Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Marshall apparently broke the record for contested touches. Not sure how many easy touches off half back he got.

Meek was great. The strong marks, body work and tackles were a real feature.

Seems to be a theme this season with both ruckmen ranking as the top players on the ground.
Most of his touches were just taking it out of the ruck and scrapping it forward. He played well but not sure those touches actually helped the saints.

That Sydney game now looking like an outlier - the only game this season where a side has really got massive run on and destroyed us.

Moorey so good when it mattered.
Ginni and Wiz were so close to having HUGE games - little more polish needed.
Dear is gonna be great
Meek and Marshall was amazing to watch. Meek started so strong but Marshall really got him in the second half. Still really happy with Meek today and over the last month.
Impey very confident and it makes a difference
Frosty playing career-best footy
Scrimshaw was playing so well they had to try and engineer a way to get him out of the way
Thought CMac was good today except for calling for the handball receive and ******* up the goal

How good is it to see us get some wins like the last two weeks with a young side and no key position players (ok ok Scrim and Frost have been incredible - but we weren't calling them key defenders at the start of the season!
And Syd very well could be the team to beat this year

That Sydney game now looking like an outlier - the only game this season where a side has really got massive run on and destroyed us.

Moorey so good when it mattered.
Ginni and Wiz were so close to having HUGE games - little more polish needed.
Dear is gonna be great
Meek and Marshall was amazing to watch. Meek started so strong but Marshall really got him in the second half. Still really happy with Meek today and over the last month.
Impey very confident and it makes a difference
Frosty playing career-best footy
Scrimshaw was playing so well they had to try and engineer a way to get him out of the way
Thought CMac was good today except for calling for the handball receive and ******* up the goal

How good is it to see us get some wins like the last two weeks with a young side and no key position players (ok ok Scrim and Frost have been incredible - but we weren't calling them key defenders at the start of the season!
I’d add the Gold Coast game to the Sydney one, but the gap between our best and worst is definitely shrinking.

2 games and percentage out of the 8

more importantly there are greenshoots everywhere and much of our best 22 missing

these games are crucial - learning to win (rather than trying to lose to get draft picks) is what is going to build this team.

We need to keep rotating players through to keep the younger ones from tiring so maybe Ward comes in for McDonald

Gotta love this team - the coach has everything moving in the right direction all we need now is time and patience (3 weeks ago people were calling for his head)

Areas for improvement, and despite this we still deservedly won.

No goals and only 4 marks from our KPF in Dear and Gunston.

Day worked his way into the game, with 13 touches in the second half. But he had a quiet first half.

Worpel only had 14 touches for the game (5 in the second half). He couldn't get near it.

Nash only had 15 touches, though his impact far outweighed that number IMO (winning hard balls, strong tackles, etc). He can improve on those numbers though.

Areas for improvement, and despite this we still deservedly won.

No goals and only 4 marks from our KPF in Dear and Gunston.

Day worked his way into the game, with 13 touches in the second half. But he had a quiet first half.

Worpel only had 14 touches for the game (5 in the second half). He couldn't get near it.

Nash only had 15 touches, though his impact far outweighed that number IMO (winning hard balls, strong tackles, etc). He can improve on those numbers though.
Liked Mackenzies class at half back too

I'm two hours behind Melbourne time so probably too early for wine, right? MY HEART. OMG.

That was a hard game to watch but the pride and learning from the group will be immense. And all this without a recognised "spine"!

My thoughts, in no particular order:

Scrim: This guy has turned into the weapon we all hoped he would be. Hard as nails defensively, a great intercept mark and and an offensive machine when it's his turn to go. Will have to start getting some attention externally.

Moore: Definite captain material. Plays hard and speaks well. That dribble goal was sensational!

Newc: Went hard at it all game and ended up with 31 hard fought possies. Really working his way back into this season.

