Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steele and Marshall are no certainties to play. Both hobbled. Our midfield could be the worst ever put out in the AFL era this week. Campbell, Windy and then choose from Stocker, Sincs, Jiones, Ross etc. Windy has played maybe 3 above average midfield games so far. Jones and Ross look cooked. Dow only just got through the VFL. North have a lack of quality tall players but they have lots of mids.

This could be a very ugly match with Lyon locking it down like a prison.

The answer to the question "what is the worst midfield St Kilda ever put on a ground" was this game:

Steele and Marshall are no certainties to play. Both hobbled. Our midfield could be the worst ever put out in the AFL era this week. Campbell, Windy and then choose from Stocker, Sincs, Jiones, Ross etc. Windy has played maybe 3 above average midfield games so far. Jones and Ross look cooked. Dow only just got through the VFL. North have a lack of quality tall players but they have lots of mids.

This could be a very ugly match with Lyon locking it down like a prison.
They will both play.
It's not unusual for sore senior players to not do much on Tuesdays.

They will both play.
It's not unusual for sore senior players to not do much on Tuesdays.

Apparently Steele was walking with a pronounced limp at the VFL match. Marshall is obviously pumped full of pain killer. They'd be crazy to risk damage to both if they are limited.

Apparently Steele was walking with a pronounced limp at the VFL match. Marshall is obviously pumped full of pain killer. They'd be crazy to risk damage to both if they are limited.
Steele had that limp last week too.

Even though they weren't in full training, having them out running laps is a good indicator both are still tracking play.

Exactly why would you risk two of your best players missing more weeks. Finals are gone if there is a risk of doing further damage then play Campbell and Paton then slot Owens into the mids.

If we lose to north could we get some concession picks?!

Probably should have just gone in with the pub test argument to be honest. Everyone you hear thinks it's an excessive penalty compared other similar ones, even this year. Consistency should be the baseline of any system.

It is consistent.
They consistently throw weeks at StKilda players.

It is consistent.
They consistently throw weeks at StKilda players.
And some people are suggesting we tank.

Regardless of how subtly we did it, the AFL would accuse us of it, find us guilty, suspend us for the next 5 seasons and next 10 drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And some people are suggesting we tank.

Regardless of how subtly we did it, the AFL would accuse us of it, find us guilty, suspend us for the next 5 seasons and next 10 drafts.

AFL: StKilda....you are accused of tanking.
Saints: but how? we've been trying hard to win.
AFL: You drafted Paddy McCartin in front of Petracca, and Billings instead of Bont, clearly with future tanking in mind...
Saints: But that makes no sense, screwing up our early picks so we could get early picks in years in the future.
AFL: Makes sense to us.... ( takes another deep puff of reefer ), You are hereby excluded from the next three drafts.
AFL :And if you have not improved in 3 years, we will accuse you of tanking a second time.

Just coming in here because I haven't received enough abuse in my life recently.

I think the Higgins decision was right. I see some comments in here about how decisions like that a ruining the game, but the fact is that Higgins' wrist grip is a move adapted from the grappling martial arts like jiu jitsu and aikido (there's been lots of reporting on this). It's less a traditional part of AFL footy than umpires in flouro outfits. And it hugely increases the chances that someone will end up concussed. In the Higgins case, no martial arts grappling move, no concussed PA player, no suspension.

I heard Matty Allison was in ripping nick in the twos, could we see him debut?

He’s related to North Melbourne royalty so there may be something in that.

Then again, there may be another explanation for your post

nDwX4jO.gif

Anyone got any decent intel on what is happening with Kings knee?

Is he in full training at the moment? Worried that it could be worse than first thought.
Just from the eye test King is fine and was moving freely in full training. Webster is a good to go and as fresh as anyone, I'd be genuinely surprised if he wasn't straight in.

I'm also expecting both Dow and Wood to come in to the side this week.

I think Collard is a big chance simply based on positional needs.

Something tells me Arie might get a game this week. Would mean a lot of changes and Arie might be the least obvious need for this week but I have a feeling he is due.

First time this year we are going to have headaches at the selection table.

Hayes, Steele and Marshall just running, no doubt all 3 are OK but being managed with their training loads.

Henry back in basically full training - love how he plays. Guys like Henry being out there has really brought the best out of Hill, they link up seamlessly. Another to come back recently is Pato. Maybe it was out of sight out of mind, but he might surprise a few. He's training really well, might be some life left in his Saints career yet.

I'll keep on being bullish about Pou, his attitude has been great. Often first to the coaches after a drill is finished, along with Garcia and Wilson of course - small things like that really shows their focus. He was one of the last out there, barely missed a goal - and they were actual shots on goal (not the hollywood shots most do after training). A 25 and 3 game isn't far away for him.

The guys were very vocal and intensity was up, assuming that was a directive. Finally, I'll report that the new beanies looked good and better than those old faded hats. Jealousy is alive and well from my position at training, oh to be in the in crowd rather than just the lonely little Jackal.

Just coming in here because I haven't received enough abuse in my life recently.

I think the Higgins decision was right. I see some comments in here about how decisions like that a ruining the game, but the fact is that Higgins' wrist grip is a move adapted from the grappling martial arts like jiu jitsu and aikido (there's been lots of reporting on this). It's less a traditional part of AFL footy than umpires in flouro outfits. And it hugely increases the chances that someone will end up concussed. In the Higgins case, no martial arts grappling move, no concussed PA player, no suspension.
We all think Higgins should have been suspended. Pretty sure it's the 3 weeks that we don't agree with.

Precedent in this season alone would suggest it should be less.

This is heading in the direction of rugby though, where 100% of the duty of care lies with the tackler and none with the officiating umpire or with the ball carrier.

At this stage if I'm a ball carrier I'm doing everything I can to kick the ball despite the tackle because the responsibility is with the tackler to look after me. If I'm a tackler I'm holding him upright letting him drop the ball and then trying to push him off his kick to get an incorrect disposal.

Just from the eye test King is fine and was moving freely in full training. Webster is a good to go and as fresh as anyone, I'd be genuinely surprised if he wasn't straight in.

I'm also expecting both Dow and Wood to come in to the side this week.

I think Collard is a big chance simply based on positional needs.

Something tells me Arie might get a game this week. Would mean a lot of changes and Arie might be the least obvious need for this week but I have a feeling he is due.

First time this year we are going to have headaches at the selection table.

Hayes, Steele and Marshall just running, no doubt all 3 are OK but being managed with their training loads.

Henry back in basically full training - love how he plays. Guys like Henry being out there has really brought the best out of Hill, they link up seamlessly. Another to come back recently is Pato. Maybe it was out of sight out of mind, but he might surprise a few. He's training really well, might be some life left in his Saints career yet.

I'll keep on being bullish about Pou, his attitude has been great. Often first to the coaches after a drill is finished, along with Garcia and Wilson of course - small things like that really shows their focus. He was one of the last out there, barely missed a goal - and they were actual shots on goal (not the hollywood shots most do after training). A 25 and 3 game isn't far away for him.

The guys were very vocal and intensity was up, assuming that was a directive. Finally, I'll report that the new beanies looked good and better than those old faded hats. Jealousy is alive and well from my position at training, oh to be in the in crowd rather than just the lonely little Jackal.
Henry is the one we’ve mostly missed. If he hadn’t been injured I think we would be 5-2 the other way round.

Finally, I'll report that the new beanies looked good and better than those old faded hats. Jealousy is alive and well from my position at training, oh to be in the in crowd rather than just the lonely little Jackal.

Pffttt, let them have their fancy new bonce warmers.

Your first hand reporting is as good as any of them

yS6FT3I.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back