Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit slack this week, but here are CD Tables thanks again to Garibaldi Red.

Plenty of Red for Port players plenty of Green for Brisbane players. The top 4 ranked players were my top 4 just in different order.

Port Xscore 60 v Actual 44, we had plenty of bad misses in the last quarter kicked 2.6, Fantasia's goal touched.
Bris Xscore 99 v Actual 93.

Marks I50 was 14 all but like inside 50's, Brisbane was more efficient.
* We kicked 4.5, two were passes to get to Ollie who marked 45m out and kicked a pt in 1st qtr, Robbie OOTF early in 4th qtr and two did not make distance.
* Brisbane kicked 6.4, two were passes and two did not score including Danihers kick after the siren in 1st qtr.

Brisbane scored a goal with less than 40 seconds to go in the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarter.

Frees inside 50 were 1 all, Charlie kicked a point from 25m straight out in the 2nd quarter, McCarthy kicked a point for Brisbane from 40m out and was the next score after Charlie's point.

Pressure index indicates a low keepings off low pressure type game in the first quarter. In the call of the game we were 144 early in the first quarter almost end of the scale and ended up 148 to Brisbane's 146 who were about 169 when we were 144. Ok found it, this was the screen shot, more than half the quarter had been played.

1620198253891.png
1620198279038.png

The ball spent 53% of the time in our half but Brisbane controlled the ball 44% of the game to our 37%.

Lycett attended 50 ruck contests got 23 taps 4 to advantage, Charlie 21, 10 and 3 gets 33 hitouts and 7 adv
McInerney attended 46 ruck contests got 20 taps 7 to advantage, Daniher 22, 4 and 1, gets the 24 hitouts 8 adv

To show how badly we used the ball here are the kicking efficiency stats to compare to disposal efficiency stats. We overhandballed 158 v 125 and that makes our disposal efficiency stats look better ie 72% to 66%.

Wines 15 kicks 6 effective = 40%
Houston 10 kicks 4 effective = 40%
Drew 12 kicks 7 effective = 58.3%
Dixon 6 kicks 1 effective = 16.6%
Fantasia 3 kicks 1 effective = 33.3%
DBJ...... 5 kicks 2 effective = 40%
Amon 14 kicks 8 effective = 57.1%
Gray 10 kcks 5 effective = 50%
Lycett 7 kicks 4 effective = 57.1%

These 9 players had 82 kicks 38 effective = 46.3%

80% kicking efficiency players are backline players chipping the ball around a lot;
Jonas 14/15, Aliir 11/12, Clurey 6/7, Bergman 12/15,
and a few forwards who got it a few times;
Georgi 4/5, Marshall 4/5, Rozee 8/10

1620189414997.png

1620189473481.png

Last edited:
The early morning flight thing is just an excuse. We navigated that scenario many times last year with great success and the club actually took pride in the fact that they didn't complain about it. No excuses.
Can’t subscribe to this. Little bit different this year...the boys looked spent from the get go.

Wines made 11 clangers for the game and 4 were in the first quarter. That's why he got about -4 ratings points for that quarter.

The algorithm punishes clangers and ineffective disposals or less than standard disposals eg misses a set shot for goal from 10m out. I looked at his 10 x 1st quarter disposals last night

1st Bounce down and Centre Clearance of game - bombs the ball 45m wide of and over Charlie's head and Andrews drifts back and marks uncontested. CLANGER

18.37 on the wing Ollie marks plays on around man on the stand, and shanks the ball up the line and down Birchall's throat who is in front of Fantasia. CLANGER

16.44 Centre Clearance handball to Houston who then handballs to Bergman.

15.34 Centre bounce down Lycett handballs into space Wines gets loose ball then handballs into space, Robinson gets to ball first but Houston tackles him and ball spills to SPP who bangs it towards Charlie. Then comes the Hartlett 50m penalty play.

13.40 Handball to DBJ

10.45 Takes a mark 45m out from goal 45 degree angle, kicks from 50m and kicks a point.

10.14 Handball to SPP, who is tackled as grabs it, spills out, Drew picks up loose ball and kicks it.

4.22 Left hand handball straight to Lester as is about to be bumped, Lester runs forward kicks long off hands and a point. CLANGER

2.19 Gets a handball from Drew inside centre square 5m from CHF square line bit right of centre, goes for 20m chip kick to a free Charlie, kicks it right over his head, and Harris about 7m behind Charlie stretches and takes an intercept mark running backwards. CLANGER

0.58 takes a mark on defensive side of camera side wing, kicks the ball up the line to a pack, Charlie and Andrews running towards pack and Andrews with better balance and strength takes an uncontested intercept mark, as nudges Charlie a bit, and Charlie loses his balance. Not a clanger but an ineffective kick.

