Autopsy Round 6, 2020: Fremantle v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

KO Mike Tyson one week, mugged by someone’s grandma the next. Only St Kilda can do that to you. We should have the Big Dipper as our crest.
Spot-on, it’s really hard to get your head around - even for those of us who followed the team for decades.

For me it was the poor level of opposition and being ahead by 6 goals in a shortened game (worth a 50 point lead in a normal game) on the verge of solidifying a top 4 spot that makes this loss one of the wildest rides from a wild football club.

Stop the ride, I want to get off.

Or maybe he just beaten. His best quarter by a huge margin was the last. He most Will be rested but next isn’t the right time
He was beaten but it’s his general form that is a the problem. IMO he could use a short spell. He took bugger all marks today which is usually his bread and butter.
May turn it around next week but I wouldn’t let it linger too long. It impacts the whole team too much.

OK I promise I'm not wearing my Saints glasses here, but watching the slow mo of Longy he gets down low in front of Darcy and gets his feet set, and Darcy actually goes head first into Long's brick wall back! Not an arm or bump or a charge. Like a car in an accident, Long was stationary when he was rear ended :wink:

Put it this way, if Long did the same thing propping in front of an opposition player who actually kept their feet, they would probably be paid a free against when they run through the back of Long. The fact that Darcy went to his knees leading head first into Long's back doesn't equal a suspension. If anything, Darcy just got schooled on how not to lead into contests head first like Paddy McCartin would. I would strongly argue that out of the two players Darcy was the reckless one.

One positive - I thought Coffield was good again today, when we were under the pump in defence he showed a lot of composure.and poise.

He got pinged for one of those new Clarko no prior holding the ball decisions but apart from that I couldn't fault him, he's like a younger Wilkie.

He was beaten but it’s his general form that is a the problem. IMO he could use a short spell. He took bugger all marks today which is usually his bread and butter.
May turn it around next week but I wouldn’t let it linger too long. It impacts the whole team too much.
He was in the best 2 a week ago

Observations.

1. Marshall is tired and got beaten by the Darcy and Lobb tag team, Darcy/Lobb also kicked a goal each.. Ryder could have been handy today.

2. We don’t win enough clean ball in contest/clearance, a lot of rushed kicks forward, need another contested ball winner in there and win the ball first.

3. Need another runner/mid in the forward line and offer a genuine goal threat.. Marsh out, parker or Sinclair in.

4. Need more runners in the midfield Billings is not a running/bounce wingman, need to get Hill in the game, then add another player who can carry the ball..

Coffield could be a good midfielder if he's gets stronger, the way he can shrug through tackles and dish off handballs and pinpoint kicks.

He could be the new Fyfe or Cripps, another preseason or two in the gym and Coffield will be a weapon for us along with Clark and King.

Marshall could be the next big ruckman after Gawn and Grundy,

We're building a good team, there will be ups and downs but we're going in the right direction.

Well I'm going to have a nap. Just had a laugh to myself thinking about how we let that slip. Comical stuff sometimes it really is.

At least Liverpool are on at 12am, a team that doesn't let me down.

😬😬😬

Great header by Robertson though!

Hard to argue with whats been said.
There is no shame in losing but when you give up a 6 goal lead against an injury depleted side who is in the bottom 4 teams in the comp there are no excuses. Hill needs to pull his ******* finger out. So many players just gave up after quarter time and it was painful to watch. Hopefully the boys feel like s**t because thats the 2nd time this year we were comfortably the better side and then just stopped and let a big lead slip.
Not good enough.

Observations.

1. Marshall is tired and got beaten by the Darcy and Lobb tag team, Darcy/Lobb also kicked a goal each.. Ryder could have been handy today.

2. We don’t win enough clean ball in contest/clearance, a lot of rushed kicks forward, need another contested ball winner in there and win the ball first.

3. Need another runner/mid in the forward line and offer a genuine goal threat.. Marsh out, parker or Sinclair in.

4. Need more runners in the midfield Billings is not a running/bounce wingman, need to get Hill in the game, then add another player who can carry the ball..
Why is marshall tired? Last week he wasn’t. We had a 9 day break. Why can’t it be as simple as he played poorly and was beaten. Our problem was we stopped working hard. We lacked run.

The whole team went on holidays in Noosa once the first quarter was over. I think though that Ratts needs to rebuild his midfield- Freo still had more centre clearances than us in the first quarter, and our midfield's lack of consistency cost us dearly as it did in the North game and Collingwood game, and once your midfield is getting flogged, game over.
Ratts mentioned how easy the ball got out of our forward line on many occasions, so obviously not enough defensive pressure from the forwards. King had many marking opportunities yesterday but couldn't hold them on a fine dry day, and I think he just needs to build up the body and will get better. Hard to knock the younger guys, but the more experienced players let us down big time- and they are the ones who should be setting the example.
I hope Ratts swings the axe at the selection table as a wake-up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole team went on holidays in Noosa once the first quarter was over. I think though that Ratts needs to rebuild his midfield- Freo still had more centre clearances than us in the first quarter, and our midfield's lack of consistency cost us dearly as it did in the North game and Collingwood game, and once your midfield is getting flogged, game over.
Ratts mentioned how easy the ball got out of our forward line on many occasions, so obviously not enough defensive pressure from the forwards. King had many marking opportunities yesterday but couldn't hold them on a fine dry day, and I think he just needs to build up the body and will get better. Hard to knock the younger guys, but the more experienced players let us down big time- and they are the ones who should be setting the example.
I hope Ratts swings the axe at the selection table as a wake-up
Or he could trust the side for another week. Can’t see to many changes. Well I hope not.

