Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised something.
The last time St Kilda played down at Lonny was 2018! Maverick Weller played!!

Six seasons is a long time!

Team that day

Geary Brown Gilbert
Webster Carlisle Savage
Newnes Steele Acres
Weller Membrey Billings
Gresham McCartin Long
Hickey Ross Steven
White Coffield Dunstan Sinclair

So players are above criticism?
This week is not the first time that Max's attitude on field has been questioned.
He'll come out and snag 5 goals because he's had the rocket put under him. And that there is the biggest issue.
It shouldn't take having the heat put on you from the media to pull the finger out.

He has ability. No question about that.
However more and more people are starting to question other parts to his game. That's fair. It's a competitive sport. It's highly scrutinised every minute of the day. 7 days a week.
It took a bloke coming back from a long period of time off due to injury to show the forwards how to lead to the ball.
Yet it seems that Max continually calls for the ball on his head. It's frustrating to supporters and I'd suggest it's frustrating as hell to the coaches.

Nothing in there is hate.
It's a bit like suggesting that Pou should be given time in the VFL. He's been in a slump. He needs to get his hand on the ball more. Doing that in the VFL is not a bad thing.

So players are above criticism?
This week is not the first time that Max's attitude on field has been questioned.
He'll come out and snag 5 goals because he's had the rocket put under him. And that there is the biggest issue.
It shouldn't take having the heat put on you from the media to pull the finger out.

He has ability. No question about that.
However more and more people are starting to question other parts to his game. That's fair. It's a competitive sport. It's highly scrutinised every minute of the day. 7 days a week.
It took a bloke coming back from a long period of time off due to injury to show the forwards how to lead to the ball.
Yet it seems that Max continually calls for the ball on his head. It's frustrating to supporters and I'd suggest it's frustrating as hell to the coaches.

Nothing in there is hate.
It's a bit like suggesting that Pou should be given time in the VFL. He's been in a slump. He needs to get his hand on the ball more. Doing that in the VFL is not a bad thing.
It's not that it's the 'He doesn'thave the attitude/hasn't faced any adversity/ etc etc

If getting selected was based on training, Mattaes would never miss a game. I know he's been disappointing this season, especially last week, but I'm still on the Phillipou train. It's simply just a matter of time before he explodes. He is so clean and skilful and is working harder than everyone out there, it'll click soon.
Putting in the effort at training is important, because it shows that he is hungry and is trying to get better.

Ross wants to see him bring that same effort and intensity on the field, which is why he has given him plenty of game time.
It can be good for a young player to go back to the VFL for a week or two so that they can dominate and build up some confidence before being brought back into the team.

Still personally cannot see Mattaes getting dropped. He's here for the long-run, and Ross would've been able to drop him half a dozen times now if he wanted to. Ross' attitude with Darcy getting winded was too keep playing and set the culture, and I feel that it's the same with Mattaes here. Keep playing and he'll come good.

Hastie and Byrnes the only real contenders for me to be dropped. Henry to come in for one of them, and the other to sub. Garcia's done enough to hold his spot.

Don't think Arie will get a run yet still. Defence did very well on the weekend aside from Jimmy's first quarter hiccup.

It's not that it's the 'He doesn'thave the attitude/hasn't faced any adversity/ etc etc

Well in the game on the weekend. He's attitude to the outside observer was not up to scratch. It isn't the first time his attitude has been questioned. The real issue is, will he act on that or continue to put in those types of efforts.

What made it more apparent on Saturday is when you place him beside Hayes who was coming back from some pretty decent adversity himself, the apparent attitude and effort was chalk and cheese.

2016 and the Hawks get home by 3 points with a fair bit of assistance from the umps - “not 15, play on!”

And oh Paddy; what could’ve been

j7U5rLl.gif
Doc,

The memories of that afternoon at UTAS.

I wasn't there that afternoon but what a grab.

I thought that afternoon signaled the arrival of Paddy as the big pack marking foward.

Time clouds the memory a little but he's much closer to the goal than I remember.

And he missed !!!!!!!!

