no or little footy background, so whose to say he can't play at the top level.
He's still only a pup when he finishes growing he's going to be a big unit, and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty when the ball is on the ground either. Those type appeal to me as ruckman, give your mids a bit of assistance and protection.
Just have to confirm. You're talking about a Richmond player right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, used to seeing the graph going the other direction STW.
And we can't even chalk this one up to our recruiters. As far as I can tell Ivan brought him to training one day and told the club to play him or he will break them..........or sth along those lines anyway:p. Much like when we recruited Miles. Had nothing to do with talent spotting.

L.Conca is the fattest bloke i have seen play since C grade ressies in the VAFA....

There's a full forward in the southern division of the Superules (over 35's) that is 160kgs. Kicked 2 on Sunday. Unstoppable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back