Our best is very good. Its improved out of sight. Like a red hot knife through butter.

Or worst has remained as per richo. Probably susceptible to being cut open on the turn over.

We have no middle ground and or worst hasn't improved.

I suspect the lack of defensive running means we might get more results like we had against the pies vs rhe very top sides.
If we played that first quarter today agaisnt a top side, then I think we would have kept our pressure and intensity up throughout the game. But because Freo are a lower side, we thought the job was done and thats what caused the issue.

Im more nervous about us against the mid-low sides than I am about us playing the top teams.

But we also aren't good away from Marvel which will be the killer this year.

So....
The morning after, had plenty of time to reflect, read 31 pages of pain, opinion and absolute anger
And you know what...

giphy (75).gif

If they think im driving to Adeliade oval next week (only 120 km round trip) theyve got another thing coming
They can fair and square shove it up their clacker

Been a long time since ive seen s**t like that and ive been watching since the second half of the 80s ffs

FMD

Soon as the over lap is stopped we are like deer in the headlights

giphy (47).gif

They dont deserve my presence at next weeks game

Pathetic heartless clueless and God damn it no bleeding for our jumper
Imagine that lot in the first 2010 GF
Wouldve capitulated and shat the bed, wouldve been no hayes or bj busting a gut and dragging us to the line from this lot

******* pea hearts

giphy (76).gif

Can someone explain to me Marsh starting centre bounces? I don't mind what Marsh brings up forward but honestly is he a midfielder? Would actually prefer to throw Lonie in there, he has proven himself as a mid at VFL level at least. Also Kent was said to be after midfield minutes. Ok maybe neither are going to be great mids bit if we are chucking Marsh in there then what the hell?

Cerra and Brayshaw killed us today. They are kids. Our midfield needs so much work, need to get a look at the likes of Bytel and Byrnes soon.

Honestly I'd drop Hill. He was dead set pathetic today strolling around like it was a park game against mates. No one expects him to be an inside mid but he does need to put his body on the line. He needs a wake up call.

It’s something they’ve tried in match simulation with Marsh .

Problem we are gonna have in coming weeks is we got a soft draw initially. Weve faced many of those out of finals.

Not many easy games past Adelaide.

To come:
Port
Geelong
Wce
Essendon
Hawthorn
GWS
Brisbane
Melbourne

Maybe the easier ones:
GC
Sydney

Adelaide will beat us nothing will change whilst we deny playing a kid in the team each week.
We had fantastic opportunity this year losing to North & Fremantle unforgivable.

What I do find interesting under lethlean and the banker is what happened with the likes of Hickey, Bruce and Acres.

They're obviously prepared to move on the pieces they see as inconsistent.

We've also seen some of the older types lose their position in Webster and Savage.

We've also been pretty damn blunt about the need to improve club culture and how bringing in someone like Hanners was an attempt at trying to address it. With also been trying to bring in as many people as possible from successful club environments. Roughy to Slater to the Wallaby I forget.

It makes me wonder if they will hit the same point with some of the more mature players like say a Dunstan and Ross. I.e. will they hit a point and make a hard call on if they will be part of the group that takes this club forward.

Problem I see is they will need to find replacements before they can just move them on. Finding inside mids. Especially match winning ones is very hard to do. Clubs hang onto them. Outside types or injury prone types are easy to get. The real difficulty is finding someone to drive the engine of your team.

In hindsight you'd have played Savage as a wingman and got just as much as Hill is giving. Dougal isn't any better than Battle and Carlisle IMO either. We really needed mids and went after less necessary pieces of the puzzle. When I look at it our list still looks a long way off if I was to be honest with myself.

Last edited:
I think overall, those changes would make us a worse side.
Ah obviously I need to be more specific - I've offered my changes so your thoughts on what changes if any, you'd make to the team for next weeks game.

PS
Marsh had 3 possessions - so I reckon a half fit one legged Parker has him covered easily.

Ross a nine year veteran of the club and a full time mid and supposedly a leader, one to be counted on when the chips are down, didn't offer a a squawk and finished with 12 possessions - Byrnes will at least try.

Long will be suspended for 3 weeks so Webster is a logical inclusion.

Paton is turning the ball over to often so some else needs a look in - lets see what Bytel looks like because without some good mids we are going nowhere.

we stopped running... not saying it's an excuse but we looked cooked from the heat. Though we also weren't cracking in, which the heat has little to do with. For me the biggest let down re Hill is his attack on the ball. I know he's not meant to be a contested ball winning mid but there was one incident in particular where there was a player coming the other way and instead of going for it he took a short step and threw out a hand, it wasn't good enough. But the main thing with Hill is we need to figure out how to use him better, we need to get him on the end of more handball chains going inside 50 so he can hit up targets like he did membrey directly in front. Once we get that right from a coaching perspective we'll be very happy we snagged him.

as for the game it's hard to pin it on any one player. Our captain, Callum Wilkie, was solid. Hopefully a few boys will get their chance next week to cement a spot in the team.

I can handle being outclassed. We still have an ordinary bottom 6 list. What I hate is lack of effort and pride. No-one stood up yesterday when it got hard. Wilkie was the only player that looked like he was going at full intensity for the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back