Autopsy Round 5 2014 - Brisbane v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, got another son playing colts at West Perth
Can't be everywhere (if he plays)
Want to spend as much time with Daniel and his footy as well.
Jodes in Brissy for 10 days in late May and I'm back aug for a week
Get across as much as we can

Thank you for your insights, your enthusiasm for the team and honesty in the way you post here. It's a perspective that's both unique and intriguing and it's so easy to see your pride in your family.
Thanks for sharing your ride with us...really looking forward to a long journey with the inevitable highs and lows but one with the support of one huge family. Cheers Robbo44

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My favorite passage of play was Robbo-Aish-Mayes me and my mate looked at each other and and at the same time said 'the future' as a tear of happiniess welled into the corner of our eyes. Only positive thing so far about this season our future looks bright

So...is it that we all misread the gameplan? Or is it that the gameplan was changed?

I know it's been said but I've never been convinced we've actually seen the game plan...maybe up until now?

There's been lots of talk about skills and players and how bad the game plan is over the last few weeks...

Was last night a glimpse of it gelling, or was it a release of the shackles finally?

Heres hoping that display last night buys the players, the plan and the coach a little more time before the spoon talk becomes deafening.

Surprised by all the love for Clarke's game. I think he's definitely a future pillar of our defence, but he's suffering from a shocking case of second year blues so far this season. Didn't see him execute a single switch correctly last night. Either missed his target completely, or gave it so much air that an opponent had time to get to the contest.

Agree that Robbo and Cutler are a couple of gems — what an awesome inside-outside combo this pair will be for us for the next decade (fingers crossed)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At such an early point in his career, l would prefer him to focus all on beating his opponent (which l think he did for 3 and a bit quarter) and focus on DE later.

People got a bit precious on the suggestion Aish needs to work a bit harder. Yeah he is a 18yr but it doesnt mean you cant discuss areas of improvement. I have no doubt Aish will be a very good player. He needs to two way run betteer though... and yes I know it is his first pre-season etc... Just a area I look forward to seeing him improve.

My example from last week was watching Polec push forward with Aish looking like he gave up the chase. It was very early in the game (pre-season irrelevant).

Im sure he has the character to tidy up this part of this game. Just a constructive thought

Was Mayes an Golby swapped positions last night? It seemed Golby was playing on the HF while mayes was running along the HBF

I thought Zorkos disposal efficiency was one of the worst last night. It has been what I would expect to see from Raines so far this year.

The problem with Zorko's disposal, particularly his kicking, is that he kicks the s**t out of the footy (i.e. too hard)and just loses all control and accuracy of the footy.

Heres hoping that display last night buys the players, the plan and the coach a little more time before the spoon talk becomes deafening.

Mate, Carlton are the spoon champions.

They'll find a way.

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v Richmond

3. Cotchin feasts on Lions

After Brent Macaffer nullified him last week, Trent Cotchin would have been licking his lips when he saw second-gamer Nick Robertson line up against him in the first quarter. In fairness, Robertson was no pushover and he and his teammates tried to rough the Tigers’ skipper up early but Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlaustin, Dan Jackson and Reece Conca all gave Cotchin the protection they didn’t provide against the Magpies. As the game went on, Cotchin was allowed to roam free and even squeaked a goal with a grubber kick to extend his side’s lead to double figures in the third quarter, ending the game as the best on field with 32 touches.

Sad thing is that most predicted this would be the case, and on the back of Selwood, Ablett and Boak, we simply are happy to let the game's best have a free reign when they play us. I'm not saying Robertson was disgraced, but at what point are we actually going to try and nullify the game's elite, particularly if we an intention of winning.

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v Richmond

Sad thing is that most predicted this would be the case, and on the back of Selwood, Ablett and Boak, we simply are happy to let the game's best have a free reign when they play us. I'm not saying Robertson was disgraced, but at what point are we actually going to try and nullify the game's elite, particularly if we an intention of winning.

I personally think the obsession with hard tagging is way too simplistic on here lately. We are one of the most offensively weak sides in the competition at the moment and on top of that some people want us to have one player on the field not only dedicating himself to pure defense but also adding to the poor skills of an already poorly skilled team. No thanks.

Leppa is on the record as a three phase (they have the ball/we have the ball/ball is in dispute) coach. There won't be any place for players who can only contribute in one phase. At least Crowley and Macaffer have shown they can go forward and be a threat.

Raines has given us good service and deserves our respect, but he isn't part of the future plans. Play Robbo instead. He'll get better every week at keeping his opponent honest but also give us much more value in the other two phases as well.

Last edited:
I personally think the obsession with hard tagging is way too simplistic on here lately. We are one of the most offensively weak sides in the competition at the moment and on top of that some people want us to have one player on the field not only dedicating himself to pure defense but also adding to the poor skills of an already poorly skilled team.

No thanks.

