Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Areas for improvement, and despite this we still deservedly won.

No goals and only 4 marks from our KPF in Dear and Gunston.

Day worked his way into the game, with 13 touches in the second half. But he had a quiet first half.

Worpel only had 14 touches for the game (5 in the second half). He couldn't get near it.

Nash only had 15 touches, though his impact far outweighed that number IMO (winning hard balls, strong tackles, etc). He can improve on those numbers though.
I could have sworn Nash had more than that, he was prominent all day. I have him in my top 5 or so.

That game was so ugly to watch, I'm not really wanting to watch the replay.... imagine being a Saints supporter and having that feeling every week. Poor darlings.

Day's return has really added to the midfield. I think this is a big difference from the early games when our mids struggled to get their hands on it. Newcombe and Nash are working so much better now. Concerned with Worpel who can't seem to get involved after a super start to the season. Of course Day's inclusion helps and he will only get better. I was super impressed with McKenzie again. Knows how to work his way through traffic and is very clean. Super signs from him. And Weddle. If he stays in the backline long term then he will own it. Finally, not a criticism but I think Watson and Ginnivan need to work very hard on their kicking skills. Missing too many easy shots. Concerned with Ginnivan's general kicking around the ground and decision making too. He doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence at present. Not sure. Oh, and it seemed to me that the saints were getting too many easy loose ball gets. It looks to me as though players are still not positioning themselves correctly for the ball when in dispute, including when it is brought to ground from a marking contest. It just seemed to me that the Saints always got their hands on it first and had plenty of time and space and dominated when the ball was loose especially, in the second half. I could be wrong.

The tackling has been the highlight in the last two weeks. Whereas earlier in the season we were being brushed off and sides were running through us, that hasn’t been the case in recent times.

Jai is a bull and just makes everyone stand tall when he is playing well. He is a barometer for us.

Moore is a seriously good hard working half forward. Does as much defensively as he does in attack.

Scrimshaw is in career best form. Long may it continue.

Meek is just a huge man that has decided he is going to be the AFL first choice ruck that we recruited him to be. Has been awesome and coming into prime rucking years now.

Day is a very smart footballer that makes others better as a result. Building beautifully after a few weeks back. How we and his teammates, missed him earlier this season.

Amon in a great stretch of form. Has been a great pick up

There has been a great lift overall from all in the team. Effort and spirit has been terrific. Even without the structure due to injuries, we have deserved both wins.

Keep it up boys.

Great win, albeit an ugly one. Newcombe looking better, caused them issues all day. Wiz kicking a couple was great, also ran hard all day, it’ll come with him. Meek and scrimshaw great again, Day working back into it.

The saints threw everything they had at that, and realky were only in it due to some simple misses by us. Ross will be praying the doggies lose, as the knives will be out

This Saints team has some really exciting players in the mix, but jeez they play boring footy.

As soon as the tempo of the game changed to theirs I thought we were in strife- really impressive from the boys to grind through it- really mature response.

Underrated game from cam mckenzie , that's the hardest I've seen him attack the contest .

Soon he will start getting better separation and rack up good attacking possessions. For now, he is getting his hands on the ball a lot which quite impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

NEVER IN DOUBT BIGMAXI, NEVER IN DOOOUBT!!!

SUCKED IN ROSCO YOU SOUR FACED GIT

Shirt Streaker GIF by Bradford City AFC

CBA's out of a max of 19:

18 - Meek
14 - Worpel
13 - Day
12 - Newcombe
11 - Nash
6 - Moore
1 - Mackenzie
1 - Dear
The cba's for Worpel are interesting considering you said that he wasn't getting near it, because I saw him continually working, using his body to make space for others. Four tackles and pretty high amount of metres gained.

Now, yeah, stats. But Worpel appears to be marked harder irrespective of what he does. He was solid today. And that was needed.

