Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thommo would have had to do some heavy lifting. Powell was a workhorse but not much more. Beetham looks like e went okay for such a s**t set up.
Speaking of midfields, isn’t it nice to see Jade Gresham playing so well at Essendon??
NOT

At some emotional level, I think is fans were done with Gresh. Can’t put ma finger on it, don’t wanna, cos it could be the Errol Flynn Moustache. Which adds a bit of distance ..looks princely.

But with our midfield in such a state of disrepair and, well, ya know, nuff said and all, …it does hurt a wee lil bit to see Gresh doing it for Brad.

On Higgins ban:
This is from the AFL website.
Although Enbom agreed Aliir's kicking action contributed to his momentum of coming to ground, she said the tackle was unreasonable.
"We find this a clear case of rough conduct," Enbom said.
"Higgins used a poor and dangerous technique in tackling Aliir to ground.
"He grabbed hold of Aliir's left arm and forcefully rotated him to ground.
"Higgins had hold of Aliir's arm in such a way that Aliir had no or little ability to try to protect himself."

I'm super confused because all I see is double talk to mitigate their failure to have a backbone. Enbom clearly agreed that Allir contributed to the impact of the tackle but still said it was all Jacks fault because he is some how a super human tackling machine that can sling tackle someone while holding their arm.

In tribute to the gracious wisdom and compassion shown by the MRO and AFL Tribunal towards Jack Higgins I'm erecting a pyramid of the bones of my ancestors as an act of worship.

Aliir Aliir was hellbent on a reckless act of self-sabotage until up steps his saviour, Jack Higgins. For his selfless act of courage Jack has been rewarded with a three-week holiday from having to play footy. You know the game is in safe hands when the heroism of our players is recognised by our elite and and taken to new heights of fairness!

Speaking of midfields, isn’t it nice to see Jade Gresham playing so well at Essendon??
NOT

At some emotional level, I think is fans were done with Gresh. Can’t put ma finger on it, don’t wanna, cos it could be the Errol Flynn Moustache. Which adds a bit of distance ..looks princely.

But with our midfield in such a state of disrepair and, well, ya know, nuff said and all, …it does hurt a wee lil bit to see Gresh doing it for Brad.
Gresh has dropped significant weight has regained his speed twice the player he was for us last year

Just coming in here because I haven't received enough abuse in my life recently.

I think the Higgins decision was right. I see some comments in here about how decisions like that a ruining the game, but the fact is that Higgins' wrist grip is a move adapted from the grappling martial arts like jiu jitsu and aikido (there's been lots of reporting on this). It's less a traditional part of AFL footy than umpires in flouro outfits. And it hugely increases the chances that someone will end up concussed. In the Higgins case, no martial arts grappling move, no concussed PA player, no suspension.
What are you on about? Aikido is a sham martial art and the idea that grabbing someones wrist is a martial arts move that caused his concussion is a stretch at best. Aliir would have not been concussed had he not left the ground under his own power to kick the ball. No kick, no concussion.

What are you on about? Aikido is a sham martial art and the idea that grabbing someones wrist is a martial arts move that caused his concussion is a stretch at best. Aliir would have not been concussed had he not left the ground under his own power to kick the ball. No kick, no concussion.
Surely not.

NOT

Hardly knocking it out of the park

Just coming in here because I haven't received enough abuse in my life recently.

I think the Higgins decision was right. I see some comments in here about how decisions like that a ruining the game, but the fact is that Higgins' wrist grip is a move adapted from the grappling martial arts like jiu jitsu and aikido (there's been lots of reporting on this). It's less a traditional part of AFL footy than umpires in flouro outfits. And it hugely increases the chances that someone will end up concussed. In the Higgins case, no martial arts grappling move, no concussed PA player, no suspension.
Unadulterated horse s**t!

Martial arts!! :roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1:

You're right, secretly Snags is a super-villain with a lair hidden inside a volcano. He has a cunning plan to win the Coleman medal using sharks with lasers on them to eradicate defenders!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gresh has dropped significant weight has regained his speed twice the player he was for us last year
THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER.