Whilst Golby played in an offensive position last night, his role very much appeared to be one that was concentrated on defence. On either counts he failed miserably. I wasn't necessarily calling for Raines' inclusion, but at the same time, simply letting the best in the game do as they please is certainly not getting us either. I think it would have been more beneficial, and given us a greater opportunity at winning, which I think is what we're actually wanting to do, would have been to play a hard tag on Cotchin rather than whatever role Golby was sent out to do.

I personally think the obsession with hard tagging is way too simplistic on here lately. We are one of the most offensively weak sides in the competition at the moment and on top of that some people want us to have one player on the field not only dedicating himself to pure defense but also adding to the poor skills of an already poorly skilled team. No thanks.

Leppa is on the record as a three phase (they have the ball/we have the ball/ball is in dispute) coach. There won't be any place for players who can only contribute in one phase. At least Crowley and Macaffer have shown they can go forward and be a threat.

Raines has given us good service and deserves our respect, but he isn't part of the future plans. Play Robbo instead. He'll get better every week at keeping his opponent honest but also give us much more value in the other two phases as well.

We also have one of the most unaccountable midfields as well.

But you're right I think Leppa prefers allowing their mids to run free and just play someone like Lisle free behind the footy to reduce their scoring. Even though it means we're giving ourselves much of a chance to kick 12+ goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't necessarily calling for Raines' inclusion, but at the same time, simply letting the best in the game do as they please is certainly not getting us either.

I'm finding it harder and harder to take this sort of black and white argument seriously, because of course if you aren't advocating for the benefits of a dedicated hard-stopper, you must presumably be supportive of letting Cotchin have completely free rein to do as he pleases. :drunk:

No middle ground or balance to be found whatsoever.

Did anyone seriously watch the game last night and come away with the conclusion that Robbo's role was to "let Cotchin do as he pleased"? Serious question.

The way Rockliff nullified Mitchell is probably what Leppa wants in the future.

The 'hard tag' is fine if you have lots of avenues to attack, we simply do not at this stage.

Robbo had Cotchin matched for most of the game, I think it was the stretch in the 3rd that Cotchin got on top with his experience.

Could also be a case of letting Robbo play on a good quality mid for learning experience as well. Whilst Robbo was on him, and playing on him, the ball was still his number 1 priority. We do not have room in the team for a player who only has eyes for 1 opposition player on the ground. It wont win us the game, and it isnt part of leppas plans moving forward, so what is the point in doing it.

Give someone a crack and they might learn something.

I thought Zorkos disposal efficiency was one of the worst last night. It has been what I would expect to see from Raines so far this year.

Yep but you can also tell it annoys Zorko when he makes mistakes, which is a good thing because it will all come together eventually for him. Last year i thought he was good with ball in the hand, where Raines has always had dodgy disposal. He does need to improve considering how much ball he has been getting lately, but i think his disposal efficiency will be up and down all season as he learns how to make the right decisions whilst under more pressure. (As he is one of our best mids now)

Robbo had Cotchin matched for most of the game, I think it was the stretch in the 3rd that Cotchin got on top with his experience.

Watching on TV, Cotchin looked very quiet for the first half. It was only when he was moved down back to run off the half back line that he actually started getting a bit of the ball and disposing of it effectively, and then really off the chain about halfway through the third.

Aish definitely does some nice stuff but he's not as noticeable as Robbo or Cutler or Taylor adds some pace we desperately need. Just think Aish needs to add to his inside work or his polish to take the next step.

He's only a boy.

Not even 18 and a half and the youngest player on our list.

I'm really bullish about him.....polish, durability, hardness at the contest will come with time.

Not sure if anyone else picked it up in the browny interview after the game but he said he is pretty sure that that may be his last milestone game - pretty sure - does this mean he is still thinking of going on next season??

He did mention last year that he's not categorically saying this will be his last season, so you never know. If he can continue his revived form of this season and the body's feeling good, he may well go another one. Maybe even another two. He doesn't strike me as being done with footy yet, and if he feels he's still contributing well and holding up alright, why not? Seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Me too.:thumbsu:

But another young boy

He, Aish, Cutler, Gardiner, Robbo etc will be forces to be reckoned with when they grow up.:)
Really happy with all the young boys, cant say anything about Gardiner yet. Wasnt embarrassed but did get beaten. loved his aggressions but he needs to keep his place for next week to see if he improves like the others.

He did mention last year that he's not categorically saying this will be his last season, so you never know. If he can continue his revived form of this season and the body's feeling good, he may well go another one. Maybe even another two. He doesn't strike me as being done with footy yet, and if he feels he's still contributing well and holding up alright, why not? Seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
For Browny to go on he needs to contribute with goals, if he can contribute with a goal or 2, sometimes even 3 goals a game then the coach, the players and even himself might want him to go on. If he retires l dont know where we will get the goals from, we desperately need a dominant KPF in this years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back