Preview Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Friday 26 April, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until he improves all aspects of his kicking he’s going to stagnate. Can’t question his will and desire but his kicking is so far off AFL standard atm. He could be anything if he can sort it out. Big if though imo.
Danger and Cripps are pretty average kicks, Mitch looks another contested bull who can win the ball and shovel it out.

Well said Stavro, although you are an unashamed fan and come across a bit weird in your support for RL, you have articulated well a point I agree with.

The fans who have been ultra quick to jump off Ross just highlight the game is designed for a Trump type circus more than ever.

I said it from day one on RLs return, what magic wand had RL found, what magic trick has he found that nooooooo other coach in the competition has been able to find...ever!

Most saw that as an attack on Ross himself which couldn't be further from the truth, and as much as I tried to be clear about my point, it just was not possible to cut through the Trumpism.

The point is, you can have the best coach the game has ever seen, but without talent, you are a feather duster. Moreover, my skeptism, was, AND STILL IS, all about the club itself and the ability for it to overcome a 150 culture. What magic trick have we found that will now all of a sudden procure the required amount of talent to make us successful and relevant?

Ross doesn't have that trick, he's a great coach but he's faced with the same massive challenges all clubs except GCS & GWS have with talent procurement. But it's a supercharged challenge at a poor club like ours that can't find a way to use the word "successful" in its vocabulary.

If we can get away from the Messiah culture, which I don't think we can due to Trumpism, then coaches like Ross are really up against it. For Ross to have any chance of procuring said talent he will need at least 10 years just like Scott was afforded at Geelong to win his first flag, (the 2011 flag was Bombers). That is the only way forward if we are a fighting chance.

Replace the word Ross in all of the above with the coach of your choice if it helps you comprehend the point about the solution being a long term plan.

At least with RTB we are cutting to the core and realising where the deficiencies lie. No more “why not us? (Rat)” Or “I guess it’s about what we did well, not so well and what we need to improve (cho)”. There’s a much clearer vision under RTB 2.0 to get to where we need to be, unlike the last 15 years.

At least with RTB we are cutting to the core and realising where the deficiencies lie. No more “why not us? (Rat)” Or “I guess it’s about what we did well, not so well and what we need to improve (cho)”. There’s a much clearer vision under RTB 2.0 to get to where we need to be, unlike the last 15 years.

Yeah, even if it's a s**t plan, at least we seem to have one now. We seemed to be making it up on the fly under Finnis and Lethlean.

Which part is unfair? Being satisfied with yet again having a losing record?

It’s not like we’re doing a rebuild, we’re doing a refresh or whatever you wanna call it.

We’re splitting the difference between playing finals and blooding youth and we still seem to * our selves with injuries every year.

You see a new dawn I see more of the middling same.

I’m glad you’re happy truly but the true believers who keep hanging s**t on the skeptics get real tiresome after nearly 60 years (to be fair the actual True Believer I responded to didn’t actually s**t on anyone so fair play to them)
I don't see anyone hanging s**t on anyone else so I'm not sure what you're referring to unless it's been deleted.
You see the glass as half empty ATM, others see it as half full.
No one is happy with it.

My favourite:

"If you park the 17 minutes of the second quarter where they scored 14 goals it was a very even contest."

Screenshot_20240425-113747_Chrome.jpg

Port have some sore boys. Aliir sore ankle from training this week. JHF hamstring cramping. Boak questionable. Wines sore still. Dixon been sore. Jones sore. We have two extra days rest.

We will be putting in an inexperienced side but I'd really like to see us take it up to them this week. I don't think we should get smashed in this game.
So we’ll only get beat by 6 goals, instead of 10?

I have no doubt we’ll take it up to them, but doubt that lasts very long if the last couple of weeks are anything to go by.

I don't see anyone hanging s**t on anyone else so I'm not sure what you're referring to unless it's been deleted.
You see the glass as half empty ATM, others see it as half full.
No one is happy with it.
I mean we’ve just had a pro Rosser telling people to STFU unless they are willing to head to Linton street and confront him personally. We also get the constant “if you’re not at training you don’t know s**t about gameplan/injuries/etc”.

To anti Ross crew do it too, no one is a perfect victim here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we basing this definitive position lock off two games?

I thought we targeted Henry as a wingman with the view of replacing Hill/Wood down the track.
Of course its not locked in but from what I've seen, half forward is his most damaging position. 15 damaging disposals over 30 junk disposals on the wing any day of the week.

Ideally, Wood's replacement is more a tall winger (thats what we wanted Allison to be but hes s**t). Hills replacement could be Henry, but then what do we do with Wilson? Potentially inside mid but hes still a way off that with his body shape

So we’ll only get beat by 6 goals, instead of 10?

I have no doubt we’ll take it up to them, but doubt that lasts very long if the last couple of weeks are anything to go by.
I'm not trying to be some happy clapper I promise you, don't think everything is peachy by any stretch but two weeks ago we lost to GWS away by a point. If you mean judging by last week yes that's fair, but I think we should be better this week.