Meek: If there was ever a surname that doesn't do a man justice, it's this one! I reckon he came out ahead of Marshall - his bodywork and followup was amazing, took a great contested mark (or two?) and slotted one through. Considering he hasn't had a whole heap of game time with the mids, his connection will only get better.

Amon: His kicks don't come off all the time, but when they do, look out. Didn't stop running all day.

Nash: I'm definitely team Nash so can be accused of being biased, but he provides so much structure around the centre of the ground. Had a couple of great kicks inside 50 and his tackles look like they HURT.

Frenchie: Didn't stop working all day which has been the knock on him earlier in the season. So composed with ball in hand and has a great sidestep and burst speed. Sensational selection from the recruiting team.

The Wiz: Did some wiz stuff! Really impressed with his contested work and tackling pressure too - his closing speed is immense! Gonne enjoy watching this guy for the next 10-15 years.

Day will get better with more game time - I reckon he'll start smashing it in the second half of the season. And Ginni, you owe my apartment neighbours an apology. They would have dead set thought the fire alarm was going off and probably run out of the building with their valuables and pets.

Throw in a couple of tall forwards and Sicily back in defense and I reckon we'll give a lot of teams a hard time this year.

Go hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won every stat. That's a serious win considering we kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half and none in the last.
We've got about 4 blokes to come back that will fix the structural issues.

The Ginni miss would have iced the game. But we managed the last 3 mins better than they did. That was the game.
That's best game you'll ever see from a ruckman, in Marshall, yet Meek still had 47 hitouts. He seriously stood up.

Also Gunner is fried. We need Chol back asap.

A wins a win.
Take it and run. Takes the pressure off Sam.
But that was a hard watch.

Highlights were Wiz and Calsha early.

Had a local footy standard feel. Back to the ugly Launny game.

Meek and Scrimmers good again.

Lucky to hang on not kicking a goal in the last.

Most of his touches were just taking it out of the ruck and scrapping it forward. He played well but not sure those touches actually helped the saints.

He had 12 clearances, but only 50% effectiveness by foot and 4 clangers (which isn't bad given he had 28 touches). Looks like half the touches were rushed kicks forwards.

Another radio game for me. Keep beating the teams we should; any way we can and it's good enough at this stage. Satisfying to hear our song again.

You f’ing beauty!!!!
Two in a row, nothing like winning to help development and belief.
Meek, just wow!
Frost had only one ‘frost’ today, but what a year.
I love Srimma! Every week!
Frosty had a couple of misses today. He sees the free man then by the time it gets to his boot either the guy isn’t free or he’s kicked it to wrong side of him. Just stick to hand balling and the rest has been good.

They won every stat. That's a serious win considering we kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half and none in the last.
We've got about 4 blokes to come back that will fix the structural issues.

The Ginni miss would have iced the game. But we managed the last 3 mins better than they did. That was the game.
That's best game you'll ever see from a ruckman, in Marshall, yet Meek still had 47 hitouts. He seriously stood up.

Also Gunner is fried. We need Chol back asap.

Worse than the Ginni miss was his inability to find a short pass in the last 90 seconds of the game and kick it to a contest that saw the ball go down to St Kilda's forward line.

Next week is going to be a real challenge - hope Sicily and Chol are good to go

Frosty had a couple of misses today. He sees the free man then by the time it gets to his boot either the guy isn’t free or he’s kicked it to wrong side of him. Just stick to hand balling and the rest has been good.
Cant go at 💯 DE, but with 6 mins to go was back to 2022-2023 frosty level. He has had an epic year. Rarely beaten 1/1, only a couple of TOs and would be top 6 in the B&F so far

Marshall apparently broke the record for contested touches. Not sure how many easy touches off half back he got.

Meek was great. The strong marks, body work and tackles were a real feature.

Seems to be a theme this season with both ruckmen ranking as the top players on the ground.
He had the most on the day maybe but he was about 10 off the record.

My comment might have been a bit over the top but I don't necessarily rate contested possessions for slow players or rucks because it doesn't mean you've won a hard ball it just means someone was there when you got the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back