Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stocker and Bonner named on the bench with Webster back in the team.

I think one of Stocker or Bonner is going to be the sub.
Probably need Stock on ball so you imagine it’s Bonner in the sub vest.

Byrnes needs to start sticking tackles. Falls off a tackle far too often
That’s a fair call on Monty but could also relate to anyone in the team.
Monty, without being a star ⭐️ is probably the most reliable gut running give it all player we have.
The only ones that may have come near him are Leo and the D_Train.
Unfortunately both gone on to bigger and better things.

Port proved tonight, that they were poor last week & we were terrible.
I have been thinking all week that last week's game from a Port point of view was similar to our game against Collingwood - good win, but came at a huge price. They lost SPP and Aliir Aliir and had Rozee on one leg last night against a fired up Adelaide.

Their goal kicking is also a huge problem.

That’s a fair call on Monty but could also relate to anyone in the team.
Monty, without being a star ⭐️ is probably the most reliable gut running give it all player we have.
The only ones that may have come near him are Leo and the D_Train.
Unfortunately both gone on to bigger and better things.
Brynes' work rate, and our injury list, are the only things keeping him in the first 22 at the moment.

He doesn't have the size to compete in a marking contest, his tackles are easily broken and his kicking is just ok.

Brynes' work rate, and our injury list, are the only things keeping him in the first 22 at the moment.

He doesn't have the size to compete in a marking contest, his tackles are easily broken and his kicking is just ok.

On 2024 form only Wilkie and Hill would get picked. Marshall and Steele started well too.

I mean, we have done that from time to time. Even in the last year of the Ratts, we pummelled Hawthorn by around 70 points. Last year, we donked the Bulldogs to the tune of 51 points and the Suns by nearly 60 points. Those were all nice and comfy. Right now we need something like that, we're out of luck, form, and confidence. I have a feeling something like that is coming.
Yeah, they were great wins, but I guess I mean having that ballsy confident swagger of knowing that "We're going to smash these guys."
I can't say I had that feeling for any of our better wins in recent memory. It's been more pleasant surprise than anything.
It's pretty bad when I'm wondering how we'll fare against fecking North, and hoping we can kick more than 9 goals 😏

Yeah, they were great wins, but I guess I mean having that ballsy confident swagger of knowing that "We're going to smash these guys."
I can't say I had that feeling for any of our better wins in recent memory. It's been more pleasant surprise than anything.
It's pretty bad when I'm wondering how we'll fare against fecking North, and hoping we can kick more than 9 goals 😏

Until we get proper mids back we are probably going to be putting the clamps on others not playing free running footy.

Still missing Henry, Dow, Crouch etc from an already spartan midfield. Ross is cooked, Windhager is inconsistent and now Steele and Marshall are playing banged up. No small forwards to score and pressure and the side is going to have to run a lockdown across the ground to limit exposure.

Until we get players back it's going to be a pretty ugly brand IMO.

When players like Byrnes aren’t getting a game will probably coincide with the time of us looking more than a middle of the ladder team.

I’m afraid he has reached his ceiling which unfortunately is not high enough to help us rise up the ladder.
Strange considering he has been improving every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd have to have a massive turnaround in form. We look like a bottom 4 side right now.
I think people underestimate how important certain players are to our STRUCTURE. Lots of posters have referenced things like a critical mass of injuries, the amount of youth in the team etc, but the fact is we look good when certain players are in because of those players strengths and how they contribute to our structure. So, our defence looks better when Wood plays, because he can push back, take a contested mark, and then push forward to help our transition. He is the seventh defender.

Someone else takes that role, and they are not as good overhead, or cannot then push forward to provide numbers to help our transition game. Byrnes has probably been asked to do it and is simply not as tall or as good overhead as Wood.

The same applies to Webster, we have very few others that can actually lock down a small forward effectively. So even if we have backline that looks solid, if the opposition have a half reasonable small forward, they start pushing their attacks through that small forward and hitting the scoreboard. Our otherwise solid defence then start rolling off their man to assist in trying to quell that small forward, and their man starts to get some looks! The ripple effect.

