Preview Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Thursday 18 April, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The club stated following the sacking of Ratten that there had been too much of a focus on short term needs, over long term building for success. 18 months on, it is really important and good to see that this is being followed through on, to this point.

While the optimism of youth can be a dangerous trick, I really do think we have got a large volume of players to build around now. Lyon declared 2023 a year of exploration. Somewhat due to injury, 2024 is becoming the same. This is a good thing. We aren't a top four team this year. We probably won't be next year. If we can become top four while Marshall, Wilkie, Steele and Sinclair are still their peak, that'd be ideal, but the real priority has to be around long term sustained success.

King, Sharman, Henry, Byrnes, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Windhager, Phillipou, Caminiti, Wilson & Garcia. There's eleven that I think we've seen enough to know that they're the real deal. Obviously to varying extents (Byrnes a role type). Early on Garcia, but his debut passed the eye and stat test. Can't wait to see more of him.

Hopefully Collard, Schoenmaker and Hastie we see showing a bit at the top level too this year. Schoenmaker to the eye looks like a really safe and likely type to transition well. Collard has the higher ceiling but lower floor.

Win or lose this week, I think we are well placed moving forward. Invest in these kids and hopefully reap rewards later.

Ah kinda feels like they might just overpower us in this one, particularly without max, but we’ll see.

Will be there either way, hoping we can get some efficiency going forward.

The club stated following the sacking of Ratten that there had been too much of a focus on short term needs, over long term building for success. 18 months on, it is really important and good to see that this is being followed through on, to this point.

While the optimism of youth can be a dangerous trick, I really do think we have got a large volume of players to build around now. Lyon declared 2023 a year of exploration. Somewhat due to injury, 2024 is becoming the same. This is a good thing. We aren't a top four team this year. We probably won't be next year. If we can become top four while Marshall, Wilkie, Steele and Sinclair are still their peak, that'd be ideal, but the real priority has to be around long term sustained success.

King, Sharman, Henry, Byrnes, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Windhager, Phillipou, Caminiti, Wilson & Garcia. There's eleven that I think we've seen enough to know that they're the real deal. Obviously to varying extents (Byrnes a role type). Early on Garcia, but his debut passed the eye and stat test. Can't wait to see more of him.

Hopefully Collard, Schoenmaker and Hastie we see showing a bit at the top level too this year. Schoenmaker to the eye looks like a really safe and likely type to transition well. Collard has the higher ceiling but lower floor.

Win or lose this week, I think we are well placed moving forward. Invest in these kids and hopefully reap rewards later.
Good post.
Personally from the very small sample size l think Hastie is gonna be a very good player also. If we can get over the number of injuries then the Saints and Zebs will both step up a notch.
Still, we can't rely on kids alone.

Reckon shoey might be a chance for the sub role. Played a very good game in the twos. His kicking looks as good as nas’. Almost 😅
Yep, he looks ready any time we need him. I think he looks like he reads the play very well, seems to be in the right spots.

I agree. Expect us to be a finals side the next couple of years given a half decent run with injury. Keep playing kids.

This year has the potential to get pretty ugly IMO. We are not playing well. Doggies poor last week, but on paper they could really get us. We won't beat Port, so 2-5 looks likely.

Hard to get confidence/momentum from there. Media bashing will be next level by round 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be too good for the Dogs. Libba is a massive loss for them.

Yeah he's been their best midfielder this year along with Bontempelli and he is arguably a bigger loss for them than Crouch has been for us.

We should at least be able to break even in the midfield now and should win it if Marshall can dominate English like Goldstein and Draper did.

Huge chance for Marshall to smash English round the ground
IF Naughton starts kicking straight…they’re on …
It’ll be about our ability to hurt them on turnovers and inside 50 entries ….and kick straight… Im confident our defence can shut them down IF there is mid pressure upfield

It’ll be about our ability to hurt them on turnovers and inside 50 entries ….and kick straight… Im confident our defence can shut them down IF there is mid pressure upfield

And to not present them with "gift" turnovers as well.

We helped GWS rip us apart in the first half with way too many kicks that turned over the ball.

Some were just miskicks (over heads etc). But many were to stationary team mates (ie Wilkies short pass) which just allowed GWS players to sprint in and intercept. Which was just dumb football. Unless a player is in vast space you cannot just kick it straight to him, you have to kick so he has to run to it.

If we do this again then we might help to get the Dogs on a roll, and if they get rolling they will be dangerous.

Last edited:

We helped GWS rip us apart in the first half with way too many kicks that turned over the ball.

Some were just miskicks (over heads etc). But many were to stationary team mates (ie Wikies short pass) which just allowed GWS players to sprint in and intercept. Which was just dumb football. Unless a player is in vast space you cannot just kick it straight to him, you have to kick so he has to run to it.

If we do this again then we might help to get the Dogs on a roll, and if they get rolling they will be dangerous.
Not to mention Mitch’s spectacular mark and equally spectacular stuff up immediately after.

So many shockers.

