Autopsy Round 8 2024 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't adjust as well as the Swans to the rain. Possibly losing Tom Green and the Brown bump may have contributed, but we have to learn to deal with those.

I thought Peatling had a pretty good game overall, too. Disposal wasn't the greatest, but had plenty of the ball, topped our metres gained, and involved in a lot of scores.

Being positive, the worst we'll finish after this round is 4th, and that's only if Melbourne beat Geelong.

So maybe stay in 3rd.

Not sure whether that's a true indication of how well we're going until we play more Top 8 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three contributing factors to the loss:
  • the swans getting their usual run of goals from free kicks at the scg
  • Tom Green going down
  • Picking a team with too many light bodies despite knowing it was gonna rain. Harvey shouldn't have been the sub, needed a Rowston or someone that is contested as cover imo as there were already 3 small forwards in the team + peatling who can also play that role.

• Tom Green going down
  • Picking a team with too many light bodies despite knowing it was gonna rain. Harvey shouldn't have been the sub, needed a Rowston or someone that is contested as cover imo as there were already 3 small forwards in the team + peatling who can also play that role.
Nice. Do generally feel like we’re well equipped with bigger bodies but didn’t show up here. Needs to be an inflection point

There were several factors contributing to to loss. Before Green went down we looked very strong and afterwards we didn't recover.
Some strategic mistakes by continuing playing the handball game in the rain instead of gaining territory.
Overall we were outplayed.
We should come out angry in the return Derby.

• Tom Green going down
I don't disagree, but we never pick our team on conditions or opposition (to my chagrin at times). It was always going to be difficult to bring someone in from outside the Lions win (except for Toby & injury returns). Cogs not getting up and Green going off early was the worst possible combination of circumstances given the conditions and the selected team.

The midfield without Coniglio and Green looked second rate. I’ve loved what Callan Ward has done for this club but he looks off the pace this year. I’d have XO ahead of him at the moment.

Not sure what’s going on with Toby either. He’s only had one decent game all season.

I though Jack Buckley had a good game and saved us from being totally blitzed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back