The good: Moore, Newk, Meek, Scrimshaw

The bad: not having a game plan to stop st kilda waltzing the ball out of the d50 after we’d get a behind / they’d get a mark

The ugly: kicking Long to a fwd line with Moore, Ginni, Hardwick and Watson…
Goal kicking.
Us having a transition play from a defensive behind that appears to be one of “1 kick short then pump it long to a big contest on the wing and hope it goes out so we can try and win the stoppage”

The bad: not having a game plan to stop st kilda waltzing the ball out of the d50 after we’d get a behind / they’d get a mark

Goal kicking.
Us having a transition play from a defensive behind that appears to be one of “1 kick short then pump it long to a big contest on the wing and hope it goes out so we can try and win the stoppage”
The last bad will come when we actually have a marking tall to kick to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot's of good stuff but that period end of Q3 Wiz has a poor set shot after the 50 pen, then start of 4th Moore misses one followed by Ginny right in front...I thought we were going to pay for those.

The Duke was in all of it, leading the hard ball fight. Now he's found some form we look so much better.

The cba's for Worpel are interesting considering you said that he wasn't getting near it, because I saw him continually working, using his body to make space for others. Four tackles and pretty high amount of metres gained.

Now, yeah, stats. But Worpel appears to be marked harder irrespective of what he does. He was solid today. And that was needed.

Nash worked hard too but didn't get reward for effort in relation to his possession numbers. He certainly had a bigger impact on the game than his numbers would suggest though.

Worpel had 7 clearances, which was our second highest behind Newcombe. He always works hard but he didn't get his hands on the ball as much as usual today - but then again neither did Ross, Windhager or Sinclair either.

Edit: Worpel is only averaging 16.7 touches over the last 6 games. Maybe his role is changing.

2 IN A ROWWWWW!!!
Yes. I'm booking my seats for September!
I could have sworn Nash had more than that, he was prominent all day. I have him in my top 5 or so.

That game was so ugly to watch, I'm not really wanting to watch the replay.... imagine being a Saints supporter and having that feeling every week. Poor darlings.
Ross Lyon coached teams are engaged in a crime against humanity.

Doesn't show in supercoach but Meek outplayed Marshall by a mile I feel. Way more damaging, Marshall got a tonne of cheap ball off half back and used it very poorly. No score involvements is fairly damning.
You should lose scores if you turn the ball over. Worst 160 SC score Ive ever seen. Makes it look like he smashed Meek and that couldn't be further from the truth. Meek much more influential across the match.

Worse than the Ginni miss was his inability to find a short pass in the last 90 seconds of the game and kick it to a contest that saw the ball go down to St Kilda's forward line.

Next week is going to be a real challenge - hope Sicily and Chol are good to go
Yes, we had 2 forward entries late that they took uncontested marks from. Just needed to kick it into the pocket to spoil over for a boundary throw in.

Goal kicking.
It looked like we tried one today.
Weddle led to the opposite side where the majority of players were.... Then we had someone running on the outside of him on the wing to then either get the handball or provide an overlap option... He almost took the mark too.
I think its the first time ive seen us try something like it. Hope there is more to come.

Nash worked hard too but didn't get reward for effort in relation to his possession numbers. He certainly had a bigger impact on the game than his numbers would suggest though.

Worpel had 7 clearances, which was our second highest behind Newcombe. He always works hard but he didn't get his hands on the ball as much as usual today - but then again neither did Ross, Windhager or Sinclair either.

Edit: Worpel is only averaging 16.7 touches over the last 6 games. Maybe his role is changing.
I was surprised he only 15 touches. Felt like a 30+ he had that much of an impact around the stoppages.

Worpel had 3rd most contest possessions, 2nd most clearances and equal 3rd most score involvements.

Just wasn’t getting many uncontested possessions around the ground. Which isn’t the first time that’s happened.

Seems to be playing a lot more defensive role around the contest rather than getting on the move through stoppages and trying to burst out.

At the same time his more defensive role has helped Newcombe win more ball. Need to work out a way to get all four firing at once. Not sure it’s really happened outside of a couple of games last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back