Review Round 7, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham Zebras, 12 May 2024, 2.05pm @ Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve

Remove this Banner Ad

To almost lose when 43 points up is bad. Poor effort from half-way through the second when we shut up shop and played bruise free football. One of the few games where the Box Hill boys didn’t play well. We were very lucky that Lance Collard lost his mind, and that Stu Horner kicked a massive goal from 45. Shout out to Callum Brown who was immense in the second half.

Ward: our best 4 quarter player. His contested work needs some refinement but he racked up the ball, used it very well, and ran hard to provide an option. Should back himself to nail the 40+ kicks more.

CJ: very eye catching with his marking and run. Kicking into 50 was delightful. A few rusty moments and only played three quarters.

Ramsden: one of the few players to really fight in that last quarter, throwing himself at the contest. Kicked 2.2. Gets his hands to the ball a lot.

Ryan: really growing as a player, some very critical defensive efforts in the last. With a bigger tank I think he’ll be a gem.

Bennetts: great as a link player that also pressures. Wasn’t as involved this game as others.

Phillips: did what he needed to do deepest.

BMac: tried to create with his runs (no one could catch him) but thought he was poor defensively today.

Stephens: started well then was invisible for 2.5 quarters.

Wingard: chased hard but didn’t have a real impact. Played the full match.

DGB: had two good contests early then didn’t do anything. Moved forward in the last and was ineffectual.

Tucker: has really good ruck craft and does some very nice things. But he lacks strength, a tank, and the ability to play forward. Very much a project player.

I just get the feeling CJ has been playing injured the last couple of years, I'd just about written him off, but he seems to have rekindled those amazing athletic abilities once again. Hopefully, he can transfer them straight to the Hawks HB line.
Wingard had a tough day, seems to me still not fully confident in the achilles... will take time.
Ward was ok, uses the ball beautifully, but lack of pace is a concern. One of those players that looks too good for the VFL but can't break into the AFL with any confidence.
DGB, lost, just lost. Stupid free kicks, poor disposal, no tank. Not sure what happens, lets give him a mulligan for the first game back. Caminiti tore him a new one, thank goodness he didn't kick straight.
Ramma just OK, but really gave it his all at the end there , again his lack of pace a concern, but you can certainly see good upside for him. Got to get quicker in body, and in mind particularly. Might end up great, the next 18-24 months will decide.
Phillips, I'm not a fan at this stage, decent in the air, but heart in mouth stuff when it hits the ground. Nah.
Bennetts just doesn't do enough.
Bodie Ryan continues to build, he could be a really good pick-up.
Cooper Stephens, will go the way of the Brown brothers at season's end.
Morrison very quiet, might have been injured at the end.

I just get the feeling CJ has been playing injured the last couple of years, I'd just about written him off, but he seems to have rekindled those amazing athletic abilities once again. Hopefully, he can transfer them straight to the Hawks HB line.
Wingard had a tough day, seems to me still not fully confident in the achilles... will take time.
Ward was ok, uses the ball beautifully, but lack of pace is a concern. One of those players that looks too good for the VFL but can't break into the AFL with any confidence.
DGB, lost, just lost. Stupid free kicks, poor disposal, no tank. Not sure what happens, lets give him a mulligan for the first game back. Caminiti tore him a new one, thank goodness he didn't kick straight.
Ramma just OK, but really gave it his all at the end there , again his lack of pace a concern, but you can certainly see good upside for him. Got to get quicker in body, and in mind particularly. Might end up great, the next 18-24 months will decide.
Phillips, I'm not a fan at this stage, decent in the air, but heart in mouth stuff when it hits the ground. Nah.
Bennetts just doesn't do enough.
Bodie Ryan continues to build, he could be a really good pick-up.
Cooper Stephens, will go the way of the Brown brothers at season's end.
Morrison very quiet, might have been injured at the end.
Ward does not lack pace.

Maybe on the track but he doesn't use it enough on the footy field.

Needs to back himself.
He does need to back himself, when he plays with confidence he looks a million dollars. Just needs to break the shackles mentally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephens only ended up with 12 touches after having a hot start to the game. He's having a disappointing season for someone who is playing for his AFL career.
I really thought he was going to smash it today with the start he had…. 4 quarters of that would have been great for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back