Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle with a game high five spoils for us. Holding down a key post with aplomb. It's scary how dominant he could be after preseason number 6
I think he’s the most valuable asset on our list with the highest upside. Doesn’t mean he will be our best player, but he could be. And I have no idea what role that will be in. Doing a great job playing key defence in his second season but still feel his highest and best use will be in a more attacking role.

A terrific win in the circumstances:
1. We have real depth now. Despite a long injury list including several key players, we were able to execute our game plan.
2. Fatigue set in during the second half, which is not surprising given the six day break and the omission of two of our best endurance runners. This impacted on both decision-making and execution, but our structures and commitment held up remarkably well.
3. It was a team effort. Everyone contributed and helped out when needed.

This all bodes well for much improved consistency of performance. With the natural development of the squad and the acquisition of one or two marquee players over the next year or two we have every reason to look forward to becoming a serious contender.

Game high pressure acts.
Close to game high tackle count.
Nash was huge in thwarting their movement out of contests.
Thought he played the ultimate inside defensive mid game.
One of our best this week.
An interesting Nash stat is 74% ToG. Maybe he was being conserved a bit in case Meek succumbed to an injury.

I think he’s the most valuable asset on our list with the highest upside. Doesn’t mean he will be our best player, but he could be. And I have no idea what role that will be in. Doing a great job playing key defence in his second season but still feel his highest and best use will be in a more attacking role.
Really noticeable when he spoils in a pack just how high he gets off the ground, got a great leap.

Close game so what was the difference?
Saints backs were ok, Hawks backs were excellent.
Saints had no small forwards, Hawks had small forwards and they were excellent.
Saints coaching was meh, Hawks coaching was excellent.
In, say three years, when you blokes will likely really be pushing for finals (again), Reeves will be the age Ro Marshall is now.

Honestly I take a lot more out of a scrappy, hard-fought win over a mid range team like StKilda than I do over a strong late season win over a top 4 team like the Lions / Pies.

These are the types of games you have to win to make the finals and I think it shows the progression of the sides maturity that we have done it two weeks in a row.

You can't always win by playing at 100%, you need to find a way to win ugly when the need arises.
Exactly.

But can we do it on a cold rainy night at Stoke? Our next challenge.

In, say three years, when you blokes will likely really be pushing for finals (again), Reeves will be the age Ro Marshall is now.
You missed Higgins big time.

Those missed opportunities caused me to rant & rave.
Wiz can tap Howard on the bum, but if he doesn't convert it don't mean squat.
The Ginni miss was inexplicable.
I can excuse the Amon, Moore & Cmac misses, even if I do expect more (ie a score from Amon to tie the score). Moore has been our best shot at goal all year.
That Ginni slow the play down and bomb long was super frustrating. I expect him to learn from that if he didn't recognise it as a mistake at the time.

That being said, our newfound tenacity and hunt is so much better.
I absolutely loved the cheekiness (pun intended) of the Wiz, given time he will nail those shots and you like me will be laughing.
Moores kick was frustrating because it failed to go the distance, tired legs perhaps? Cmacs always looked 50/50 to me and hopefully after the review he improves in situations like that to give himself better odds of kicking a goal.
Ginni hmmmm directly in front. I wasn't upset but rather thought that these things happen sometimes. Is it lack of concentration that caused it? He definitely wouldn't want to do it again.
Amon is such a good kick and advantages the team far often than not, nothing to worry about there.
The Ginni bomb, certainly the coaches & Ginni come to an agreement on what are the right options to consider and the right action take when situations like that ever happen in the future.
We've got a few young small & hungry goalkickers that don't mind the spotlight and sticking it to the opposition. Mistakes will be made but once they gel .......Boom! Then throw in Chad to the mix.

Credit to Impey for having another quality game. He's back to his best pre-injury form.

Also, despite that shocking miss Ginnivan had a good game, he was still our 5th highest possession getter for the day. He is working hard up the ground and still having an impact even if he's not kicking multiple goals a game.
People forget how good Impey was pre injury.
Him flying again is immense for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall apparently broke the record for contested touches. Not sure how many easy touches off half back he got.

Meek was great. The strong marks, body work and tackles were a real feature.

Seems to be a theme this season with both ruckmen ranking as the top players on the ground.
He kept grabbing it out the ruck which counts as a contested possession. Not many were effective.

It was a St.Kilda record, not AFL.

He kept grabbing it out the ruck which counts as a contested possession. Not many were effective.

It was a St.Kilda record, not AFL.
I would hate to be one of their mids at a stoppage and the ruckman just keeps grabbing it out of the ruck and blindly kicking it leading to turn over after turn over. That’s not team footy.
Take away the stats sheet Meek beat him, and I would much rather Meek in my team.

What a game! That was one of the most stressful things I have watched. If I thought last week was bad with the ball being in our forward half and a goal up, being in their forward half and only 5 points up is much worse. So proud of the boys to get two wins in a row. Great game for the skipper, injury seems to come with the job, but he played through it and was monumental in the win. Meek Saturday was on fire, don’t think Reeves will be getting a chance any time soon. Can’t wait for Meek Monday. Wiz with two goals played so good, stressed me out when he played on that he would do a repeat of last week, but glad he didn’t. Breust back in the team adds so much knowledge and value, love seeing the cradle celebration. Ginni played well, love him but he should’ve kicked that goal in the last easily. Jars great as always, has to be our most consistent player each week. Frosty, Weddle, and Scrimma great down back. Amon with amazing disposal efficiency, a great kick through the centre for a goal, and a fantastic game overall. That was probably our most consistent game of footy in a long time, and we led the whole game. Love to see the progress the boys have made in terms of turnovers, momentum, and pressure. Overall a great game by the lads, and happy to come away with the win. Next up, Port in Adelaide, hopefully with Sic back.

Amazing how good we looked in the first quarter when we were kicking straight - it allows us to keep up the pressure.

We're doing all the hard things well now. It's the easier things (or maybe, the more precision things) that we need to improve on. Kicks into 50 and shots at goal).

Next week will be a test and I expect we'll get beaten by Port who are ridiculously hot and cold. But who knows - we've already seen a few surprises this year.

and reeves will be playing box hill. All hail King Meek.

I did laugh when he did this. The Lad had tunnel vision for the ball & put a damn fine spoil on Dimma. Obviously the lack of awareness that Dimma was about to mark it wasn't good but the way he spoilt the ball, golly this young lad could play all over the ground.
Keep your eye on him, he might be go alright 😉
I put this ‘error’ on his team mates. There can’t have been anyone calling Dimma in for that mark, or calling for young Calsher to protect Dimma. Loved the attack at the contest, even though it was his team mate.

PS - Thanks for all the love after my horrific news last week. We laid Crackers to rest on Thursday, his coffin was covered entirely in Hawks Membership scarves. Was an extremely emotional day, but we farewelled him in Crackers style with lots of Ouzo and Sambuca! I bet he was smiling down on York Park yesterday afternoon too🤩

Remove this Banner Ad

Back