Some were just miskicks (over heads etc). But many were to stationary team mates (ie Wikies short pass) which just allowed GWS players to sprint in and intercept. Which was just dumb football. Unless a player is in vast space you cannot just kick it straight to him, you have to kick so he has to run to it.

Actually good point
Must say I hadn’t seen that poor a handball game from us for a long while
ALWAYS backward/behind the player …was frustrating
Someone fell Hill ….less than 2 changers this week …think he had 4/5 in one stretch
It would show maturity to put a side away under pressure

Short and sharp hour long session today. Good to see all the forwards out there doing extra goalkicking practice beforehand. Butler and Higgo still with their struggles on a set shot. I feel like I'm turning into a grumpy old man but still seeing too many Hollywood shots from the boundary at the end of each little session, especially when set shots from 40 directly in front are being missed.

No sign of Max, Steele, Hayes, TC. Garcia is an animal, taken a leaf out of Darcy Wilson's book, first in each group - setting very high standards. Love to see it, I'm expecting a full game from him on Thursday. Conversely, Hastie seems like he is auditioning for a remake of the remake of Point Break, nothing wrong with that, Hugo is just an animal!

Windy trained really well, very clean, focused, driven, dynamic. Poor bloke copped a bad bounce from a Hill miskick right in the jatz crackers, Hilly could not stop laughing, got to love it. I used to be so unfairly critical of Hill, but God I love him. Such a brilliant influence on the entire group, hard trainer but equally always has me laughing from the side with his antics. Hill and Wilks have such a great balance of take no s**t and take the piss, great club men.

This week may be too soon for Dow but he got through the session and looked really good. Dougs bundled him over accidently in a drill, he got up straight away, good signs. Skills in close on display and a real nice shot for goal. Can't wait to see him in the ones.

Matteas trained really well, it's so easy to mark him harshly but he's just a baby in footy terms. He's a big boy, his kicking for goal was as good as anyone's today. I don't know what a breakout game is like for someone like him but it's going to happen very soon.

Great to see Wood out there, we miss him so much. Clark, Pato and Wood working hard with ball away from main group.

Collard trained fully, so hammie must be fine.

Sharman back with forwards, hopefully he stays there - especially with King out.

Henry and Allison putting plenty of kms into their legs. I just want to get lucky with some wins so we can be in a decent position to launch when some of these guys come back.

Happy to answer any questions, the boys looked sharp in perfect conditions. I'm cautiously optimistic.

This week may be too soon for Dow but he got through the session and looked really good. Dougs bundled him over accidently in a drill, he got up straight away, good signs. Skills in close on display and a real nice shot for goal. Can't wait to see him in the ones.
Seems like every training session Dougal attempts to take out a teammate.

Short and sharp hour long session today. Good to see all the forwards out there doing extra goalkicking practice beforehand. Butler and Higgo still with their struggles on a set shot. I feel like I'm turning into a grumpy old man but still seeing too many Hollywood shots from the boundary at the end of each little session, especially when set shots from 40 directly in front are being missed.

No sign of Max, Steele, Hayes, TC. Garcia is an animal, taken a leaf out of Darcy Wilson's book, first in each group - setting very high standards. Love to see it, I'm expecting a full game from him on Thursday. Conversely, Hastie seems like he is auditioning for a remake of the remake of Point Break, nothing wrong with that, Hugo is just an animal!

Windy trained really well, very clean, focused, driven, dynamic. Poor bloke copped a bad bounce from a Hill miskick right in the jatz crackers, Hilly could not stop laughing, got to love it. I used to be so unfairly critical of Hill, but God I love him. Such a brilliant influence on the entire group, hard trainer but equally always has me laughing from the side with his antics. Hill and Wilks have such a great balance of take no s**t and take the piss, great club men.

Matteas trained really well, it's so easy to mark him harshly but he's just a baby in footy terms. He's a big boy, his kicking for goal was as good as anyone's today. I don't know what a breakout game is like for someone like him but it's going to happen very soon.

Great to see Wood out there, we miss him so much. Clark, Pato and Wood working hard with ball away from main group.

Collard trained fully, so hammie must be fine.

Sharman back with forwards, hopefully he stays there - especially with King out.

Henry and Allison putting plenty of kms into their legs. I just want to get lucky with some wins so we can be in a decent position to launch when some of these guys come back.

Happy to answer any questions, the boys looked sharp in perfect conditions. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Great report. Thanks.

So if no Max, which now seems likely, which way will the selectors go?

1/ Caminiti, Sharman and Membrey - Seems the most likely
2/ Bring in Hayes - He might be a little rusty though. Both Sincs and Butler have had slow returns after so little match practice prior.
3/ Cordy up front and Howard at FB. - Again Howard lacks match practice, and Cordy has been pretty solid down back so far.

Will the selectors lose patience with Butler? We know he can do it, but has had two very quiet games after one ok one.

Garcia would be a chance to come in as he impressive one third of a game. Or do they revert to Jones. I favour our future over our past. Plus Garcia's defensive side of his game was very good. We need to keep the Dog's under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back