Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm thinking the opposite way to most on here - make the minimum number of changes - King for Higgins. Move Stocker into the midfield rotations, Hugo takes Higgo's spot in the forward line playing a pressure forward role.

Everyone who played at Sandy stays there to keep building form, with the aim of bringing the cavalry in starting with the Freo game once they've got some quality game time under their belts. I think we'd just be robbing Peter to pay Paul if we started bringing in guys on the strength of one game at Sandy (or none in the case of Webster and Mason), so we should back our current team - which almost knocked off Port - to get the job done against the two bottom teams. If we succeed with that strategy, then our season is well and truly set up for a second half run with relatively match-fit players.
Port proved tonight, that they were poor last week & we were terrible.

Marshall & Steele, late outs.

B. Webster Howard Wilkie

H.B. Hastie Battle NWM

C. Hill Ross Wood

H.F. Garcia King Wilson

F. Collard Hayes Owens

Foll. Campbell Windhager Sinclair

I/C. Byrnes, Membrey, Phillipou, Stocker, Bonner-sub

Marshall & Steele, late outs.

B. Webster Howard Wilkie

H.B. Hastie Battle NWM

C. Hill Ross Wood

H.F. Garcia King Wilson

F. Collard Hayes Owens

Foll. Campbell Windhager Sinclair

I/C. Byrnes, Membrey, Phillipou, Stocker, Bonner-sub
What the ? Where you hear they’re late outs ?

We need to start well and get some confidence up. It's our best chance at having a decent win.

Otherwise, it will be one of those close at 3/4 time before Steele and Sinclair put us on their backs to get us over the line.
I'd love to see a game where we dominate from start to finish...I know it's asking a bit due to the relative inexperience of the list (plus injuries/suspensions etc) But it would be nice to watch a game and just be sure for once...I honestly can't remember the last time that's happened...2009 probably 😏

I'd love to see a game where we dominate from start to finish...I know it's asking a bit due to the relative inexperience of the list (plus injuries/suspensions etc) But it would be nice to watch a game and just be sure for once...I honestly can't remember the last time that's happened...2009 probably 😏
That doesn't happen here.

Move along.

Could Byrnes be playing the forward pressure role?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Probably won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing a Byrnes defensive forward role on Sheezel, our lack of actual small forwards has opened up that possibility. He is by far and away their most damaging player right now, stop him and even we couldn't find a way to lose this game.

It might sound like we should beat North, but the way our tackling quality and the inability to get hands on the ball has fallen away, it may be a very tight game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing a Byrnes defensive forward role on Sheezel, our lack of actual small forwards has opened up that possibility. He is by far and away their most damaging player right now, stop him and even we couldn't find a way to lose this game.

Byrnes needs to start sticking tackles. Falls off a tackle far too often

It might sound like we should beat North, but the way our tackling quality and the inability to get hands on the ball has fallen away, it may be a very tight game
If we continue to tackle ineffectively, not being able to break tackles consistently, and over-committing numbers to the opposition ball carrier, we'll struggle against all teams.

They're hallmarks of a young team, really need improvement in those areas.

I'd love to see a game where we dominate from start to finish...I know it's asking a bit due to the relative inexperience of the list (plus injuries/suspensions etc) But it would be nice to watch a game and just be sure for once...I honestly can't remember the last time that's happened...2009 probably
I mean, we have done that from time to time. Even in the last year of the Ratts, we pummelled Hawthorn by around 70 points. Last year, we donked the Bulldogs to the tune of 51 points and the Suns by nearly 60 points. Those were all nice and comfy. Right now we need something like that, we're out of luck, form, and confidence. I have a feeling something like that is coming.

If Garcia is going to play a small fwd role, we've got 3 actual mids in the selected team.

Going to rely on the likes of Stocker, Byrnes and Sinclair to spend a fair amount of time as mids.

Very surprised that neither Dow or Jones were selected especially if Steele comes out with his knee in plaster like last week.

The thing that pisses me off most about this year is that it's a soft flag and we aren't going to be there to Bradbury it.

There is no clear dominant side this season. A side like Sydney or the Dogs could easily win another flag from 6th to 8th spot. Geelong the top side looks like a worse side than their premiership side a couple of years ago. Anyone one from 1st to 14th could knock each other off on any given week.

Whoever wins the flag this year won't have had to be that brilliant, just need to stay on their feet and have a bit of luck. It's so Saints to miss the soft year and end up challenging in the era of a superpower side.

He definitely could do it. North's backline is obviously shocking but to not have a recognised small is concerning. King should feast in this game though.

You never know which King will turn up. It could be the 5 goal King but could be the 1.3 sulky guy who stands around looking shitty as the ball goes end to end under no pressure.

Byrnes only real POD is his high speed end to end running. I think he's only in the side due to work rate. He's expected to help cover in defence so doubt they stick him in a pocket.

To be fair to Adelaide, they have some really good youth coming through. In a couple of years they'll be a very good side.

I mean, we have done that from time to time. Even in the last year of the Ratts, we pummelled Hawthorn by around 70 points. Last year, we donked the Bulldogs to the tune of 51 points and the Suns by nearly 60 points. Those were all nice and comfy. Right now we need something like that, we're out of luck, form, and confidence. I have a feeling something like that is coming.

We'd have to have a massive turnaround in form. We look like a bottom 4 side right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back