Edit of his 5 effective disposals, 4 were handballs, 1 was a kick.

He had 3 Clangers were kicks, 1 ineffective kick and 1 clanger handball.

Last edited:

Just had a look at the draw. I actually don't think we'll have any idea whether we're good enough until (if) we make the finals, and hence the whole season to me is going to feel like we're biding time. Just thinking about it this way is disheartening. I've always believed that sides that are the real deal type of serious contenders are able to chalk up one or two wins against serious contenders at the oppostion's home ground. And/or put in a performance where although they're struggling they still really tough it out so in the end it becomes a close loss against the contender, interstate. We may have to wait until the last minor round game against WB (and if we're able to beat them at Marvel) to get an inkling that we're good enough. All the current challengers we play at Adelaide Oval and unless we start dismantling these sides there, I won't even entertain that we're a definite premiership threat.

Regarding tonight's game, to me it looked like we definitely lacked the energy needed right from the start. Even the commentators mentioned that the intensity of the game was low which was shown in the graphic they put up. Not sure why this happens but it seemed like a similar mindset for the WC game and even the start of last week's game. It makes me question whether both players and coaches are up to it, to become a premiership team.
Agree 100%. Unfortunately last years form is looking way better than 2021. We have been called ruthless by some TV commentators this year. Well toothless would be a better description of 2 out of 7 games so far. A very immature performance that leaves me with no confidence that we are ready to take on the big boys.

Wines made 11 clangers for the game and 4 were in the first quarter. That's why he got about -4 ratings points for that quarter.

The algorithm punishes clangers and ineffective disposals or less than standard disposals eg misses a set shot for goal from 10m out. I looked at his 10 x 1st quarter disposals last night

1st Bounce down and Centre Clearance of game - bombs the ball 45m wide of and over Charlie's head and Andrews drifts back and marks uncontested. CLANGER

18.37 on the wing Ollie marks plays on around man on the stand, and shanks the ball up the line and down Birchall's throat who is in front of Fantasia. CLANGER

16.44 Centre Clearance handball to Houston who then handballs to Bergman.

15.34 Centre bounce down Lycett handballs into space Wines gets loose ball then handballs into space, Robinson gets to ball first but Houston tackles him and ball spills to SPP who bangs it towards Charlie. Then comes the Hartlett 50m penalty play.

13.40 Handball to DBJ

10.45 Takes a mark 45m out from goal 45 degree angle, kicks from 50m and kicks a point.

10.14 Handball to SPP, who is tackled as grabs it, spills out, Drew picks up loose ball and kicks it.

4.22 Left hand handball straight to Lester as is about to be bumped, Lester runs forward kicks long off hands and a point. CLANGER

2.19 Gets a handball from Drew inside centre square 5m from CHF square line bit right of centre, goes for 20m chip kick to a free Charlie, kicks it right over his head, and Harris about 7m behind Charlie stretches and takes an intercept mark running backwards. CLANGER

0.58 takes a mark on defensive side of camera side wing, kicks the ball up the line to a pack, Charlie and Andrews running towards pack and Andrews with better balance and strength takes an uncontested intercept mark, as nudges Charlie a bit, and Charlie loses his balance. Not a clanger but an ineffective kick.

Edit of his 5 effective disposals, 4 were handballs, 1 was a kick.

He had 3 Clangers were kicks, 1 ineffective kick and 1 clanger handball.
Wines first qtr was a shocker. Big reason we were out of the game by qtr time imo. Midfield needs more polish.

Dogs were a flash in the umpire assisted pan, Richmond are the real deal.
Geelong says "hello"

Actually by the time we reach the last few rounds Geelong will be done & dusted IMO. I have no idea who the GF favorites are at this stage, this season is so dyslexic! The only two consistent teams are Melbourne & the Bulldogs, and even on those two teams I am not completely sold. I have a hunch that we wont have any clear front-runner until we reach the last few games of the season. It is going to continue to throw in upsets that turn things upside down.

It is anyone's at this point.

Wines first qtr was a shocker. Big reason we were out of the game by qtr time imo. Midfield needs more polish.
What we desperately need is a well rounded midfielder.

ATM we have ball winners and ball users but no one who can reliably do both.

We need Bergman or Rozee (or Amon or Farrell) to become a ball winner to take the next step.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

What we desperately need is a well rounded midfielder.

ATM we have ball winners and ball users but no one who can reliably do both.

We need Bergman or Rozee (or Amon or Farrell) to become a ball winner to take the next step.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Badly missing Butters. He has everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back