Still kicking goals, as he did for us.
Still blazing away with floaters inside 50 or at goal which used to drive saints fans mad.
It’s a matter of perspective, saints fans tend to only see the bad a player does, now he’s on another team he’s better?

No. You’re only seeing the highlights.

Averaging a career low tackles and marks.
Hasn’t averaged less disposals in 8 years.

Clearances 2.3 ave.
More than last year under RTB
But he averaged 4-5 under Rattens regime.

Currently his 5th best season in terms of average contested possession.

Just from the eye test King is fine and was moving freely in full training. Webster is a good to go and as fresh as anyone, I'd be genuinely surprised if he wasn't straight in.

I'm also expecting both Dow and Wood to come in to the side this week.

I think Collard is a big chance simply based on positional needs.

Something tells me Arie might get a game this week. Would mean a lot of changes and Arie might be the least obvious need for this week but I have a feeling he is due.

First time this year we are going to have headaches at the selection table.

Hayes, Steele and Marshall just running, no doubt all 3 are OK but being managed with their training loads.

Henry back in basically full training - love how he plays. Guys like Henry being out there has really brought the best out of Hill, they link up seamlessly. Another to come back recently is Pato. Maybe it was out of sight out of mind, but he might surprise a few. He's training really well, might be some life left in his Saints career yet.

I'll keep on being bullish about Pou, his attitude has been great. Often first to the coaches after a drill is finished, along with Garcia and Wilson of course - small things like that really shows their focus. He was one of the last out there, barely missed a goal - and they were actual shots on goal (not the hollywood shots most do after training). A 25 and 3 game isn't far away for him.

The guys were very vocal and intensity was up, assuming that was a directive. Finally, I'll report that the new beanies looked good and better than those old faded hats. Jealousy is alive and well from my position at training, oh to be in the in crowd rather than just the lonely little Jackal.

That's great news about King TheJackal

Also pretty bullish on Arie, love blokes with a bit of attitude and talent to back it up.

Still blazing away with floaters inside 50 or at goal which used to drive saints fans mad.
It’s a matter of perspective, saints fans tend to only see the bad a player does, now he’s on another team he’s better?

Clearances 2.3 ave.

I think he looks good and Essendon are locking the ball in really well this year. It's a shame he didn't want to play for less coin and put in the effort for us.

Clearances 2.3 ave.

well right now the bombers are playing much better than us and gresh is a part of that. Still happy we let him walk, incredibly frustrating player, but if his coach is happy we can't knock his form for the dopers (for now)

"Higgins had hold of Aliir's arm in such a way that Aliir had no or little ability to try to protect himself."

I'm super confused because all I see is double talk to mitigate their failure to have a backbone. Enbom clearly agreed that Allir contributed to the impact of the tackle but still said it was all Jacks fault because he is some how a super human tackling machine that can sling tackle someone while holding their arm.
Ummm, maybe it’s just me, but does anyone think that if he just released the ball he may have had 2 arms free to protect himself?

What an absolute crock.

That's great news about King TheJackal

Also pretty bullish on Arie, love blokes with a bit of attitude and talent to back it up.
I don't know Arie personally, but I think the attitude issues are likely more related to immaturity. He seems to like a laugh and a joke, almost someone who doesn't take life too seriously. From purely a football point of view, his change in demeanour from day 1 until now has been a major positive.

I think the professional environment pushed by the maniacal commitment the other draftees have really benefited Arie. Early days but well done Saints for giving him a chance

Well, as someone who practiced Aikido when I was younger, I'll just go and hang my head in shame.
Unadulterated horse s**t!

Martial arts!! :roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1:

You're right, secretly Snags is a super-villain with a lair hidden inside a volcano. He has a cunning plan to win the Coleman medal using sharks with lasers on them to eradicate defenders!!
Just one of many articles: https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-star...tor-to-develop-new-on-field-strengths-135191/

You need to watch games not the stat sheet. He’s playing like he wants to be there this year. He looked like he was saving himself for 2024 last year.

Luke Ball 2009/2010

Disposals 19.6 / 21
Tackles 5.8 / 6.4
Clearances 4.4 / 4.8
Contested Possessions 9.2 /9.8
Goals 3/7

Hopefully we get a similar effect with Dow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back