I mean we’ve just had a pro Rosser telling people to STFU unless they are willing to head to Linton street and confront him personally. We also get the constant “if you’re not at training you don’t know s**t about gameplan/injuries/etc”.

To anti Ross crew do it too, no one is a perfect victim here
Your regular jousting with stavro always eventually gets silly. Don't let it get to you.
Worst outcome is that one or both of you stop posting your thoughts, and we don't want that to happen.

Food for thought.
RTB sees last week that the group are tired.
Prez gets on the front foot and puts out a fluffy needless "stay strong" letter to members in anticipation of a poor showing.
We play like crap. Very obviously fatigued.
RTB defends the group after the loss baiting the media into his narrative.

Fan base lose their s**t.
RTB and players get back to work.

Think you’ll find the majority of us who had concerns about Ross’ return were mostly centered around whether he’d modernized gamestyle and player management aspects.

For the record I don’t blame Ross for our current situation but he is the head coach and ultimately he will be accountable for it.

Was another thread that people were happily backing him in regardless of anything to see out his full contract, that’s just wild to me personally.

But this is my point, game plans/styles really are extremely similar across the competition. All of the coaches freely admit that and they will tell you the game plans/styles that have some type of difference or innovation are only possible if you have the talent execute. You only have to read some books by coaches to get an understanding of this aspect of their job. Back over Geelongs plan leading up to the 2022 flag, the introduction of Cameron to an already highly talented list allowed Scott to introduce a tweak that could be executed, and that just wouldn't have been possible by almost 16 ish or so other teams...but the extra addition of Cameron's talent made all the difference. Scott freely admits without the talent at his disposal he has nothing

Teams that are young and rebuilding all start put with a heavy focus on defence, these game plans are almost identical, that's where we are at.

T
It must be because I was out of the country and didn't endure the dross that was apparently served up against the Dogs, but I am not that worried. This is not a sprint, development is not linear, and we are thin on talent to begin with, let alone with the injury situation we have presently. I think we will see a marked improvement as soon as we have some more senior bodies back with a couple of runs under their belts.
The combination of factors, not least the ridiculous "FIXture" of the AFL, served us up a perfect storm. It is certainly not ideal that we go this week to Adelaide against a "wounded" Port, both a venue and a team that we have struggled to overcome for a long time. However if in 3 weeks time, we sit 4 and 5, with senior players back and mysteriously playing better footy, how much will the immediate gratification naysayers in here be pissing and moaning?
Nicely put TB, you appear to be squarely in the camp that gets it.

The long journey is well worth a go.

Not having a crack but… what is clearer about the plan this time compared to Watters, Richo & Ratts?

They all seem to have the same rough plan - attract talent, develop a game plan and brand that wins more games than it loses.

We absolutely decimated the list when Ross left last time, just failed at the draft ever since.

Your regular jousting with stavro always eventually gets silly. Don't let it get to you.
Worst outcome is that one or both of you stop posting your thoughts, and we don't want that to happen.
Nothings getting to me just calling the players and the game.

It does seem to me that anyone not guzzling the Kool Aid fully and raising some (generally valid) queries gets howled down by the cult of Ross though. One of those situations where the middle looks hard right to the left etc.

Nicely put TB, you appear to be squarely in the camp that gets it.

The long journey is well worth a go.
And anyone who is a bit sick of the long journey doesn’t get it. It is possible to see the vision and still be frustrated with the lack of execution or direction.

We “get it” we’re just a bit tired of being a laughing stock.

Putting irony aside for a moment, I don't mind the meanies when clarity of thought and I need to open blocked pathways...You should try them sometime, might even come up with some ideas of your own.
Actually, you're too busy cupping your own farts to be eating anything. 😂

This posturing about being a critical thought leader in the footy space should get a run on the comedy festival circuit. It's good stuff!

Firstly not a single saints supporter thinks it’s a sprint but we’re also well past marathon stage at this point. Nearly 60 years without a flag and one finals win in… 12 years? I think being a bit impatient is fair enough.

More to the point you’re gonna be happy with 4-5 a negative ledger. Saints supporters just continue to find new ways to lower the bar.
This is an interesting POV you hear a lot amoungst a certain sector of the fan base.

Taking it to its logical conclusion what does it mean!

Does it acknowledge that success comes from the formula of "the sum of all parts", the biggest part being a coach requiring a critical mass of talent being available to him?

If I accept these key points to be mandatory requirements and also accpet we dont have said critical mass of talent then I find it hard to fit into the logic and any decision making based on impatience and a 60 year time frame, let alone form opinions thst the problem is all on one person, he being a head coach.

It's an antiquated business model and clubs like Geelong, Sydney, AND West Coast Get it...what's the common denominator, they don't sack coaches easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back