And from memory....there were 2 of those not 15 play on decisions that went against us.

Well in the game on the weekend. He's attitude to the outside observer was not up to scratch. It isn't the first time his attitude has been questioned. The real issue is, will he act on that or continue to put in those types of efforts.

What made it more apparent on Saturday is when you place him beside Hayes who was coming back from some pretty decent adversity himself, the apparent attitude and effort was chalk and cheese.
If Hayes had the same attitude as supposedly King. Hayes would stay in VFL until his contract finished at the end of this year. Hayes has to give his all and more if he wants another contract with the Saints.

Just realised something.
The last time St Kilda played down at Lonny was 2018! Maverick Weller played!!

Six seasons is a long time!
Now that is a terrifting thought/flashback....."bleach" played in that game...!!!!!

Who said time heals ...!!!!!

:):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vibes I'm after this weekend:
View attachment 1982072
How good is the guy in the Saints suit.

I used to see 2 guys in Saints suits at some of the away games......they looked spectacular.

Looking at the pic.......I'm sure this guy is the one who is no longer with us.....a few posters on here I believe knew him.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of.....it's so apt that he's holding a pot of beer as he was always getting p***ed.

RIP good man.

You were a true Saint to the end.

Dude 'recruit', what crap. You want to post trash, you're gonna get called out on it. You have an agenda against certain players 'Sharman' and you criticism of King is beyond unreasonable.

what's the name of your gang, it sounds scary....thanks for keeping the place safe.

Doc,

The memories of that afternoon at UTAS.

I wasn't there that afternoon but what a grab.

I thought that afternoon signaled the arrival of Paddy as the big pack marking foward.

Time clouds the memory a little but he's much closer to the goal than I remember.

And he missed !!!!!!!!

And from memory....there were 2 of those not 15 play on decisions that went against us.
Agreed! I was down the other end and thought he was a lot further out. I was right where the consecutive "not 15" decisions were made. After the game, we went for a drink in the foyer of the fancy hotel nearby. Place was packed with Hawks fans. The umpires walked in to go up to their rooms and they got a round of applause from the fans!

Was also there in 2009 when we took our Auskick team down and smashed the reigning premier. Buddy also lost a tooth that day.

I find the King hate extraordinary. Tom Hawkins in his first 5 seasons played 79 games and kicked 107 goals. King has played 76 games in 5 seasons and kicked 147 goals.
King missed an entire year, so this is his 6th year in the system.

By the same age (2012) Hawkins had transformed into the best forward in the comp kicking 60+ goals and dominating. In 2011 he was just about best on in a GF.

Max is not even remotely close to the player Hawkins was at the same age.

For me Dow is a must in this week. Not as a sub either we need him in the middle from the start. My changes:

IN: Dow, Henry & Collard
OUT: Pou, Byrnes, Hastie or Skunk
(SUB: Garcia)

Also maybe Arie in for Bonner, would be great for Arie on his home deck.

Another question.. what becomes of Cordy? He was managed last week. Been ok this year.

How can they drop Pou now? After all this? They carried him through all of last season on a promise. And a third of this season. I can’t see how they can change course mid stream. They’ve known for ages he gets his dozen touches and that’s what he does. How can that all of a sudden not be enough?

How can they drop Pou now? After all this? They carried him through all of last season on a promise. And a third of this season. I can’t see how they can change course mid stream. They’ve known for ages he gets his dozen touches and that’s what he does. How can that all of a sudden not be enough?
He would probably not be getting criticized so much if he had 12 touches again. Last week he had 5 disposals (including 2 clangers, 1 goal assist and 1 behind), 0 tackles and was the lowest rated player on the ground.

If a dozen touches is what's classified as enough then he hasn't reached a dozen in a month, has kicked 1 goal in a month, kicked 1 behind in a month. The 1 behind indicates he's not getting near it, 5 tackles in a month.

I get the argument that you learn more at the top level but I don't think it applies here, is he learning more standing in the packs at AFL or learning more getting more volume of possessions, shots, clearance work etc at VFL and then applying that to afl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back