Review Round 5, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be hard to keep these boys up and about with this combination of floggings and “close but no cigar” heartbreakers that belie our improvement.

GWS next week will just pile on the misery. What a shithouse bit of early fixturing. We have no traction by the time the winnable games come up.

Thank god we got everyone signed up because this is shaping as a season that would have players looking at greener pastures from the emotional bitchslaps it keeps dishing out. 17 games to go!

So if we played with the effort and intensity and hard defensive running we displayed in the last 15 minutes for the whole game, we would have won.
Great games from McCluggage (best game so far) and Andrews. Witherden v. good. Also Cutler. Loved Cameron's goal of the year.
No shame on Rayner missing at the end, when Taylor, Bastinac, McStay (twice), Berry and Christensen all missed kickable goals, mostly from set shots. Convert 2 of those 6 shots and we win. We only won one quarter, so didn't really deserve to win.

I think it would be worth trying Big Oscar (or Walker or Eagles) as a forward to provide another marking target. If the ball comes to ground then we have the small forwards to capitalise, but too often we had no one to kick it to and were depending on McCluggage, Cameron etc to mark against numbers. It might not be fashionable, but given we won inside 50s, we really should have won the game. It's worth a try soon, as Martin could do with more of a chop out and will start to wear down given the load he is carrying. Also we don't yet have the skills to play a predominantly small forward line like Richmond's... might work long term, but we need to compete on every entry at the moment.

Sure I'm disappointed, but it's much better than last week, and I think Gold Coast are probably a bit underrated on this board and elsewhere.

Last edited:

I’m so sick of that STUPID contact below the knees rule.

The rule's fine.....It's the umpires interpretation that's questionable.

Last edited:
Going to be hard to keep these boys up and about with this combination of floggings and “close but no cigar” heartbreakers that belie our improvement.

GWS next week will just pile on the misery. What a shithouse bit of early fixturing. We have no traction by the time the winnable games come up.

Thank god we got everyone signed up because this is shaping as a season that would have players looking at greener pastures from the emotional bitchslaps it keeps dishing out. 17 games to go!

GWS will show no mercy after giving up a draw.

So if we played with the effort and intensity and hard defensive running we displayed in the last 15 minutes for the whole game, we would have won.
Hit the nail on the head.

Our defensive pressure has been very inconsistent so far this season, patches of lockdown defense mixed with bruise free footy.

It doesn't help that we miss dozens of tackles each match.

Now we have to play the giants away and on a six day turnaround.. Memories of the game against Richmond resurfacing at the thought.

Absolutely agree re fixture. Couldn’t be worse. I’m filthy with the start, but we’ll win a few at the back end of the year (when it means little) and it’ll up the optimism around the group... it’s been the same patter for at least 7 years. First 10 games we are bad. Last 12, we snag 3-4 wins to bump it up to 6 and finish the year with some hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree re fixture. Couldn’t be worse. I’m filthy with the start, but we’ll win a few at the back end of the year (when it means little) and it’ll up the optimism around the group... it’s been the same patter for at least 7 years. First 10 games we are bad. Last 12, we snag 3-4 wins to bump it up to 6 and finish the year with some hope.
After GWS the next 3 games are very winnable

The Lions season so far:

roadrunner-625x350.jpg

Keep making excuses for them. I told myself I will not post.during the game as my emotions can get the better of me. Couple of hours later doesn't really help. Joints a *ing joke. My money is going to upgrading the storm membership, this so called footy club has beat me.

Zorko did lead the team in tackles with 8. (Berry also 8.) We won the tackle count tonight with 58, which feels like an improvement, though would still like to see higher tackle numbers than that.

I thought Allison brought a bit to the side tonight. It is all just so hard to watch. Like many others, i have been a supporter for a long time and just am completely gutted. There is no way our club should be paying anywhere near 100% of the salary cap.

Agree, except for the bit where you mention improvement. That part is a myth.

Last edited:
Maybe time to run a small forward line out of necessity than anything. Zorko and Beams with their own issues in midfield, stick them down forward full time for a few weeks.

After GWS the next 3 games are very winnable
Wouldn't write off the GWS game. I am going and have a good record lately (Reserve granny, AFLX, Women v GWS). We win when I turn up.
If St Kilda can draw against them, we can beat them. It's time for the true believers.

Hate to pick on one player but in all honesty McStay cost us the game. Three shocking misses from set shots 20 to 30 metres out and absolutely slaughtered when backing up in the ruck. Gold Coast took control of the clearances whenever he went into the ruck. Looks so talented but lacks the desperation and effort to ever be a key player unless he has a dramatic turnaround. At least Walker competes and is rarely out marked and brings the ball to the ground.

Wouldn't write off the GWS game. I am going and have a good record lately (Reserve granny, AFLX, Women v GWS). We win when I turn up.
If St Kilda can draw against them, we can beat them. It's time for the true believers.
There is more chance of me becoming the Pope this week then us beating GWS.

Back