Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy is praying for rain. Reckons he is a wet tracker. Go the Bullants.
Quinlan and Paddy set to dominate. Most potent forward line in Under 8’s football and both Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions supporters!

Quinlan and Paddy set to dominate. Most potent forward line in Under 8’s football and both Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions supporters!
Then when they rotate zones, the most potent midfield.

By God that was satisfying.

- I wouldn't think Hippy would be in trouble for that high? (just a fine hopefully?)
- Hippy is coming along nicely! Feels like at the start of the year he was a bit gun shy, not going for some booming kicks. Now he looks more settled and has more physicality which is awesome.
- Gardiner looks to have finally settled
- That goal by Zorko! Hopefully kick-starts his attacking game this year, his pressure has been awesome so it will be good when it all comes together
-Good crowd atmosphere it seemed!

I was at the in-laws for dinner so didn't get to watch intently and couldn't yell expletives. I didn't notice the one sided umpiring but that happens with casual observing. Glad we got the win, I was pretty uninspired by the second quarter. It was like we used up all the skill in the first quarter. It's good that we can grind out these wins that we usually would have lost but against an in-form team if we convert like that we're done for.

Going to call on the video review?
No, but I’m bringing back the theatrical, back bending, arm pumping, 1970’s goal umpiring style. Might even run on and report someone.

Glad we won but oh my god our defence needs serious work. Felt like we conceeded a score almost every time they went in there.

Harris back will help immensely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad we won but oh my god our defence needs serious work. Felt like we conceeded a score almost every time they went in there.

Harris back will help immensely
So true, with Lester and Hodge we are slow and both Gardiner and Walker were below their best today.

I went for the Fab5 of-

Hodge- The general, was superb tonight cleaning up and directing traffic.
McCluggage- Silk again tonight, come on Clugga join the Berry boys and sign an extension...... please!
Neale- The engine of our side.
Rich- Career best form, in AA and B&F winning form.
Gardiner- Back to his best tonight, fantastic player and still improving.

IMO opinion with Harris Andrews in tonight that 2nd quarter wouldn't have panned out that way, he would have come over the top and spoiled those marks. Also a good sign of improvement in that quarter was that we managed to scrag a couple of goals, last couple of seasons probably wouldn't have happened.

5-2 baby!

The final quarter was epic. We kept the ball in their half almost the entire time, then kicked a couple of killer goals to seal it. At half time I thought we were on for disappointment. I was expecting a close loss with some of those easy misses coming back to haunt us. Thankfully that didn't happen. We scrapped and fought and earned that win big time.

So true, with Lester and Hodge we are slow and both Gardiner and Walker were below their best today.
Gardiner was great tonight and Walker took some clutch marks.

4 tackles between Witho (2) , Lester (1) , Hodge (1) and Walker (0) it is a worry that we struggle to lay tackles in the backline. Too many times you see players run through us.
Time in our defensive half would have a lot to do with those numbers though. We trapped the ball in our forward half a lot, which means the defenders aren’t around the contest all that often.

I reckon Witho’s lack of speed (particularly when fatigued) gets overlooked too.

FWIW, I thought Gardiner was excellent.

Time in our defensive half would have a lot to do with those numbers though. We trapped the ball in our forward half a lot, which means the defenders aren’t around the contest all that often.
It is not the big guys killing us its the mid size forwards who mark and kick goals.
Pappley 4 goals tonight best was 2 goals this year same as Mihocek. Then McDonald-Tipungwuti 7.
You can see a problem fast quick goal kickers against our slower defenders

We really need to learn how to put teams away early, a better team than Sydney would have weathered the storm then destroyed us. Our one saving grace though is our ability to see games out and fight until the bitter end.

Overall, a very frustrating game, but glad to get the chocolates (literally, I'm finishing off my Easter chocolate tonight).

From the time McStay kicked that goal at q2 siren he was huge for us. He looked so assured in last 2 quarters out there, to the point when he was in a contest we were winning it most of the time. Picture of total confidence in rainy conditions, great q3 and 4 from McStay.

Back