1.05pm AEDT, Reid Oval (Warrnambool)
7mate (VIC, QLD)

Richmond vs Gold Coast
3.05pm AEDT, Ikon Park
7mate (VIC, QLD)

Fremantle vs North Melb.
2.05pm AWST, Fremantle Oval
7mate (WA)

You could hardly ask for a better collection of match-ups. The potential of key players sitting out for Collingwood and Fremantle dampens things a bit, although spirits should nevertheless be high among both camps after pretty good wins last week.

I suspect we'll see responses from the Bulldogs and Giants this week, sniffing their first wins of the season. Carlton's 5-point win last week against Sydney doesn't suggest they're exactly gathering momentum, probably vulnerable this week.

Not sure where Richmond are at... injuries + complacency they can't seem to shake, makes it hard to see them beating a team that scraps more and better than Fremantle--if so, look for the Tigers R10 game vs the Pies as a must-win for finals. If the Suns wins this, it means they'll have beaten 5th, 6th and 8th from last season, and a subsequent top 8 finish would feel deserved (especially considering no Howarth).

And we must make mention of what is highly likely to be the Grand Final Preview between the Demons and the Crows, except this encounter shall take place at the Killing Fields, whereas they are destined to reconvene on a December afternoon in North Melbourne East. While the surprise summer weather in Melbourne was short-lived, it still looks like we're going to get near ideal playing conditions this weekend.

Last edited:
I'm thinking now this is where we're headed. Games in amber are the tricky ones, mostly involving Richmond and Collingwood.

ClubCurrent W-LRound 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Projected W-L
Melbourne5-0W v AdelW v WCEW v NMW v FremW v BL10-0 (1st)
Adelaide5-0L v MelbW v WBW v BLW v NMW v WCE9-1 (2nd)
North Melb.4-1W v FremW v PAL v MelbL v AdelW v WB7-3 (4th)
Brisbane4-1W v CollW v GCL v AdelW v StKL v Melb7-3 (5th)
Gold Coast3-2W v RichL v BLW v PAW v GWSW v Ess7-3 (6th)
Geelong3-2W v EssW v FremW v CollW v RichW v Haw8-2 (3rd)
Richmond3-2L v GCW v EssW v HawL v GeelW v Coll6-4 (7th)
Carlton3-2W v WBL v CollW v GWSW v EssL v StK6-4 (8th)
Essendon3-2L v GeelL v RichW v WCEL v CarlL v GC4-6
Fremantle3-2L v NML v GeelW v StKL v MelbW v Syd5-5
Collingwood2-3L v BLW v CarlL v GeelW v SydL v Rich4-6
St Kilda2-3W v HawW v GWSL v FremL v BLW v Carl5-5
Sydney2-3W v PAW v HawL v WBL v CollL v Frem4-6

I gave Carlton the win this weekend (despite saying they're probably vulnerable) and balanced it out with a loss at home in R10 against St Kilda. I just hope that if they do make finals, it comes on the back of beating both the Dogs and Pies (having already beaten the Suns, while running Richmond close).

Last edited:

A bleak start by the Bulldogs, to put it gently. Maybe the wind is playing a bigger factor than on first glance. Just seems like no system with the ball movement. Georgostathis with 4 turnovers in d50, I'd have got her out of there after the 2nd and put Fitzgerald near the action.

Although not a statistically dominant* game, I'mma have to say anybody who didn't think Skepper was clear BOG tonight don't know jack about football.

*then again, she did lead the metres gained stat by some distance (btw Edmonds was -20)

Has to be a change surely?? How’s the player development?
Playing 34yo Cranston (4 touches & 2 tackles for the 2nd week in a row) when you're 0-5 is practically giving up on player development. Geelong eventually figured something similar to this out 2 years ago.

But the difference is the Cats, in the season they started 0-8, didn't continually overlook 2 premiership players in their mid-20s (Hunt and Ferres) at the selection table. Hard to explain why those two, and Bateman, haven't played since R2.

Nicola Barr and Katherine Smith... 8th season on an AFLW list for both players, and they start a winnable game (with their team already 0-5) with about 4 pissweak efforts each.

Smacks of them knowing their nice guy coach won't bake them for subpar efforts, but nice don't cut it in this league.

Nicola Barr and Katherine Smith... 8th season on an AFLW list for both players, and they start a winnable game (with their team already 0-5) with about 4 pissweak efforts each.

Smacks of them knowing their nice guy coach won't bake them for subpar efforts, but nice don't cut it in this league.
Katherine Smith is my least favourite person on the entire list, I don't know how she hangs on.

2nd match in a row that a goal or would-be goal has been disallowed because the umpires in this league are *******s who can't count.

Irish players the victims in both cases, keep in mind for the remainder of the weekend.

Well well well, the ultimate test of the Giants' 4th quarter woes incoming. First 3 quarters have been pretty true to form, nervous 20 mins ahead.

West Coast's 4th quarters have been nothing special though, so it'd really be crazy if GWS don't hold on from here.

A reminder that 4-2 Carlton lost to North Melbourne by 60 points, best team the Blues face all season.

Whereas 1-5 GWS lost to North Melbourne by 30 points, only the 3rd best team the Giants faced in the first 5 weeks.

As for the other mob, Confucius says: It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two 3pm starts, ending with two teams coming back into the contest at the same time. Gotta stagger these games better. At worst it should be 1pm, 2pm and 3pm... if there has to be any overlap at all (there doesn't).

I've said a few times over the last five years, but the one player I'd love to see in Royal Blue and White is Anne Hatchard, she was huge today with 32 disposals, 2 goals and 96% game time. Great game.

Interesting turn-up at Casey.
If the Roos comfortably account for Freo and the Lions do the Pies likewise, then we have a genuine 4 way raffle for
the flag.
Tomorrow will, one way or another, sort out the Suns and the Tigers too.

I'd say there's a fair chance Phillips and Houghton will miss next week with suspension, after some uncharacteristic moments of ill-discipline in the forward pocket on the broadcast side in that quarter.

I'd say there's a fair chance Phillips and Houghton will miss next week with suspension, after some uncharacteristic moments of ill-discipline in the forward pocket on the broadcast side in that quarter.
Cockatoo-Motlap may join them.

Both teams were hopped up on the red cordial or something, very little method to the madness going on in that match. The equivalent of putting on a fireworks display in broad daylight. Maybe not as aesthetically pleasing as it could have been with a little more thought applied, but still a lively experience.

Saints are going nowhere fast
Hawks didn't turn up for 3 quarters and nearly pinched it - and the hawks aren't much chop
Lol they played 1 down after 5 minutes, maybe that had a bit to do with it.

Hawthorn's first 3 quarters were a far truer representation of how they've played this season.

Saints are going nowhere fast
Hawks didn't turn up for 3 quarters and nearly pinched it - and the hawks aren't much chop
Despite the fourth quarter fade-out I'd suggest the Saints are heading in a positive direction, especially after starting the season 0-3. I don't think they will make the finals, but they have played some nice footy over the last few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back