I personally am looking forward to Dow and Henry coming into the team. Henry will go some way to replacing Butler, and Dow will go some way to replacing Crouch, who has been a massive loss for us this season. If all can stay in the team on form, we will actually start to make progress if we can then get Higgins, Butler and Crouch available for selection.

Until we get proper mids back we are probably going to be putting the clamps on others not playing free running footy.

Still missing Henry, Dow, Crouch etc from an already spartan midfield. Ross is cooked, Windhager is inconsistent and now Steele and Marshall are playing banged up. No small forwards to score and pressure and the side is going to have to run a lockdown across the ground to limit exposure.

100%

We don’t have the talent to do anything other than execute a game plan that is all about limiting the opposition from scoring and hope we can create a score we can defend. Not Lyons fault, all coaches in charge of list rebuilds with a severe lack of talent have coach the same way and until such time as the basics of team defence are well drilled but just as importantly, the coach has a critical mass of talent that can executed attacking moves that are higher risk.

Strange considering he has been improving every year.

Yep, Byrnes improved his output year on year and is currently on track to do it again this season. Positive signs from a young player, he's hardly the biggest of our problems right now.

I think people underestimate how important certain players are to our STRUCTURE. Lots of posters have referenced things like a critical mass of injuries, the amount of youth in the team etc, but the fact is we look good when certain players are in because of those players strengths and how they contribute to our structure. So, our defence looks better when Wood plays, because he can push back, take a contested mark, and then push forward to help our transition. He is the seventh defender.

Someone else takes that role, and they are not as good overhead, or cannot then push forward to provide numbers to help our transition game. Byrnes has probably been asked to do it and is simply not as tall or as good overhead as Wood.

The same applies to Webster, we have very few others that can actually lock down a small forward effectively. So even if we have backline that looks solid, if the opposition have a half reasonable small forward, they start pushing their attacks through that small forward and hitting the scoreboard. Our otherwise solid defence then start rolling off their man to assist in trying to quell that small forward, and their man starts to get some looks! The ripple effect.

I personally am looking forward to Dow and Henry coming into the team. Henry will go some way to replacing Butler, and Dow will go some way to replacing Crouch, who has been a massive loss for us this season. If all can stay in the team on form, we will actually start to make progress if we can then get Higgins, Butler and Crouch available for selection.

The midfield at the moment is nowhere near equal to other sides. It's going to take a lot of effort to nullify the opposition.

100%

We don’t have the talent to do anything other than execute a game plan that is all about limiting the opposition from scoring and hope we can create a score we can defend. Not Lyons fault, all coaches in charge of list rebuilds with a severe lack of talent have coach the same way and until such time as the basics of team defence are well drilled but just as importantly, the coach has a critical mass of talent that can executed attacking moves that are higher risk.

We are unlucky and were poor at past list management. Dow, Crouch, Henry all out injured. Hunter Clark that could have come in injured. Marshall and Steele now playing injured. Dumped Gresham and Ross is cooked.

We've neglected the midfield but the year we actually chased some mids they all broke down at the same time. Somehow last week we broke even with Port through the midfield but our defence opened up.

Also have no small forward depth and they are both out.

Yeah we're ugly alright...Fugly even. I've only managed to watch our game against Collingwood until the end this year. We're extremely frustrating to watch, and life is just too short to watch us cough up the ball and ruin chance after chance Infront of goal.
Mind you, the umpiring is not helping one iota. I can't remember it being so bad. The last game nearly made me bury my foot in the television.

Yeah it is strange huh, remind me, what is it he’s been improving…?

Without doing a deep dive, think it’s fairly obvious his output and basic stats have been improving each year.

Not every player is going to be a star. Some are just honest workers like Ronny who will fulfil a role on a consistent basis at a time this young core can fulfil its potential.
5afd7aae9ce0cf10e31effe98b4d66da.jpg

100%

I think the game plan is out-dated, and might have worked last time Lyon coached years back but may just be not for today's game.

Also proves what a bit of confidence can do, there will be teams stringing together multiple wins at different points throughout the season (and losses). Hopefully ours is leading into a finals campaign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back